Notices

Burning Sensation - dizzy

Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Burning Sensation - dizzy

Guys, ive been trying to quit for some time, recently managed 5 months, then fell back and managed 2 months, have since ben drinking for another month and now want to give it another shot.

what I find, is that amongst other emotions that pull me towards booze, that at the end of a some particularly hard working days, stresssful days, that I have this craving, thats like a throbbing headache, dizzyness and a general burning sensation inside. That feeling, drives me to drink as I know the booze will relieve that physical/mental state. The booze then becomes my sole objective in life and its literally a white-knuckle ride to avoid.

Ive never been able to put my finger on the exact feeling, there are certainly some physical aspcts of it, but if I could releive the sensation in some other way to booze, I think id be in a lot better shape.

I dont know ! Maybe its all in my imagination !

Is it possible i have some blood sugar problem? Does anyone else have this feeling?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Can't say I've ever experienced anything exactly like that myself.

Not being funny but have you ever tried not giving in? seeing if it goes away?

D
Old 05-29-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Can't say I've ever experienced anything exactly like that myself.

Not being funny but have you ever tried not giving in? seeing if it goes away?

D
Hi Dee, yes, when I did my recent 5 and 2 months I battled through those times, but while that feeling is present im highly vulnerable to wandering into a bar and ordering a drink.

I dont know, maybe its just a feeling one gets before wanting to get out of your brains on booze, a fuzzyness that leads to a single-minded desire to remove that feeling.

Am I just experiencing "cravings" ?
Old 05-30-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your post really strikes a chord with me MrTumble after a recent discovery on my own part.

Originally Posted by MrTumble View Post
I have this craving, thats like a throbbing headache, dizzyness and a general burning sensation inside. That feeling, drives me to drink as I know the booze will relieve that physical/mental state.
When I was first sober I identified a kind of empty feeling in my head which really made me want to drink. I am sure I mentioned it in one of my early posts. I couldn't figure it out as it was seemingly random, though it occurred more at work, and none of my mental practices seemed to make it go away so it wasn't as easy as talking my way out of it like I would with a straight forward 'I want to drink' thought. I assumed some kind of physiological response though and ignored it as much as I could but it never really went away and I thought if it was a craving in time it would. I am now 15 months sober and I think I have finally figured it out. Clearly at this stage it is not a physical withdrawal thing, but I have noticed it coming more clearly now. It isn't as random as I once thought. As my moods are much more stable now and I feel physically healthy (I really didn't before) I have been able to identify that this head thing directly corresponds with moments of anxiety. I didn't think it was a stress thing because usually in those situations the adrenaline is pumping and I feel pretty good. But I have this low level anxiety over really silly little things. Even shopping for food brings it out and I get this weird head thing. Now I have figured it out I am trying to be more easy going about some things and letting some things go, whilst also recognising that this anxiety is something that is beneficial in some ways making me better organised and more considerate. I am hoping in time the weird head thing will subside a bit but I am not so freaked now I know what is causing it. I wonder if your thing is similar, that it isn't really related to booze but that it helped relieve it therefore you have a really strong conditioned response with it. I am sorry I have rambled on a bit here but it really sounds similar to my experience and can understand how it feels because when my head felt like that I just needed to drink. It has taken not acting on that to figure out what exactly is going on. I do think diet and exercise do play a part in this too as I have been convinced that my sugar intake has added to my anxiety and I know that since I started exercising a bit (low level dog walking ) my general anxiety and low mood is a million times better. I hope you get to the bottom of your dizzy burning thing and please forgive me my ramblings but I hope it helps x
Old 05-30-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is where I first mentioned mine. Maybe some of the responses will help you too.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 05-30-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Burning sensation could be acid reflux.

Head could be stress.

Go see a doc and be honest and get yourself checked out
Old 05-30-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anxiety and panic attacks about work could also cause physical symptoms. Do you work in an office with a lot of dysfunctional behavior and politics surrounding you? Does your boss have unrealistic expectations?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by MrTumble View Post
Am I just experiencing "cravings" ?
I'd say yes.

Alcohol's "siren's song" takes many forms, all hard to resist.

Mine were frayed nerves and as soon as I drank I was soothed like a burn is soothed by the application of aloe vera.