Notices

Medical Help Is Good

Old 06-09-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Medical Help Is Good

Friday was the second day of my sobriety and I finally called my doctor that morning. My regular doctor was out, but another doc in the same office saw me that afternoon, and we did a follow-up yesterday morning.

She put me on a 9 day taper of Oxazepam (15 mg), which is what I wanted. I've done this taper before, and for me, is effective in managing the symptoms. The 9 day taper is 3 for 3 days, 2 for 3 days, 1 for 3 days. Ativan tends to put me out or make me foggy. Oxazepam is a longer release benzo, so there's not so much of a "high," it just calms the shakes, allows me to eat, and allows me to sleep normally. All good things, and when taken as directed, tapers off without any side effects, except maybe the sleep, which I generally have problems with when sober.

It felt so good to eat and sleep Friday night. I was able to eat relatively normally yesterday, and do so much needed yard work. It looked like nobody lived at my house the yard was so bad. I have a small yard, and I did the work in short increments. I think the physical labor helped too. I set myself small goals, re-hydrated, rested, then did a little more. By the end of the day, I got more done than expected. (Hmmm... is there a metaphoric life lesson there?)

I plan to do the same today, but not just with yard work. I have so many things that have been neglected (bills, house work, social contact, etc.). I'm not going to get caught up in trying to do everything, but set myself some small goals, and at the end of the day, we'll see were I'm at.

Primary today is getting some social contact with my family and also a meeting; making sure me and my dog get outside to move around a bit; and review my bills from my last hospital stay so I'm prepared to handle those tomorrow. All this mixed in with eating right (well, honestly, there will be candy), drinking lots of water, and being thankful for the day.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think setting small goals is a good idea. I thought that when I was drinking that if I did get the itch to do something, which was not often, that I got more done.

It was like alcohol gave me a boost I do not have being sober BUT I realize now I actually get more done as I do a little everyday rather than one big drunken swoop. I do get tired faster but in the end get more done by setting small goals.

I too have been taking my dog out. I have taking her so much that now every time I leave she thinks she is going too. During the week is not bad, as she knows my go to work routine, but the weekends she watches me like a hawk to see if there is any hint we may be going somewhere...lol

Then there are days, mostly Sundays, that I just rest. I do some small indoor things like laundry but I still rest. It is my re-coop day to get ready for the week.

Originally Posted by meandmydog View Post
there will be candy.
CHOCOLATE. I need it at least once a day. A simple Hershey bar is good.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I think it is great that you went to see them. I think it is important to be upfront with your doctor so that they can help and are aware of what is going on with you. They need this info so that they can make proper medical decisions for you.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

Spinds like a plan. Great stuff
Old 06-10-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
oak

That is cool that the doctor was so helpful.

Great idea to focus on household tasks. It does feel so good to get those kinds of things done.