Notices

One Month Down~

Old 06-11-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Month Down~

I've been sober for one month so far, and am feeling pretty good about it.

Everything else kind of sucks...

My anxiety, depression and paranoia is through the roof. Alcohol was my solutions for covering those three up tight and quiet. My meds are supposed to fix all that, but I'm yet to see any results. blah. Music is my drug to keep me occupied from all that silliness.

I'm still going to my group therapy program, and wonder when I should sign myself from it because I feel as if I've gained everything I'm going to gain going there. At times, I get tiny urges to drink, hearing other's war stories, and struggles to maintain sober. At first it helped,because I was on the same bought, but now I feel it's counterproductive.

I want to move on to the next big thing already. I don't want to lie in a cesspool of pointless repetition.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

For many of us it takes time -- years -- to develop the kind of dependence on alcohol that nearly kills us. And then we're all in a hurry to heal and get on with our lives. It's a natural impulse, but time and patience are needed to bring us to a better place.

The symptoms you describe are natural after putting down the drink. Google "post-acute withdrawal syndrome" -- PAWS.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there. It gets better.... A lot.

I'm at 9 months and can honestly say it was not "wonderful" until after the third. But even then I had the odd moment where I was down.

Push through and it gets better. Your brain is healing and it takes a while.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by Resurwrecked View Post

My anxiety, depression and paranoia is through the roof. Alcohol was my solutions for covering those three up tight and quiet. My meds are supposed to fix all that, but I'm yet to see any results. blah. Music is my drug to keep me occupied from all that silliness.
We used booze as a coping mechanism, only to find out it was a doping mechanism. I appreciate that, having done it myself...thinking I was doing myself and everyone around me a favor by medicating my depression, mania, anxiety and paranoia with booze.

I was wrong. And meds can help take the edge off while we work on our underlying issues, but honestly, I doubt meds will fix it all. I totally hear you on the music part. Thank god for music...!

Everything you describe if super common in early sobriety, and it does get better...when we realize that going backwards is never going to take us where we want to be...we decide to keep moving forwards...like being in labor, there's only one way to get the baby out.

Sometimes particular groups do stop being useful. Since group has helped you so far, maybe you can find another one that is more solution focused and less drinking war stories. Those tales of woe don't do me any good either. Sometimes the stories are so grim that I feel the whole darn world is too sick and hopeless to bother with.

hang in there
Old 06-12-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Ditto what TIM1 said. It was about 3 months when I started feeling like I might be out of the woods. I have 213 days today and I feel great. It get's better.