Notices

Admitting to others your an alcoholic

Old 06-05-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Like being anything that may raise an eyebrow depending on where you are at the time I pick very carefully whom I disclose my addiction to. No one at work knows, some of my former work mates know, some family do but not the one's who would judge harshly. In making amends I've had responses that ranged from amusement, to bemusement to embarrassment. Probably the most honest and supportive responses I've got have been from other veterans and Army mates. Yes our sobriety depends on rigorous honesty but there is a "need to know" imperative around disclosing something like an addiction. Will it hurt you? will it hurt others? do they need to know? should they know?
I remember when I was in uniform I got a lot of knock-backs from girls because I was in the army. In the end I resented my service because of it and started to deny it just to fit in. I regretted that later on, if people are not going to accept me for who I am then they can take a hike. If someone asks if I'm an alcoholic, I'll tell them yes, I'm in recovery, I won't lie but I won't shout it from the roof tops either. If they judge me harshly for my condition, that's their problem, not mine, spot you later.