Notices

enjoying small amounts of alcohol

Old 06-01-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

enjoying small amounts of alcohol

Hi all
first of all please exuce me, for my bad writing, because i am drunk right now.

I am huge binge drinking, and i find i have huge problem. I really cant stop drinking when once stared.

I hear that some people can enjoj small amounts of alcohol, just litlle buzz.
Is it even possible, do you have some advices for bigne drinker like me?

Again, please exuce me for being really rude and postong new topic when drunk, but i would really like to enjoj alcoohl at small amounts without getting addiceticed.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Napoleon

it wasn't possible for me to enjoy small amounts of alcohol.
Small amounts always led to big amounts.

D
Old 06-01-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Welcome as well. Don't worry about posting in your current state. Have you always had trouble moderating? I know I did. I could for a while, but ultimately things would inevitably get out of control. For some people it is possible. I've come to the conclusion that for me it isn't and that some people for what ever reason should just not drink. Let us know more if you like, this stuff cunning, baffling and mysterious in a lot of ways. I just focus on the stuff I know. Simple cause and effect. I drink things get bad. Therefore I will not not drink. Anyway, enough rambling and welcome again. You are far from rude, you being here helps us and hopefully we can help you as well.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How long have you been drinking? I would not be able to do that. For me it was go big or go home. And I went big for breakfast lunch and dinner. We are not like other people. We are addicts. We are unable to enjoy in moderation.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Some people can moderate their drinking. But there are lots of folks that can't drink in moderation. I'm one of them.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry Napoleon, you appear to be just like the majority of us here. Chances are you are going to have to completely abstain from Alcohol if you want to be healthy. When I finally decided that Alcohol and me just didn't mix it got easier.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Napoleon. I'm glad you joined us seeking support. Some people never realize what alcohol is doing to their lives - & never reach out for help.

I was still drinking when I first joined SR. I wasn't sure I could give it up, but by being here I found the courage I needed to change my life. I had reached the point where every time I tried to have just one or two drinks, it was always 10 - and I always ended up drunk and out of control. So for me, just having small amounts never worked. I made the decision to stop all together. It was the only safe thing to do. I hope you'll find it helpful to be here with us.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

I tried for many years to find that perfect amount of alcohol, right between completely sober and drunk, but even when I did hit that spot it never lasted more than a minute or two then I spent the rest of the evening chasing the feeling, without success. It took me a long time to accept the fact that I am not like some other people who can easily find that place and stay in it. Once I pick up a drink my mind tells me more is better and I follow through with that line of thinking. I was, more times than I can count, the only one left drinking when the party ended, the bar closed, my friends passed out or went home. When I was not drinking I was planning my next "party" or drink. I don't know why but I just happen to be one of those people whom one drink is too many. The bottom line is I can not drink, there is no way for me to moderate my alcohol intake.

If any of that sounds familiar then you are in the right place. I encourage you to stick around and read some posts, ask some questions, participate in discussions. I also encourage you to find a program of recovery of which there are many. There is a link to a pretty good list of recovery programs: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I wish you the best and do hope you find the answers you are seeking.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I never enjoyed a small amount... it always made me want more and more.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Myself,I drank for one reason,and one reason only. To get drunk.
Yea...some people can "enjoy" small amounts. But most of us here don't fit that description.
Believe it or not,after I finally got the monkey off of my back. The way I feel about it right now,I wouldn't enjoy it in any amount. 5 years ago I wouldn't believe I would ever say anything like that but it's true.
But it's pretty much a fact. Once out of control there is no getting it back. There are many like me,who from the start drank only to get drunk. Some start out slow ans slowly get hooked.
There are many many ways booze can ruin our lives but we alcoholics share one common trait. Whether its once a year or every day,once we start it's hard to say how much we might drink.
I drank a 12 pack every day. But there were many many days I didn't stop at 12,especially when I was younger.
You must be posting here because you feel you need to do something. I knew i needed to do something for a long long time,but waited until I was almost 50 before I finally quit. I have no idea how old you are,but i hope you don't put it off as long as I did.
I wish you the best......
Fred
Old 06-01-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i would really like to enjoj alcoohl at small amounts without getting addiceticed.

napoleonbonapar,

look: you already answered your own question:

I really cant stop drinking when once stared.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is the great fantasy of every alcoholic out there! Welcome to the club!

I hope you sober up. Post often.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi all!
Thank you all for great information and experiences. It is great to know that you are not alone.
Last night i made big mistake. After 10 shots of vodka i drank 4 coffees. My breathing was very shallow. I was fighting for air. My mind was very blurred. I hope that i learned something from this.

I am still very young drinker. My drinking experience is relatively short. Reason i joined this forum is to prevent addiction.
I have alcoholics in my family and my alcohol tolerance is so high. I must concider danger of becoming an alcoholic.

I drink to get drunk only when i am in great depression ( im in depression all winter ). When i feel fine, i usually drink to get that euphoric/stimulant feeling from ethanol. When i drink in moderation, i feel great next day.

I am sure that you have much more experience in alcohol addiction, so my question would be: Is there any possible way to prevent alcoholism, without abstinence?
When my tolerance is high, i have much more craving for drinking. So, is keeping low tolerance key to prevent addiction?
Other ways to prevent alcoholism would be: do not drink every day! pause 1-2 weeks after 2 months, do not drink more then 3 times a week etc.
Also i am concerned about binge drinking. 1-2 times per week i love to drink more then 6-7 drinks. I read that binge drinking can lead to alcoholism and no control.

Once again thanks everyone
Old 06-02-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

for alcoholics such as myself

Originally Posted by napoleonbonapar View Post

I hear that some people can enjoj small amounts of alcohol, just litlle buzz.
Is it even possible, do you have some advices for bigne drinker like me?
yes my wife drinks normally
but
when drinking I sure don't drink like a gentleman
and
there's no stopping once I get started

I'm what I would call an alcoholic

for alcoholics such as myself
no booze at all is what works best
Old 06-02-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

NB,
just reading your questions re how you can possibly keep from becoming an alcoholic while keeping drinking in your life ...i'm struck by what comes across as a familiar desperation.
familiar to me because i lived there for many years.
the place of trying to control it all so that i wouldn't need to live without it.
never allowing myself to really look at what the drive to keep drinking in my life was telling me.
that the fact that i'd go through any contortions re rules about drinking (when, where, how much, how often) was the brick-wall i somehow refused to look at.

maybe you feel none of those things and aren't desperate to keep booze in your life...just that your post sure sounds like it.

did you see, again, that you said you can't stop once you start?
what might that say to you about rules/moderating/limiting?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi napoleon,

I went from being an enthusiastic drinker, to an everyday problem drinker, to full blown dangerous binge drinker. Everytime I stop I'd have terrible withdrawal, the worst for me is the impending sense of doom, and not being able to sleep as it feel's like you are forgetting to breathe.

Despite this i would sober up and think ok that was bad, never again, then i'd get depressed and logic goes out the window.
Everytime I cave and drink the binge gets worse.
I've no doubt that the next could most definitely be the last.

So I guess in answer to your question, I believe it is not the most dangerous alcoholic who drinks everyday, it's the binge drinker who goes to extremes.
It wasn't liver failure that killed a lot of famous drunks it was the amount they had in their system... it depresses the breathing to the point you just stop (that's if you haven't choked on your own vomit!)
Old 06-02-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Napoleon, you have actually articulated the fantasy of pretty much every drinker pretty well- I know this fantasy intimately. We all desperately want to be able to drink like normal, or just weekends, or just 4 at dinner, or no hard liquor after 7PM and it goes on and on lol. Unfortunately an alcoholic can't do this. I wish I had admitted this years ago and most people who struggle with drinking seem to feel the same way.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome napoleonbonapar! I hope you find the support you need here.

I remember desperately trying to figure out how I could keep drinking (and I still have some of those thoughts).

When I was young, I was a binge drinker and I quit drinking for many years back then because I could see the potential for problems. Lots of people believe that alcoholics all drink everyday, but alcoholics do all sorts of different things with alcohol. There is nothing in the diagnosis criteria that mentions how often excessive drinking occurs. The correct new term is Alcohol Use Disorder. You can search for the criteria if you are interested.

I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the term alcoholic. I usually do not use it- and it does not have an exact definition. I just do not drink because drinking causes problems for me.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi napoleonbonapar

Speaking personally I wanted to drink just enough to relax. Problem was that nine times out of ten I'd overshoot the mark.

If you try moderating and find you can't then the best option is to join us abstainers.

God bless +
Old 06-02-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Napoleon

it sounds already like you are a binge drinker, you have trouble stopping, and with abstaining.

Regardless of how long (or short) you've been drinking, I think you have to consider maybe the dice have already been rolled for you?

D