Notices

How often are you around alcohol?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How often are you around alcohol?

It worked out for me last nite. My drinking friends aren't a-holes, so I went to Beer Pong and didn't get pressured. I wasn't the only one to not drink.

Seemed like I was more myself than when I'm drunk. And now I'm not hungover.

I could see going to Pong less though. It's every week and sometimes twice a week.

And grief....I had some to-do's this weekend that are not done. It's not the socializing, it's the brain fog. At least I'm not drinking, but dang I'll be back at work tonite at 11pm and did VERY LITTLE.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

Hmm. I'm around alcohol pretty regularly... My roommates keep it in the house, I still go to parties, out to dinner, events where alcohol is served. Several times a week most likely.

But I don't think I'd go to beer pong sober!! Something so booze-centric sounds to me either too boring or too tempting, depending on my mood. But if you genuinely enjoy it and don't feel tempted, then I guess why not?
Old 06-09-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'm rarely around alcohol. By choice.

Your friends can be saints, but gathering for beer pong sounds like a recipe for relapse. If these folks are indeed your friends, suggest an alternative to gathering for a drinking game. Friends will do sober activities with you. Drinking buddies won't.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm rarely around it anymore. I live alone, keep none in the house, and avoid bars these days so..
Old 06-09-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I live alone, no alcohol in my house. Wine and beer are around when I am at family functions and it does not bother me. Club soda is my drink of choice. If it ever starts to get to me, I just go home early.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm rarely around it.
I'm not scared of it, it's just boring to me - it offers me nothing, and I do not suffer drunks gladly.

A team of wild horses could not drag me to a beer pong night.

D
Old 06-09-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rarely
Old 06-09-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Daily. My husband drinks.

It takes some getting used to, but as far as I am concerned, alcohol is poison.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm around it all the time but it rarely speaks to me anymore. I still get a secret thrill waking up on mornings where I would have been hungover feeling fresh.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am around it often enough...my wife still drinks. We keep a fridge full of beer in the basement for company. We have a cupboard full of wine for company too. I still get bottles at Christmas despite telling everyone that I don't drink. Today I even had to lineup and order two beer at a bar for two friends because each rider in this charity race I did got two free beer and they had already drank theirs!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been around it maybe 2-3 times in the past 70 days. A good friend of ours drinks and keeps his fridge stocked, so it's no surprise it's there. If I pop in unannounced there's gonna be beer, wine or vodka in the fridge in plain view and I just mentally prepare myself for this... if we go over for an invite, he removes it out of respect for my sobriety.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I don't keep alcohol in the house. My best friend is an active alcoholic and when he is drinking I stay away, not because the booze bothers me but because he turns into an obnoxious jackass and it triggers my codependency.
Other people drinking does not tempt me but I do not play with fire either, I definitely would not join anyone in a game of beer pong whatever that is and I do not go to bars (did not go when I was drinking either).
Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

I am not around it at all! When I started the step program I kicked "People Places & Things" to the curb. I don't go around alcohol, people who use alcohol and I don't go to places that could be a trigger and I got rid of things that could be a trigger. I don't "flirt" with my addiction at all. I am 210 days sober today and loving every minute of it!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Baloo,

Honestly, I would find a night of beer pong pretty tough. If there is alcohol at a party or a cocktail hour or dinner or a ballgame or something, no big deal... the point of the activity isn't (entirely, exclusively) to get drunk, so I can not drink and still enjoy socializing, etc. There is still a good reason for me to be there.

But a drinking game? I'm with Dee on that...
Old 06-09-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

A team of wild horses could not drag me to a beer pong night.

D
Oh wow this cracked me up! Thanks for the laugh Dee.

Being around alcohol?

I have a wine cellar here, an open bottle of leftover Vodka, and a few beers in the fridge. I had poured everything out except the wine when I first got sober. The beer and wine my wife will eventually drink. The Vodka will be consumed by a friend one of these days.

That stuff is just here. I never even think about it.

I avoid drinking events and bars though. I have no interest in alcohol related activities. Seeing drunks just reminds me why I quit and annoys me. Not necessarily in that order.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dave H. I'm a day or two behind you, so over 200 days. My husband and son are also participating members of AA, so our household is drug free zone. When I went into Rehab last November my husband packed away my nice wine opener, and wine glasses. The obvious stuff. We go out to eat, so ya, I'm around it in those public situations. Looking back, I know that even before my last drink, I knew " that I was powerless over alcohol, and that my life had become unmanageable" ( to paraphrase). Admitting and finally saying " I'm Bobbi, and I'm an alcoholic". WOW...
Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

When new in AA I had no effective defence against the first drink. Hiding from alcohol would therefore not work as there would come a day when a drink would appear magically in front of me. It had already happened many times and I drank without thought.

I was told I could get a defence from a Higher Power, that it came in the form of a spiritual experience as the result of working the steps, so I chose to follow this path.

As a result I have never had any temptation or issues being around booze, working with booze (when I owned a restaurant) or seeing others drinking. The problem has been removed.

My social circle is different now, I hardly ever see someone over indulging. When i was a rep I the other reps used to get a bit under the weather at conferences, but it wasn't my kind of drinking and it did not bother me.

This is really the nub of the AA program. If you take the steps and have your spritual experience, and remain in fit spiritual condition by helping others, you get taken to a different place. You can go anywhere that free men can go and have no fear of picking up a drink. You don't need to hide, you are free to experience everything life has to offer. That's my experience and that is what the Big Book promises.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm around it everyday, as my husband drinks. I'd prefer it if our home were alcohol-free, learning to let that one go...
Old 06-10-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm around alcohol at least 2 or 3 times each week. And it's often free. This is due to my occupation. However, I am only around it for an hour or so each time. I get my business done and get away from the booze. I don't keep alcohol at home, and right now I don't attend social functions with alcohol.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I bet now I am around alcohol maybe 3 times a year....and that is if a restaraunt sells it lol. My old life it was 24/7. I don't associate with anyone who drinks....I had to change all my surroundings for me to stay sober. If people do drink and Im around it though, It don't bother me. I just choose to hang out with people who don't..........plus the stuff drunks say isnt funny anymore like I thought it was lol