Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Well, I done slipped and now it's back to square one.

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I ended up going on a 4 week bender. So not proud of myself, so I decided to stop, once again. What I'm worried about is this "kindling" thing for the withdrawals, Does anyone have experience with this? Doc gave me 90 klonopin and 30 ativan for the withdrawal, so I can do it at home but I'm still a little worried that I still may need inpatient treatment. (Taking the meds as prescribed also and all the detox beds are full unfortunately)
Old 06-06-2013, 03:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Will the benzo's DR's prescribe..

Completely avoid seizure, convulsions, DT's ect. ? Just wondering
Old 06-06-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dthalez View Post
I ended up going on a 4 week bender. So not proud of myself, so I decided to stop, once again. What I'm worried about is this "kindling" thing for the withdrawals, Does anyone have experience with this? Doc gave me 90 klonopin and 30 ativan for the withdrawal, so I can do it at home but I'm still a little worried that I still may need inpatient treatment. (Taking the meds as prescribed also and all the detox beds are full unfortunately)
Does your doc know about about your addiction? That's a crazy amount of benzos!
Old 06-06-2013, 03:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcoholics I was in detox with had seizures and DTs despite being on Valium.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes he does, he has been dealing with me for years, but he also knows that the main reason
i drink is due to anxiety, so he put me on a cocktail to keep anxiety at bay..
Old 06-06-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea, I would like to go into medical detox but the beds are full. The only choice I have is to detox at home with these benzis and hope for the best.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I merged your two threads into one to save confusion.

I'd recommend you see your Dr if you're worried and have any questions about your withdrawal...or get a second opinion if you're concerned about the medication.

D
Old 06-06-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Those are excellent meds the doc prescribed you. They will help & should lessen your withdrawal symptoms.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yea, well I'm prescribed 2 0.5 mg of klonopin at night and 1 0.5mg in the morning, and to take 2mg ativan as needed. He knows theres no detox beds left, so he gave me in the best of his ability the meds to avoid withdrawal symptoms and DT's. Just doing this kind of alone is a tad bit scary Just a little on my background, I'm 23 female, and I have been drinking pretty heavy for about 6 years. Back in January was when I started to drink for morning to night because I literally needed it due to the withdrawal symptoms. I'm ready to end the cycle of quitting and relapsing again. I just hope I don't go through hell this time around, because of the "kindling" thing, this would be the 4th time I have detoxed since March. I kind of suck at staying sober.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I have detoxed dozens of times. I just got out of the hospital a few weeks ago. It was not my worst detox ever because I was not drinking the insane amounts that I use to. A doc once told me that if you start drinking a pint of hard booze or a 12 pack a day then you are at great risk for withdrawal. Especially, if you had previously rough detoxes.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Careful with those pills! I was in bad shape. Just 6-8 hours after my last drink the DTs would start and then seizures. I finally had a seizure in my car with a buddy riding shotgun. Thank the Lord I had it in park because when I had the seizure my foot slammed down on the gas pedal and stayed there til the seizure stopped (so I was told). Anyway, I was finally taken to the hospital and was given Ativan. Like your situation, the beds were full. Problem was I started drinking again after two days. I woke up in the IC unit. I had been there a few days. My chest hurt from being resuscitated, I had a tube down my throat, a catheter and IVs. I died in my friends basement. I think it was a week after I was given the Ativan. Even after a week of sobriety in the treatment center I still had yet another seizure. All do to the withdraws from alcohol. I was told alcohol withdraws are the most deadly, more so than any drug. It scares me when I hear about alcoholics quitting on their own just because of the risk of the harmful withdraws. I should not be here today but the Lord gave me another shot a life for what reason I have yet to find.

Sorry, I am just trying to say be careful and don't slip while taking those pills. And see if you can get on a waiting list for treatment or detox.

I also hate to say this but if withdraw gets really bad ditch the pills and hit the bottle. These withdraws will kill you!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by dthalez View Post
Yea, well I'm prescribed 2 0.5 mg of klonopin at night and 1 0.5mg in the morning, and to take 2mg ativan as needed
That's a high dose of Klonopin. Do you also suffer panic attacks?

It sounds like you could use some reassurance from either your prescribing physician or from a psychiatrist who specializes in addictions.

Discontinuing those meds abruptly can also precipitate seizure.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Just a reminder to everyone:
Rule 10: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice........ Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Hi dthalez -
Since the detox beds are full, have you considered going to the ER? The problem with detox is that it can be unpredictable, so unfortunately, none of us can really know what your experience will be.
We're here for support, though, so keep us updated.