Notices

Exercise and increased social confidence?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exercise and increased social confidence?

As a recovering alcoholic, I realise that much of my drinking in the early stages of my addiction was to increase social confidence and make myself feel more at ease in social situation s - something I'm sure some on here can relate to.

Well I've been sober for 40 days and have done a fair amount of exercise, mainly in the form of long walks but also daily dumbbell lifting. I have noticed that I have become much more outgoing in social situations and have a newfound confidence in my self. This may either be because my arms have got bigger and my body looks more toned so I have more body confidence or it could be a sort of placebo effect as I haven't drank in a while and am riding the pink cloud...

But I was also wondering if it could e directly related to exercise? I mean I did notice back in high school that all the more confident people were those who played lots of sports and lifted weights etc. in America these oeople I think are referred to as 'jocks'. Just wanted to get some opinions from people who have derived positives from exercising in recovery such as more social confidence.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Endorphins, yes.

I haven't exercised much yet in recovery. (Bit over a year.) Really, really miss that.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with you - but I'm not sure it's the actual "exercise", but perhaps just the fact that you are involved in activities.

During the end of my drinking days, I had nothing new to tell anyone. I was still not working. I didn't go anywhere. I hadn't met anyone and I had nothing to share. I hadn't DONE ANYTHING! So of course, in social situations, I always felt a bit misplaced, and drinking fixed that. When you substitute activities and events in place of alcohol, you have "social ammo" for your next encounter. Add physical activity to that list and you're really cooking. And it only snowballs from there - the more things you do, the more socially comfortable you become, and so forth.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just hit the gym today. It felt great. I know when I was drinking I hated the way I looked and felt. Not just my body image, but the feeling of no control. Now I am in control of my health, the way I look, the way I feel. That gives me confidence in myself and that confidence spills over into my social world. Keep it up!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I think it's endorphins and other hormones and things released. It just makes you feel good You're also accomplishing something and taking care of yourself. Good job!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

Yes, exercise has been shown to have all kinds of positive mental health benefits. I also find that the better sense I have of my physical self builds confidence, completely outside of how I look... It's like literally having surer footing in the world.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's funny how things (good or bad) often come together all at once. In my case, after I got sober, exercise led me to look better, eat healthier, want to quit smoking, and from losing weight, it effectively lowered my risk of re-injuring my back (I have had lower back issues for years, and doctors find that being overweight is the main predictor of re-injury).

All of these outcomes led me to feel more confident. I can now fit into "slim" fit dress shirts, which also makes me both look and feel snazzy. There's a big positive feedback cycle to exercise, as is the case with many healthy activities. Whatever reason it actually is, working out has to at least have SOMETHING to do with your confidence. Keep it up!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Nothing makes me feel as confident as when I exercise, for me it is jogging. The endorphins and the way your clothes fit differently. Keep it up and great job on 40 days sober!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been in Birkram Yoga and its made a HUGE difference in my attitude and confidence.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mountain biking baby! Yes ! It is great for confidence and spiritual well being.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!!!

Yes. As someone who battles depression along with alcoholism and a host of other disorders, nothing helps like working up a nice sweat and getting some exercise. Of course as a good alcoholic I tend to over do it so it takes me days to recover... Just like drinking. Lol.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah, hard running can be great. The pain and heavily increased oxygen consumption.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have 13 days and have been running and walking the past week. I feel much better than I ever have before because I also quit smoking. Going out and just walking for hours is also meditative and helps me learn to think of new ways of seeing myself and my addiction. My anxiety has gone down but I am not as outgoing as I was when I had a few beers. I hope I will get to that point in my sobriety in a few months. Good luck!