Notices

day drinkin baseball

Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
OX

day drinkin baseball

went to a baseball game today and wasn't even tempted to drink. I used to watch a lot of baseball but only as a reason to drink during the day.

I was that sober guy today noticing all my old personalities. Saw a couple sneak whiskey into their pepsi, and lots of over drinking. Once they cut off alcohol tons of people left to the bars. People were loud, ugly and dumb. And I wasn't spending $9 a beer!

my buddy smoked lots of dope, got as drunk as his funds would allow, and was a pain in the ass. I just wanted to sit in the sun and watch a game. I'm not even a big fan but was such a nice day to relax.

Just happy with myself. don't mean to gloat. just felt good being sober. i remember getting home!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Weird to see it from the other side, right? Good job!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Big baseball fan here and can totally relate. Congrats! It is nice when we can once again enjoy something like a game for all the right reasons.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post. Have you been to Safeco Field? I've also found that I enjoy baseball much more sober. If you ever get a chance take a trip down to San Francisco and catch the Giants at AT&T park. It's a great stadium. It's nice to see the Giants win the world series twice in three years after following them faithfully for forty-nine years!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttobepure View Post
Great post. Have you been to Safeco Field? I've also found that I enjoy baseball much more sober. If you ever get a chance take a trip down to San Francisco and catch the Giants at AT&T park. It's a great stadium. It's nice to see the Giants win the world series twice in three years after following them faithfully for forty-nine years!
As a Cardinals fan, I can't say it was nice to see the Giants win the last 2 out of 3. However, I do respect and like your team. Seems like good people on the roster. Also agree that their stadium would be one of the best to see. Not many fans can fill the stadiums like Giant's and Cardinals : )
Old 06-06-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

one of the first things I noticed at my 1st tigers game sober was that not all people at baseball games drink. theres many that actually go to enjoy the game.
had the same thing happen at my 1st concert, 1st lions game, and 1st red wings game.
it was all in what I was lookin for. if I looked for drunks, id find em.

pretty awesome to go to a game or concert sober, have a great time, not have to be concerned with afterwards, and enjoy em.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Were you at that crazy game between the Sox & M's? I can't imagine you stayed till the end - did you hear about that late inning drama in the 14th? One for the history books, that game will have a lot of stats appearing in the Elias Sports Bureau that's for sure.

I used to drink at Wrigley Field a lot during games. The stadium's a classic, but it's a dump - the men's rooms are terrible and having to use them every 5 minutes is a real pain. The beers are $9 bucks, they're warm, and watching all the fans bumble, stumble and fight all game long is tiresome. I actually went to a game earlier this season on the South Side at White Sox park, sober, for the first time. Totally enjoyed myself, my buddy and I sat up in the cheap seats and had a good time.

Thanks for sharing your sober memory of the ball game, it clearly brought to mind my own memories also. Much appreciated.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Were you at that crazy game between the Sox & M's? I can't imagine you stayed till the end - did you hear about that late inning drama in the 14th? One for the history books, that game will have a lot of stats appearing in the Elias Sports Bureau that's for sure.
Did you see the guy who ran over the kid to get the home run ball? I wonder how many beers he had.

Video | MLB.com Multimedia
Old 06-06-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BigShoe View Post
I used to watch a lot of baseball but only as a reason to drink during the day.

Yup I remember only going out to do something if there was alcohol available.
Go to a concert? Sure I can drink there.
Go bowling? Sure I can drink and bowl.
Golfing? Legally drink and drive, why not.
Movies? Well, I guess we could stop at the liquor store and sneak a bottle in.

No matter what I did there had to be a way to combine it with drinking or it didnt happen.

It is nice to now be able to just plain enjoy something for what it is and not need a chemical to be happy doing it. And like you said, not spending $9 a beer is nice to. And its weird, now that I'm sober I cant stand drunken idiots I can only imagine what people thought of me.

I am happy for you and go ahead and gloat all you want.