Notices

Would you consider this a slip?

Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Would you consider this a slip?

I found it kind of amusing as I feel I've heard just about everything... but I never heard this. And I'm pretty sure it's coming from an honest place.

Someone I know was prescribed Ambian (sp?) due to some major medical issues he had going on. One night recently he slept walked on it, and polished off about a 1/4 of a bottle of wine that his wife had left on the table. Had no recollection of it, but was certain he did it upon awakening.

The guy has otherwise been alcohol free for over a decade. I find it kind of humorous, although it's a bit scary at the same time.

I don't think this guy cares one way or the other if it's considered a slip as he's not drinking any more after it, but I'm curious what others think. Would you consider that a slip and start counting all over again?
Old 06-03-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't see the humor myself.
What exactly do you find humourous Joe?

D
Old 06-03-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't see the humor myself.
What exactly do you find humourous Joe?

D
Can't really say for sure... might just have to do with the person it came from. I really don't think it's going to cause him to drink again. If I'm wrong about that, then there is absolutely nothing funny about it.

I think the humor might come from my thinking that would be an awesome excuse for someone who wanted to BS a reason that they drank. Which I'm fairly certain isn't the case here. "Honey, I had no idea... I was sleep walking." Just think that's a bit funny.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've read a lot of ambien horror stories here, and elsewhere.
They're all pretty similar.

I have no reason to suspect any of those people were BSing or making excuses.
D
Old 06-03-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Never used Ambien. Probably will never use it but if I heard someone say they walked in their sleep after taking it, I might think it a little far fetched because it seems like a very mild sleep aid. However, when an alcoholic says, "I took Ambien, walked in my sleep and drank a half bottle of wine and can't remember doing it" my BS meter hits on about 10 and I think if it looks like a skunk and smells like a skunk it's probably a skunk. Something stinks!!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Looks like this is the wrong thread for me then.

Have a good day fellas.

D
Old 06-03-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LDT

I found nothing "mild" about Ambien. In fact, for me, it was very scary.

My mother had been prescribed Ambien and gave me one of hers one night during a hurricane evacuation. I had had several nights in a row of no sleep , so I accepted it. It was an instant back out. I have no recollection of anything that happened 20 minutes after I took it ( and I was not drinking). I had to be carried to bed, and the next day I had major anxiety. I later learned that my mother had several nights of blackout eating on Ambien ( she never told me this before I took it)......leaving trails of food all over her normally spotless home. She also broke crystal, leaving large jagged pieces on the floor....all in a blackout state. I've heard of people driving after Ambien and not remembering it. So it's definitely conceivable someone could sleep walk and drink and not remember it.

Nothing funny about that.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree, not funny. I'm sure for it to be considered a slip the person has to intentionally drink or use.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Never used Ambien. Probably will never use it but if I heard someone say they walked in their sleep after taking it, I might think it a little far fetched because it seems like a very mild sleep aid. However, when an alcoholic says, "I took Ambien, walked in my sleep and drank a half bottle of wine and can't remember doing it" my BS meter hits on about 10 and I think if it looks like a skunk and smells like a skunk it's probably a skunk. Something stinks!!
Ambien is not a "mild" sleep aid, it's a hypnotic, and it is not a medication anyone should take lightly. Sleep walking and sleep eating are common with Ambien. These side effects are well documented. Ambien Linked to 'Sleep Eating'

I was prescribed Ambien and had some issues while using it. I stopped. One morning I came down to my kitchen to find a number of empty food wrappers and containers, I had no idea how it happened, but I knew it was me who ate the food. I was not drinking when I took the medication.

Joe, I do believe your friend. I don't consider it a slip, but he may want to talk with his doctor. Personally, I believe Ambien is over-prescribed, and there are other sleep aid options.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Our local radio station talked about Ambien every few months and people would call in and talk about the things they did while on it but didn't remember. I had a friend who took it and would make giant meals while sleepwalking and would wake up with cake pans or bowls in bed. One time she left the stove on. So dangerous.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I would believe your friend Joe, and I would not consider it a slip.

Ambien is a very LETHAL medication and there have even been reports of people 'sleep driving' on it.

It is a very very scary medication.

So nope that was not a slip in my book!

Every time I hear of that medication I just start to shudder!

Love and hugs,
Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I took ambian once, and it did me in completely. It was while I was touring with a band, and I almost missed a show. Alarm and phone didn't wake me up, and guys had to pound on my hotel door. I think like anything else, it affects different people differently.

And guys, FWIW, I said I found it kind of humorous, but scary. I didn't roll on the floor laughing. And if it happened to me, I wouldn't have considered it funny. Would have freaked me out.

In early sobriety I used to fantasize about things like someone walking into an AA meeting with a gun and a case of scotch, and forcing everybody to drink. I'd have welcomed it. Or being stranded on a desert for days, and getting rescued by a Budweiser truck. Ambien thing fits in with those kind of thoughts for me. Perhaps I have a twisted imagination and sense of humor...
Old 06-03-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
Perhaps I have a twisted imagination and sense of humor...
Don't feel bad. Whatever you may have found funny in the sleep drinking incident, it's pretty clear that you do not find addiction funny, or the prospect of your friend returning to drinking humorous.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The "slip" here would be using the mind altering substance Ambien in the first place as a recovering alcoholic.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

sounds like ambien is indeed very dangerous 4 a recovering alcoholic
Old 06-03-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
LDT

For the record....Ambien is prescribed a LOT, for both non and recovering alcoholics.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can't believe the drug is still in the market. I will never take it again.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ambien is a heavy sleep agent.I was prescribed it when I worked midnights.I quickly found it was not good for me and had doctor take it from me.I drank with it and abused the pills.I had a couple times on it that we're not good.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know what you mean by "funny", Joe - sometimes it's hard to make your tone come across but I get it. Like, Tiger Woods used Ambien and drove his car into a tree....I mean, it's "funny", but not "FUNNY". Right?

Anyway, the BS-o-Meter comment was my original knee jerk reaction as well. However, after thinking about it and after hearing all of the horror stories I'd lean towards believing the guys. My friend took Ambien once and went to bed in his California home, and he woke up in jail with no recollection of what had happened...his mugshot is "funny" because he looks so zonked out - we laugh at it - but it's not "FUNNY" really, because it's kinda creepy and scary.

Anyway, I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Interesting topic, I will definitely stay away from that junk. The REAL QUESTION here, maybe, is why he took it in the first place? Anyone with 10 years sobriety and involved in the sober community should know darn well that this is tricky stuff...wonder if he was "testing the waters" with something that was prescribed, legal, etc. Meh.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
I would believe your friend Joe, and I would not consider it a slip.

Ambien is a very LETHAL medication and there have even been reports of people 'sleep driving' on it.

It is a very very scary medication.

So nope that was not a slip in my book!

Every time I hear of that medication I just start to shudder!

Love and hugs,
Sleep Driving! omg that is so scary. I had a friend growing up that sleepwalked outside a half a mile in a foot of snow in the middle of the night with only socks on. She rang the doorbell of the neighbors house and they called her parents and said they had her at their house.