Notices

Alcoholism...a disease?

Old 05-31-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
This is just my opinion. Please just take it as that. No, alcoholism is not a disease. It is a moral choice one makes in life. Cancer patients do not steal, lie and endanger public safety. Family & friends rally around the sick cancer patient but look down upon the alcoholic/addict. Cancer is a disease that one can prove while alcoholism is vague. Most doctors, secretly, do not believe in the alcoholism model. Cancer patients pay their bills & are not looking for hand outs. IMO, the "alcoholism is a disease" model was designed just to make alcoholics feel better & not so guilty. I choose not to pick up because I am tired of being a "drunkard" as the Bible puts it.
So you are not drinking JUSTFOR1? Good 4 u? last post was a far different one.

Medical Community
In 1956, the American Medical Association (AMA) stated alcoholism was a disease, as it met the five criteria needed in order to be considered a disease: pattern of symptoms, chronic, progression, subject to relapse, and treatability.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=deeker;3993341]
Medical Community
In 1956, the American Medical Association (AMA) stated alcoholism was a disease, as it met the five criteria needed in order to be considered a disease: pattern of symptoms, chronic, progression, subject to relapse, and treatability.

If you really research this you will find that some doctors argued against this. Many other countries do not view alcoholism as a disease in any way. If this thread was posted in the Family & Friends Of Alcoholics forum this thread would really be interesting. I lived the "I have a disease" model for close to 10years & all it got me was drunk again and again.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Medical Community

If you really research this you will find that some doctors argued against this. Many other countries do not view alcoholism as a disease in any way. If this thread was posted in the Family & Friends Of Alcoholics forum this thread would really be interesting. I lived the "I have a disease" model for close to 10years & all it got me was drunk again and again.
You have overlooked/neglected the "treatability" aspect ....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-31-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Justfor1;3993359]
Originally Posted by deeker View Post
Medical Community

But what has changed? Since you stopped believing this theory.????
Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
You have overlooked/neglected the "treatability" aspect ....
All the best.
Bob R
The "treatability" aspect of it has only a 10% success rate at best. Is that really treatable? I've known (myself included) dozens of folks who attended daily AA meetings, got a sponser, "worked the program" and drank. If it was really a disease wouldn't "treatment" work better? I believe that it is a lack of character of the "drunkard" that needs to change to be completely sober.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by Talana View Post
I am an alcoholic and I don't see it as a disease. I see it as stupidity on my part.
It was my CHOICE to drink. Nobody forced me, I made bad choice after bad choice. I think a lot of people hide behind that word.
"I can't help it, it's a disease." I don't believe it is.
This subject has been beaten to death. It really doesn't matter what we think about it, if you are an alcoholic, you cannot drink successfully, end of story. Call it what you want. The best part about it being labeled a disease means insurance companies will pick up the tab for treatment. Calling it "stupidity" won't do the same, think about it.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
This subject has been beaten to death. It really doesn't matter what we think about it, if you are an alcoholic, you cannot drink successfully, end of story. Call it what you want. The best part about it being labeled a disease means insurance companies will pick up the tab for treatment. Calling it "stupidity" won't do the same, think about it.
Insurance companies are a big reason as to why it was labeled a disease to begin with. Read some of Dr. Stanton Peele's research and books. He has a different take on the traditional approach.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

The "treatability" aspect of it has only a 10% success rate at best. Is that really treatable? I've known (myself included) dozens of folks who attended daily AA meetings, got a sponser, "worked the program" and drank. If it was really a disease wouldn't "treatment" work better? I believe that it is a lack of character of the "drunkard" that needs to change to be completely sober.
Please do not mislead people, the program does work if you work it.

Reprinted with Permission of AA world Services, inc

How It Works- Big Book
Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average.

There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

The change of character ......

Yes it is called the 12 steps. Have u ever worked the 12 steps completely and thoroughly with a sponsor. Did you have a spiritual awakening. Did you continue to work 10,11,12 on a daily basis. Did you carry the message to those still suffering?

Usually people who drink in AA let up on their program, let up on meetings, stopped what was working for them. We have a daily reprieve based on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. People who are working a solid program rarely drink if that day they are working a solid program. We have one day and one day only. This day. Yesterdays recovery or meetings do not guarantee todays sobriety. What am I doing today for my recovery.

From reading your previous posts Justfor1 it is apparent you let up on working your program. It was only a matter of time before you picked up again. But the real question is what r u going to do now?

Church is a very good start, but you are right character definitely has to be addressed. The spiritual malady of this illness. But you know all about that right?

A.A. Recovery - The Missing Piece: The Spiritual Malady

Linked with permission of AA World Services, inc.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Insurance companies are a big reason as to why it was labeled a disease to begin with. Read some of Dr. Stanton Peele's research and books. He has a different take on the traditional approach.
While i agree there can be arguments on both sides, stanton peele is a snake oil who charges astronomical amounts for "online seminars" His hate (not disagreement ) for AA is fanatical.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
If drinking screws you up and alcoholism is a disease, you had better quit drinking. If drinking screws you up and alcoholism isn't a disease, you still had better quit drinking.

Best thing ever said on the subject. Full stop.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
...It's Time.

Labeling alcoholism a disease just helps the human mind deal better with its addiction .... we are all addicts plain and simple
Old 06-01-2013, 12:02 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nomis View Post
The only thing I know for sure is that when I was drinking, even when I wasn't drunk, I wasn't in my right mind. I had become wrapped up in the idea that I needed alcohol to cope with life, that I needed it to be at peace and have some form of happiness. Only now since I've gotten sober, do I realize how crazy that was.

In any case, mental illness or disease, I'm not sure what the difference is, my brain wasn't working properly.

For those who are already firmly in the choice side of the argument, this is a video that I doubt you'll get far into. For those on the disease side, this is a video that will probably have your complete and total attention for the whole 70 minutes.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hz6-2NwRzE
This video is undoubtedly the reigning authority on this subject. The best explanation I've seen, ever.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
While i agree there can be arguments on both sides, stanton peele is a snake oil who charges astronomical amounts for "online seminars" His hate (not disagreement ) for AA is fanatical.
Stanton Peele is not a snake oil salesman. Just because he totally disagrees with the established approach of recovery method in this country doesn't make him a wacko. We need people like him if we are going to move forward to better methods of treatment. Just because AA is free doesn't make it better. Promoting AA is a multi-billion dollar industry
Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
Promoting AA is a multi-billion dollar industry
What are you talking about ??

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-01-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

there are many,many,many poeple right here on this forum that are 100% successful today using one method or another of recovery. after lookin into all of them, there is one common denominator:action. without that,well, i think we all know what happens.

if nothin changes nothin changes.
i can sit in the garage all day but it wont make me a car.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hey sorry about the multi billions that went into AA- that was totally my fault- when the basket was coming around I reached for a single but accidentally dropped a check for 4 billion dollars in
Old 06-01-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

What are you talking about ??

All the best.

Bob R
All the doctors, therapists, social workers, retreats, rehabs, hospitals, recovery spas etc. that use and promote AA. Almost all of them
Old 06-01-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
All the doctors, therapists, social workers, retreats, rehabs, hospitals, recovery spas etc. that use and promote AA. Almost all of them
They don't make/get any money for recommending AA ... and the reason that almost all of them do recommend AA is because it works !!

Can you see the simple truth in that?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-01-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

They don't make/get any money for recommending AA ... and the reason that almost all of them do recommend AA is because it works !!
Can you see the simple truth in that?
All the best.
Bob R
The truth about addiction is that it is very complex and a one "size fits all" solution doesn't work.

Good Luck
Old 06-01-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

The truth about addiction is that it is very complex and a one "size fits all" solution doesn't work.

Good Luck
The ones that don't fit are well described in HOW IT WORKS.

Good luck to you .....

Bob R