Notices

My Underlying Issue Has Surfaced

Old 06-08-2013, 02:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I know for myself only that many of my drinking/drugging relapses started occuring long before I picked up and used....look you will be okay and I'm pulling for you...I attend AA but also use AVRT and I know when that addictive voice starts talking...just ramp up your recovery...and give your wife some damn roses OK ;-)
Old 06-09-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
Wow I had never heard of cyclothmia before. I just googled it and that seems to fit my symptoms well. I was diagnosed as "borderline bi-polar" by a former psychiatrist and I have lots of highs and lows, but none are extreme. Thanks for posting this. Sorry for the thread jack but this was a light bulb moment.
I think that borderline bipolar and ciclothymia may be very similar. A good doctor and medication can work wonders. At léast, that is my experience.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SomethingBetter View Post
I need to get this out, I have had this bottled up too long...

Ive been sober since Feb 20th 2011 but it isn't all so great in some areas.

When I was young I wasn't very 'cool', i wasn't popular in fact i didn't really fit in anywhere, people called me shy, until I discovered alcohol, then things fell in place, friends, career, girls, wife etc...

30 years later...

After nearly 2-1/2 years of no alcohol I am finding I am socially dysfunctional, I have over 600 posts here, most while I was drinking, very few since.

I am actually ok with how I am, exept feeling really down at times but I built a career that needs me to be social, I need to talk to 10 to 20 people a day and some days I just cant pull off the act, i cringe when my phone rings...

I am self employed so I just let things go, doing what I can, but things are getting worse. The money is running out and the wife is upset, and there is just no way to tell the customers whats really going on.

Heres the thing, even though I made all those promises here on this forum, to never drink again, I just cant help to think that a few drinks are needed to take the edge off, just let me relax, and maybe do some business calls over a few drinks, get the ball rolling again, I quit drinking in the prime of my business.

I don't even want to drink but I cant get it out of my head that sobriety is killing my career, I am too old to do anything else as good as what I do, I am really good at my job when I feel like doing it.

I didn't even want to post this, But I thought maybe someone has experienced it too.

It's 4:45 AM again, and my mind just races.

My best educated guess is hypomania or manic depression, but I just don't trust doctors. I know this will pass, but at times i want to give in so bad to what I know will work, this time I didn't.

if I started back drinking, I really dont think I could quit again.
Doesnt Prozac help with this kind of problem? I understand it makes people more social, perhaps it can help you while you figure out what other tactics to employ so you can carry on with your work.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am severely introverted and I get completely overwhelmed when I have jobs where I have to talk all day. I deliberately avoided jobs where this would be an issue.

I also have social anxiety, which is a separate issue.

I don't really have any advice given your career and business, but I personally could not function in a job where I had to "perform" constantly.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
ya ever look up introvert?
Yes, it is 'Me', two and a half years gone, and trapped again, Ive asked the people closest to me for advise when I should've taken you all's advise who have been where I am, where I am again.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
now's the time

(( hug ))

Nothing's gone, nothing's lost. You achieved that time and learned from it.

Are you sober again now or still drinking? The most important thing is to get your feet back under you.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey SB..I was reading through this thread and then saw it was a bit older..so I actually kinda raced to the end it see if you were still around. Oddly enough...I too was thinking "introvert"..and bam..there you are and Tomsteve had said it too! There is an excellent book called "Quiet"..about introverts. A good read.

Glad you are back. I'm interested in the answers to Fantail's questions also.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm not sober, I thought I'd never write this again, I promised, I am so ashamed, it started right after this thread, for the record it has not helped my situation, it's made things worse.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well it didn't help SB...so sober up and saddle up...again. It sounds like you were fighting to be something you really aren't. For me, sobriety is all about figuring out who I really am and learning to accept myself as is. Are you in sales?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yea, so I’ll try, but what’s that really mean? Wake up with a hangover and say I am done, that I will quit, just to find the night with a different mindset… That’s not meant to be about your request or response, but about the actual fight I know I am up against…

Thank you, really thank you!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
now's the time

You quit successfully once before... what did you do that time? Could you do it again?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're struggling SB.

For me the greatest tool I have in my recovery is accepting who I am.

That doesn't mean I think I'm awesome as I am or that I'm not open to improvement but I accept myself, warts and all.

that took a while, and some counselling.

I was an intovert who spent 20 years trying to be the party animal because getting wasted was the only way I could deal with social interaction without rocking back in forth in a corner hugging my knees.

I know my comfort zone now, I know my strengths and my weaknesses and I surround myself with people who know love and support the real me.

I'm no expert but it seems to me your answer might be somewhere in there SB...not the bottle.

D
Old 07-22-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Minx

The only thing that will ruin your career mate is if u DO drink, remember and accept we cannot drink like others, if your anything like me, u would just about have that deal closed, get on the **** and ruin it, probably end up sleeping with someone Unshouldn't have and make an absolute tit out of yourself .

Believe me the only way your career will blossom and grow is if u stay sober
Old 07-22-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support, I am trying to eat something now, it is amazing how fast this can grab hold of us after being away from it for so long, the thoughts of just one do come back to mind, foolish thoughts.

What’s more amazing is that people you don’t even know can relate to you more than people you have known all your life.

It’s good to be back, I will not drink tomorrow… (I want to say hope but will say will not)
Old 07-22-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Someone on here once told me that NLP (Neuro-Linguistic programming) is really good for social anxiety. You might be a natural introvert, or you may have some kind of social phobia, or it may be something else entirely. That in itself is less important than what you do about it though. Drinking is not a good solution for anything. If you do not trust doctors how about a counsellor? Or get yourself some good books on CBT or NLP.

On a more personal note, you sound just like my boss. He has a job that requires him to entertain clients and be social, but he is terrible at it and it makes him really anxious so he just shuts down and ignores it. We tend to pick up the pieces and look after people though. Do you have staff or anyone you can delegate these responsibilities too?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

There are good non addictive meds .

I took zoloft for a while , it worked until I could rewire my brain .

But when I'm off work ,I don't answer my phone most of the time
I place high value on my privacy , and peace of mind .

I am my favorite person , and enjoy my own company just fine.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Really glad you are standing up..and fighting again SB. I know that in the beginning...and probably still sometimes ..I can only deal with the "now". I can only commitment to being sober..right "now"..the now's just keep piling up : )
Old 07-22-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Today I want to thank everyone for your responses, a lot of wise words, there are so many things I want to say in response but you all have great points.

I will say “the now’s just keep piling up” hits the problem right on the head, the calls, emails and txt messages pill up. I am in home repair, everyone says it is a good problem to have, I just wish I could figure out the juggling technique that will work for me. I guess I will just have to re-think what I do or at least the way I do it, I use to have 2 guys helping, but employees are hard to deal with, I may have to re-think this area.

“I place high value on my privacy, and peace of mind. I am my favorite person, and enjoy my own company just fine.”~ Karate, priceless, I will remember this

Will definitely look into Nero-Linguistic programming

Love Dee’s post and all yours, I will end up writing a book if I don’t close this up.

I do want to just jot down the month of progression, just a couple in the beginning, it did ease my mind and relax me, (next time try warm milk) days go by I am not even realizing what is happening, the last week, right back to the highest amount ever, all in just one month, I am glad I came here last night, I basically shut out this site thinking I would never be back and that I could handle drinking, right when you think you got it figured out, your wrong.

Thank you all!