Notices

Would you consider this a slip?

Old 06-03-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Grateful

This is a side effect of Ambien and would usually occur within a few days of starting on the drug. It can also cause anterograde amnesia (short-term memory loss). My understanding is that this class of drug (which includes Lunesta and Sonata) was developed as a "safer" drug for insomnia than the benzos that were commonly used before.

I have had it prescribed to me in the past, and while I never experienced sleep walking I did abuse it while I was drinking (took it and then stayed up drinking). My pdoc took me off of them when I got sober. The only withdrawal symptom I had was rebound insomnia for about a week.

It doesn't sound like he intended to drink...I know if I intended to drink I would have had more than 1/4 bottle of wine.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post

It doesn't sound like he intended to drink...I know if I intended to drink I would have had more than 1/4 bottle of wine.
Same here.

The ambien was prescribed. The guy has some serious medical issues going on right now.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"Funny" in the sense of "What else can this crazy universe throw at us?"
Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have never taken ambien or any other sleep aid but I have walked in my sleep. I believe it happens when I am under a lot of stress.

My mom lives with me and she says it looks like I am awake.

One time I moved things around on the bathroom counter. Another time I got out the vacuum cleaner. Years ago I woke up in the backseat of my car. I was in my pajamas and the back door was wide open and my feet were hanging out.

I do not remember doing any of these things, not even like I was in a dream, nothing. I know I have done them as my mother said I did. She says other times I did nothing but walk around the house and then went back to bed.

If this person was truly sleep walking, and I have no reason to doubt they were, they may have gotten up and dumped that bottle of wine down the sink.

Edit: I do take OTC Unisom now, maybe three or four times a week, but I have not been walking in my sleep.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

Humourous? Hell, I find that scary...the idea of doing stuff and having no consciousness or ability to prevent something from happening.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Humourous? Hell, I find that scary...the idea of doing stuff and having no consciousness or ability to prevent something from happening.

my mother was prescribed ambien recently to help her sleep.
she doent remember the night, but it was the scariest night of my life.

a terrible psychotic episode and if I wasn't there, theres no telling what she would have done.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was first prescribed the original formula of ambien and it worked well, my doctor told me to break the pills in Half if i felt too groggy the next day.
I think they came out with a different formulation (extended)) release). I did not like it.this is the Version that makes problems.
I once took it, got up, put together a casserole, turned on the oven and slept four hours...woke up to burned food....i was aware of what i did but it seemed perfectly logical.
It is not bs that some people sleepwalk or drive, or in my case "sleepcook".
When you have terrible insomnia(one of the reasons i drank), it is hard to function...i used to get maybe 3-4 hours tops every night. Now i get better quality of sleep sober, but use melatonin, valarian and my allergy meds if i Need it, mostly 6-6.5 hours.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

In reference to post #5 in this thread, I have to apologize for my ignorance and the comment I made about Ambien. I've since learned from a friend who's worked in the medical field for some time that instances of sleep walking, eatting, driving, talking..etc., can and do happen on this drug. So, I hereby stand corrected. Once again I've opened mouth and inserted foot.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
I found it kind of amusing as I feel I've heard just about everything... but I never heard this. And I'm pretty sure it's coming from an honest place.

Someone I know was prescribed Ambian (sp?) due to some major medical issues he had going on. One night recently he slept walked on it, and polished off about a 1/4 of a bottle of wine that his wife had left on the table. Had no recollection of it, but was certain he did it upon awakening.

The guy has otherwise been alcohol free for over a decade. I find it kind of humorous, although it's a bit scary at the same time.

I don't think this guy cares one way or the other if it's considered a slip as he's not drinking any more after it, but I'm curious what others think. Would you consider that a slip and start counting all over again?
It sounds like whether the guy considers it a slip or not is the least of his problems.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

No, it's not a slip. He did not realize what he was doing. What is his wife doing leaving a bottle of wine on the table anyways? Clearly, this ambien is a very dangerous drug.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I wouldn't consider it a slip. And if he's AA I wouldn't think he needed a white chip and to start the steps over from square one.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I was prescribed ambien about 2 years ago and have been taking it every night since.

It's one of those medications that you need to be ready to get to sleep and be in bed. I've had conversations with my husband that i don't really remember. It almost works like a truth serum. But it really does help me get sleep.

I've heard all the stories of sleep driving and eating and a good majority of those folks mixed alcohol with ambien. It's dangerous to mix the 2.

I would rather not have to use anything for sleep but i would rather use it than valium or something like that.

Just my experience with it.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post

my mother was prescribed ambien recently to help her sleep.
she doent remember the night, but it was the scariest night of my life.

a terrible psychotic episode and if I wasn't there, theres no telling what she would have done.
I was actually gonna' mention that it sounds like psychosis...I've experienced psychosis (not due to Ambien though) and kept 'coming round' during in it like I was on the operating table. The pain and horror was ineffable and I couldn't do anything to stop it, or myself.

...Ambien sounds brutal.