Notices

forgiveness

Old 06-07-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

forgiveness

I still have a hard time forgiving some people and myself included I keep remembering the wrongs they did to me and forget my part in harming them. For instance my dad and sister-in-law and mom as well. But im working on forgiving my therapist is having me do a visualization exercise on forgiving 5 minutes everyday. I cant wait to make my amends I am on step 8. I have harmed a lot of people with my drinking.

Things are looking up on the job front. I am applying for 5 internship positions through the AmeriCorps program that all start in September and I am volunteering at two places. Either I go to India to work for 3 months or I if I get an internship I would move to Denver for a year.

I discussed it with my sponsor and therapist and they both feel it would be good for me to go to India. I have my aunt who keeps a watch on me and I can attend AA meetings and Skype my sponsor. I also feel it is a good decision my gut tells me so. I think my higher power is putting these opportunities in my life.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Forgiveness can be tough, but carrying the weight of resentment and anger on your shoulders every day can be even worse. When we forgive, we help ourselves; although, sometimes it can seem as if we're relieving others of their guilt.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im just in an ornery mood today. I have to watch myself when I get like this I like to argue with people and prove that I am right.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anoronha View Post
Im just in an ornery mood today. I have to watch myself when I get like this I like to argue with people and prove that I am right.
Yes, me too. It's one of my character faults. I'm working on it, but it took me years to develop that fault, so it's going to take time to change. Still, I've found that it's ok to feel I'm right without expecting everyone else to agree with me. I've finally realized that all that time arguing is a big waste. Life's too short, and I have better things to do with my time.

Anyway, I hope tomorrow is better.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

ANo, I have a hard time forgiving other people also. I also lack compassion for other people and their problems. I feel like the world has screwed me so why should I care about things?
Old 06-07-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Once I perceive that someone has hurt me I just find it real hard to move on. I can understand where the other person may be coming from but I am a very sensitive person so it is hard for me to forgive.

@justfor1 I used to feel a lot that the world had screwed me over and god as well.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Forgiveness is to set the prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you. The person you do not forgive has no idea how you feel nor do they probably care. So basically you are letting them rent space in your head for free. Why?
Old 06-07-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
So basically you are letting them rent space in your head for free. Why?
Yes, good comment.

When we don't forgive (or at least, let it go), we let those who wronged us control us to a degree. The resentment and anger just festers and grows and causes all kinds of problems. When we let it go, we win. And in my experience, the person who wronged us often ends up paying for their wrongs in one way or another. Living a good, happy life is the best revenge.

Besides, I've done my share of hurting and wronging others (we all have), and I can only hope they've forgiven me.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As echoed in other posts, we don't forgive others for them, we forgive them for ourselves. When people hurt us, its actually about them. Hurting people, hurt people. I wish you peace with this...you don't have to forget, but you do have to let go. There's a saying that goes something like...resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.