Notices

Got a question

Old 06-05-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got a question

I'm one day sober. I don't say that for kudos, but rather as an introduction for my question.

Ok.

I've always heard that in addition to dehydration that hangovers are withdrawals from alcohol. I've also heard that the severity of withdrawals can kindle; that is each successive cessation of drinking will have more serious withdrawal symptoms. When I consider this, I can't help but wondering why hangovers don't get worse each time you have one. That's my question, but not in the form of a question.

TIA
Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is an interesting question. My understanding is that the symptoms that we refer to as a "hangover" are in fact largely alcohol withdrawal. However, the stages and manifestations of the withdrawal change the further you are from your last drink. That is, while you may have a headache and feel nauseous 8 hours after your last drink, you may experience seizures or other symptoms 24-48 hours after the last drink. If you drink nightly you may never reach the full stages of withdrawal. So, my thoughts on your question are that "cessation" of drinking with respect to the kindling effect means a longer term absence of alcohol from your body then the typical morning to after work period of not drinking.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

This from "Under the Influence" a read I recommend:

"The hangover can be excruciating for the non-alcoholic, but it becomes much worse for the alcoholic in the later stages of the disease. As one expert put it, "[Hangovers]... are so extreme for the alcoholic that they really should have a different name. No normal drinker would recognize them as what he has."

The source of the physical and mental pain of the alcoholic hangover is, to repeat, the state of hyperactivity in the central nervous system caused by the withdrawal of alcohol. The cells, which are accustomed to the presence of alcohol and dependent on it for energy, stimulation, and sedation, become agitated when it is suddenly not available. The cells' distress is experienced by the alcoholic as the headache, eyeache, dizziness, nausea, and anguish characteristic of the hangover, ("anguish" is an older term than "anxiety" and refers to both mental and physical pain or suffering -- "anxiety" refers only to psychological conflict or tension).

Alcoholics feel physically wretched during a hangover, but they also feel deeply and profoundly ashamed. From past experience, they know better, but they got drunk anyway -- why? Ignorant of the powerful workings of the addiction, the alcoholic can only blame himself. Remorse, self-loathing, and guilt therefore go hand in hand with the throbbing headache and queasy stomach ... "... the emotional pain which accompanies them -- the guilt, anxiety, self-accusation, the sense of hopelessness and despair ..." ... a very real and very painful physiological disorder.

The increasing misery of the alcoholic hangover is directly caused by the drinker's physical dependence on alcohol. As this goes by and the alcoholic drinks more, and more often, the withdrawal symptoms -- experienced in those minutes, hours, or days without a drink -- become more severe. He begins to feel shame and remorse when he repeatedly fails in his efforts to stop drinking or control his intake. He cannot make good his intentions to drink as everyone else does, and this personal failure causes great guilt and despair. The alcoholic believes that he should be able to control himself by a sheer force of will. He does not know that the physical addiction is in command of his every thought and action and subverts his persistent efforts to control it."