Notices

What should I tell people??

Old 06-03-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Retep View Post

What should I tell people when they ask why I'm not drinking? Should I tell people the truth?
I usually answer with -- I'm not drinking today

which is the truth
Old 06-03-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Nice to see there is so many people here to give advice. I think that for me I think I would get questioned if I stop drinking. There have been good suggestions, I think that maybe the drinking culture in Scotland is a bit different. Virtually everyone drinks, saying you just don't drink is fine with new people. But it's old friends and family that I think would question me.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I look forward to people asking me. I look them in the eye and tell them, proudly and with deep satisfaction, that I don't drink anymore. It is at times like these that I realise my nightmare is at an end.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Why not just say it sends you loopy and so you prefer not to drink? It really is no-one else's business so don't make a big deal out of it. If you don't, they will be less inclined to.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Since I got sober (4+ years ago), I have only been asked once (after saying I don't drink), "Why not?". I am POSITIVE no one asks wanting to know the ins and outs of our alcoholism. I just responded with "I used to, too much.. now I don't".
Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What do you tell people? You've got options. Many of these I used.

Subterfuge:
"I'm driving."
"I've got 'On Call' responsibilities at work."
"I don't feel well."
"I'm on a diet."
"I'm taking a medication that that I can't mix with booze."
I'm training for a (insert marathon, 5K, iron man, the olympics, whatever)

Almost-Truth
"I've been partying too hard and I'm letting my liver vacation for a while."
"I think I have a drinking problem and I'm on the wagon until I figure it out."

The Truth:
"I have a drinking problem and cannot drink any more."

Graphic Truth:
"I am an alcoholic. When I drink, I drink too much and cannot control it. At times I have been so drunk I was unable to protect myself. I have come to the realization that if I continue to drink I will die. To save my life, I have chosen to never drink again. Please help me."

Early in my sobriety, I used subterfuge in many social and family situations. After a while, nobody asked me why I wasn't drinking. I learned that it didn't matter to other people as much as I imagined it would.

Bottom line is say whatever necessary to get you through sober. Nothing else matters.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
LDT

.....Or ....if you are in a "mood" ( like I sometimes get....okay, more than sometimes, admittedly ), when and if someone asks "why" you DON'T drink, you could say, " why DO" you? .

But seriously, flutter is right...not many people want to know every sordid detail about our alcoholism.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Graphic Truth:
"I am an alcoholic. When I drink, I drink too much and cannot control it. At times I have been so drunk I was unable to protect myself. I have come to the realization that if I continue to drink I will die. To save my life, I have chosen to never drink again. Please help me."

Early in my sobriety, I used subterfuge in many social and family situations. After a while, nobody asked me why I wasn't drinking. I learned that it didn't matter to other people as much as I imagined it would.

Bottom line is say whatever necessary to get you through sober. Nothing else matters.
I think your Graphic Truth is quite appropriate. Especially the last part. It seems our society is unfortunately not well setup for defeating alcoholism

And, as many people have indicated, most people seem not to care much about the concern and/or depression that I have. My friend just told me I'm a binge drinker, but that is enough for me to see myself as an alcoholic, and I don't understand nor comprehend how to tackle that problem other than stop it altogether & face it headon.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Or you could just say "I'm a raging alcoholic who is prone to wild mood swings and unpredictable criminal tendencies when under the influence". That also gets people off your back pretty quick
The smartass side of my really likes this reply. I think I'll use it if anyone ever presses me on why I'm not drinking. For now, just saying "I don't feel like drinking today" has worked very well. In my experience, most people accept it without question.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

One thing I have noticed is only alcoholics ask or care if your not drinking.
No one else will even notice.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I love this thread

I don't want to talk about it much with people. I JUST quit anyways! Maybe if I can say I went 40 days or something, it will be remarkable. But I don't know if I'm going to pour out my heart to anybody except a few. Talking could be uncomfortable in an unnecessary way.