Notices

Felt like trouble so went to a meeting

Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Felt like trouble so went to a meeting

I was feeling bored, like I wanted change, feeling sorry for myself, feeling like I was thinking about wanting to drink too many days in a row. So I went to a meeting. In the last six months I've only been to a few AA meetings. The first time I got clean and sober many moons ago I lived and breathed my NA meetings. I'm glad that I learned that go around that when I get a case of the f%%k it's....it is time to go to a meeting. I really wanted to go to the bar but I knew what was best for me was to go to a meeting. I'm glad I went. I need more sober people in my life and that is the only place right now that I know where to find them.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it helped soberclover

D
Old 05-30-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you chose a meeting over a bar. Boredom can make you antsy so fight it and stop feeling sorry for yourself you know what you need to do -keep on doing it and it will get better
Old 05-30-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
I was feeling bored, like I wanted change, feeling sorry for myself, feeling like I was thinking about wanting to drink too many days in a row. So I went to a meeting. In the last six months I've only been to a few AA meetings. The first time I got clean and sober many moons ago I lived and breathed my NA meetings. I'm glad that I learned that go around that when I get a case of the f%%k it's....it is time to go to a meeting. I really wanted to go to the bar but I knew what was best for me was to go to a meeting. I'm glad I went. I need more sober people in my life and that is the only place right now that I know where to find them.
Yay!!!! Good Choice! Helps me everytime! Glad u know what works for u.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad that it helped you!!
Old 05-31-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The meetings got a lot more inviting when I came to the point that I saw them as an opportunity rather than a penalty to pay for being an alcoholic.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-31-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
The meetings got a lot more inviting when I came to the point that I saw them as an opportunity rather than a penalty to pay for being an alcoholic.
So true, Bob. Last night at a meeting one of the speakers led off with, "OK newcomers, here you are...this is it...you are in an AA meeting! Sit and absorb that reality for a minute. You've made it. Your worst nightmare has come true. You are in AA. This is where the drunks are. The REAL drunks. And here you are with us, not as someone being punished, but as a drunk. OK, got that? Great! Now we're going to tell you how you can get better. Because this is where the hell can end and where the really good stuff begins. Shall we get started?"

I liked that. Nice combination of addressing the "OMG I am in an AA meeting!" shocker that is almost inevitable with a cause for some hope at the end. A little tough love, perhaps, but it worked for me