Notices

Alcoholism...a disease?

Old 06-01-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

addiction may be complicated, but no matter what solution is used, it is simple.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I'm all for AA if it helps a person stay sober. It has a monopoly on the live recovery methods. I don't think calling a doctor names because he doesn't agree with it is very tolerant or open minded. If something is basically the only available recovery method for most people and has been proven to have a worse recovery rate then people using no recovery method, yes that's true, I think their should be people rethinking the establishment.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

theres always the ability of individuals that have a problem with any recovery method not workin:
start a new one. theres room for it.

its pretty sad when recovery rates come up, its AA that is attacked. im reading some threads here of people using other recovery methods and they "relapsed." and even poeple using no recovery method at all "relapsing."
Old 06-01-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Recovery rates are very hard to measure. What outcome is considered success? Is only permenant abstinence a success? If someone goes from driving drunk daily to only getting drunk at home, once a month, and never driving drunk again: is that success or failure?

AA does help SOME people. Some people get sicker in AA. Some die while trying their damn best to follow what is written in the Big Book. I'm sure we all know people that were regulars in AA that have died from drinking. I sure do. And to me it doesn't matter as much if they failed AA or AA failed them. What matters is that they couldn't stay sober following AA's suggestions. I'm glad that AA is there and I'm glad that there are other things for the 'constitutionally incapable' like me.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Recovering

Does AA work? An impartial view.....

Does Alcoholics Anonymous Work?: Scientific American

Bottom line: In a large study about 20% maintained sobriety for 12 months in AA. Overall the AA group achieved 80% alcohol-free dyas. That compared well with two other therapies in the same trial.

We have to be a little careful here and avoid the risk of begging the question. We can say "it works for those who stick with it". But that's rather like saying maintaining sobriety works for people who maintain sobriety.

AA looks to be among the best, if not the best, approach. But there is obviously still an awful lot of people who struggle to maintain sobriety even in AA. Let's pray that treatments continue to develop and improve - by standing on the shoulders of giants like Bill Wilson.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Come on guys. Insulting others recovery methods resolves nothing and helps no of us here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc--dFFp7mY
Old 06-01-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Talana View Post
I am an alcoholic and I don't see it as a disease. I see it as stupidity on my part.
It was my CHOICE to drink. Nobody forced me, I made bad choice after bad choice. I think a lot of people hide behind that word.
"I can't help it, it's a disease." I don't believe it is.
Ya know, outside of this Southpark episode Abstinence Violation Effect - YouTube , which is clearly making fun of AA and alcoholism... I'm not sure I ever actually met anybody who used the fact that alcoholism is labeled as a disease as justification to drink. Quite certain actually that I haven't.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
Ya know, outside of this Southpark episode Abstinence Violation Effect - YouTube , which is clearly making fun of AA and alcoholism... I'm not sure I ever actually met anybody who used the fact that alcoholism is labeled as a disease as justification to drink. Quite certain actually that I haven't.
Read some of my posts. I've blamed everyone and everything for my drinking. Including the fact that I had a "disease" so I was destined to relapse.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Read some of my posts. I've blamed everyone and everything for my drinking. Including the fact that I had a "disease" so I was destined to relapse.
I've seen lots of people use the disease theory as a reason to trash or not go to AA, but I've never seen anyone actively drinking say, "I drink because I have a disease." Or anything to that effect. If you have, then I now know of 1 who says they did.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Regardless if alcoholism is a disease or not, I feel that being labeled a "alcoholic" can be bring great shame upon the person. The stigma of "alcoholism" is as great today as it was 50 years ago.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

The truth about addiction is that it is very complex and a one "size fits all" solution doesn't work.

Good Luck

It worked for u for 10 years didn't it? If not what did? Do it!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Regardless if alcoholism is a disease or not, I feel that being labeled a "alcoholic" can be bring great shame upon the person. The stigma of "alcoholism" is as great today as it was 50 years ago.
That's one of the many reasons in AA that the 2nd A stands for Anonymous. A lot of sober people like to wear their sobriety on their sleeve, or as some sort of badge of honor. I am a strong believer that my past drinking business is nobody's business but mine, the people closest to me, and people who I might help through my experience. As for people not in AA, diesease or no disease, I think it's something best not shared with the world.

And just for the record, I was never a fan of the disease concept... about 15 years ago road rage was also labeled a disease. They're man made labels, not scientific facts. Whether it is or isn't a disease has no bearing whatsoever on my recovery. I really don't care much what people consider it. I think people should define it as whatever helps them to stay sober best.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

About the shame thing, what else are people to think? , their not gonna say Alcoholic and have a angel with a halo in mind. In my opinion their is shame in being an alcoholic if you are not treating it.

Alcohol abuse is one of the leading causes of accidents from domestic abuse to traffic related incidents. Alcohol increases the risk of accidents at home and work, and of accidents involving fires and drownings.

Around one in three fires are caused by people under the influence of alcohol. And two-thirds of people who are admitted to hospital or die from burns have been drinking . Between a quarter and half of all adult drowning victims have alcohol in their bloodstream .

Even you mentioned that you didn't care if you drove drunk and it was nobody's business. How is society supposed to respond to such a flippant attitude.

I completely understand why there is a stigma attached to alcoholics and if there weren't I imagine many of us wouldn't hit bottom and get help.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder folks - if you want to continue the discussion please keep it civil and on topic.

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

It is also our policy not to allow threads that are purely to announce that you are unhappy here and "leaving the site'" or to post threads discussing why someone left or was banned. Such posts often detract from our purpose of providing support in recovery. Posts of this nature may be removed and continued posting of this nature could jeopardize your membership. If you wish to “leave” SR or just take a break from the site you are welcome to notify your friends via the Private Message feature.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Even though I dont go, sometimes I wish I did...to AA.

I do believe that there is something different in the brain of addicts versus non addicts, and supposedly research has begun to recognize and spread more light on this. I dont like to label it a "disease", but I also hate the other implication that you are getting at. Many strong and awesome people have struggled with alcohol, and sometimes lost. Noone here has any business (such as Alexander the Great or Ulysses Grant) to act like they are weak willed people.

It is still the individuals responsibility to get well though.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

People who meditate frequently have different brains too, but somehow they have escaped the disease label.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
People who meditate frequently have different brains too, but somehow they have escaped the disease label.
How much do you average per day? Its one of those things, like stretching, that I struggle to get a consistent routine despite wanting to.

Im curious though, and how has it benefited you?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I am not a good model for meditation, but what I do is to work at mindfulness. It is important for me to be able to observe my thoughts without becoming them, or needing to act on them, or dwelling on them. Meditation has helped me with acceptance, and learning to be with thoughts that make me uncomfortable. Meditation, mindfulness, urge surfing, acceptance, even AVRT, are different parts of the same whole for me. Acceptance, strength and wisdom, as they say.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Thats good. One of my biggest flaws, by "modern" standards, is that I LOVE simplicity. People think Im weird or strange when I barely use my phone, walk most of the time instead of driving when I can, etc.

A lot of times I really desire to go off into and have a cabin in the mountains, because if it isnt Alcohol its something else. There's always a craving for some sort of extreme (there isnt enough booze or women to satisfy those cravings), and it can never be satisfied...I hate being this way, especially since it always seems to be geared towards bad habits and debauchery. Too bad it cant be towards something more productive.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I wish there was a way to turn this subject into a Sticky Note. It seems to crop up about every other month and results in hundreds of replies. Most which are :horse: