Notices

Dr Jekyll...

Old 06-04-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dr Jekyll...

Has anybody read "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" by Robert Louis Stevenson?

I once took a literary analysis class. During the course we were expected to read the Stevenson story and write a critical analysis paper how Mr. Jekyll reflected an alcoholic, trying to keep Mr. Hyde at bay (at one point he even mentions being able to control him for 90 days, does that sound familiar to anyone? 90 days!). As an alcoholic myself, I completely fell apart trying to finish the assignment. At one point, tears were shed.

"It took, on this occasion, a double dose to recall me to myself, and only under the immediate stimulation of the drug that I was able to wear the countenance of Jekyll. At all hours of the day and night, I would be taken with the premonitory shudder; above all, If I slept, or even dozed for a moment in my chair, it was always as Hyde that I awakened. Under the strain of this continually doom and by the sleeplessness to which I now condemned myself, even beyond what I had thought possible to man. I became, in my own person, a creature eaten up and emptied by fever, languidly weak both in body and mind, and solely occupied by one thought; the horror of my other self."
Old 06-04-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's interesting to re-read it now, that's for sure.

D
Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Yes, it was one of the first books I reread when I found sobriety.

It is believed by many, myself included, that Robert Louis Stevenson was writing about is own affliction of alcoholism.

It definitely shows the progression of the dis-ease.

Love and hugs,