Notices

Anyone else not 100% sure there sobriety date?

Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zjw

Anyone else not 100% sure there sobriety date?

I hate to admit it but I really dont know my sobriety date with 100% certainty. I gave it up and counted days on a calender and counted back to a date but thought gosh I dunno if thats right I thought it was a wednesday not a monday well maybe thats right. I recounted tried again finally just went with it thinking that my date was on a weds on a thurs but by my count it was coming out to a monday.

It sort of bothers me. but I was pretty far gone when I sobered up its nothing short of amazing i got sober at all. I settled in on 6/4/11 thats what the numbers calculated out too tho I wonder if it was the 6th or 7th.

pathetic huh! it was a dark dark time for a while tho I cant get upset about it. I liken sobering up to the following.

There I was drowning in a dark whirlpool down a deep dark well when a hand reached out told me to hang on dont let go I said why i'll never beat this. It said shut up and hang on just dont let go! I dunno who's hand that was or how i managed to hold on this time. But here i am sober almost 2 years later.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know my day but I had to count back on the calendar once to make sure and I wrote it down. In the end though I don't think it matters too much on the exact day, just the general time of the year so you can at least count months and years.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry about it, nothing you can do about it since you're not 100% sure. Plus at closing in on 2 years I would not be concerned with being a day or two off. Congrats on turning 2!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i am not totally sure of mine either. but i do not care.it is about 27 1/2 weeks ago
Old 05-28-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have heard people say "If you can't remember your last drunk then you haven't had it yet." That sort of statement used to bother me because I, like you, was not sure of the exact date of my last drink. It never occurred to me to make a note of it because at the time I did not think of it as my last drink. I did not plan on getting sober after it, my life just worked out that way. I had gone through a dry period after my drinking had, like always, created a disaster. After a couple months I started drinking again, I started with just one which eventually led to two and then my mind was justifying 3 or 4; suddenly it dawned on me that I had been on that roller coaster too many times before and I knew that it would lead me right back to uncontrolled drinking so I knew I had to just stop and stay stopped completely. I tried it on my own for a month or two before coming to AA. Then I heard people talking about a sobriety date and so I had to back count and try and guess when I had taken my last drink. Since I knew it was around the middle of the month of March and it was 2001, at the time my memory was not great, I just made it an easy number to remember by making have only 3 numbers in it and made it 3/13/01. Today I don't take the statement "If you can't remember your last drunk, you haven't had it yet" as a negative. I still remember the damage and destruction that my drinking left in my life so I don't have to remember exactly what I was doing when I had my last drunk what is important is that I know I don't want to go back there again.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello ZJW,

Yes I am in the same boat that you are in. I'm not sure of my sobriety date either. It could be one of several days. The funny part is that we have nearly the same date. Mine would be 6.8.11. I'm not really sure of my sobriety date, but since 8 is my favorite number (it takes up all the lights on a digital clock), I chose to go with the 8th. Looks like we are both nearly at 2 years.

I might go to an AA meeting to get my 2 year coin, but I'm not sure what I'm going to say. Hi my name is Amber and I'm a former alcoholic?
Old 05-28-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

I had a few false starts... I will most likely go by what weekend I quit. That is good enough for me.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

amberbris i'm going throught he same thing with the AA issue. I went for a little while after my 1 year mark but then life ogt busy and i didnt have time to go back. I ponder going now but i dont wanna be the guy that shows up just for the anniversary and leaves.

If you do go yeah you go and say Hi my name is Amber and i'm an alcoholic. If you ahvent gone and done that yet I recomend it. I never did it till my 1 year mark talk about sobering sitting there wondering how my life ended up there... But it worked out for the better it really helped me start to admit that i had a problem yeah i know 1 year after being sober i finally started to say yeah well maybe i had an issue haha.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Is it ur first AA meeting? amber?
Old 05-28-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

I'm not sure. I quit and drank and quit and drank so many times... I picked a date that was reasonably close and I'm sticking with it. I don't think it matters as long as I'm sober.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know the last date I had a drink, but I'm really not sure when exactly I got sober.

I think it must have took 3-4, maybe 5 days for my body to process all the alcohol and be 'sober'. It's a little foggy... and it's only 50 days without drinking for me.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My DOC was crack, but I don't know my exact date, either. I narrowed it down to a week, chose a day in the middle of that weak and made that my recovery date.

I honestly didn't think I'd make it into recovery, so it wasn't like "okay, from this point forward thing". It was more of a "wow, it's been over a month and I really am doing this!" that I decided I needed to decide on a date.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-28-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

wow makes me feel better how many dont know specifics. it was such a foggy time for me. it took all i had to not drink when i had a drink last or what else might have transpired i have no idea. I didnt know if i'd make it then tho i was pretty determined i also didnt know why i was bothering to quit I really didnt think it'd help matters and really felt my life was better with the booze. I'm glad i put it down tho now.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I know the month and year but not the date.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey ZJW

You described me with that hand reaching out bit. I was pretty messed up. I cant remember my date. Good description I can relate.

I was moving house on 18/06/2012 and picked this as my sober date but a week or two before I just stopped drinking.

I can remember pulling out a can of Canadian Club and thinking what's the point I'm stopping soon. I never liked to start if I didn't have enough booze on hand to finish the job, guess it sorta translated to bigger picture too.

So I don't know the exact date either and just guess.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know everyday. "I am sober today". That's it. I actually found it very useful to stop counting days. For me it's focusing just on today.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got sober on Good Friday so I basically used that and forgot the exact date for a few years - then someone asked me and I worked it out from when Good Friday was in 2007 and my posts here.

I may not have always remembered the date but I always remembered how desolate and terrified I felt on the day, and hope I always will.

D
Old 05-29-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
zjw

nigey1 yeah i know the finish the job issue with booze. Generally if I didnt have enough i'd panic go get some more before i got started so that i'd be plenty stockd for the evening. I got to thinking today I dunno how or why i pulled through sometimes but I think of where i was and where iv'e gone too and the hair on my neck stood up thought its nothing short of a miracle i'm here today. and life keeps getting better so i cant help but wonder where this new road is going to take me.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

I thought mine was May 16. I thought I was terminated from work on May 6, a Thursday. I looked at the calendar and it seems I may be off a day or two as Thursday was May 5. Or was I terminated on a Friday? I thought I had a 10 day binge. I think it was only 8 days, two day hangover, another 6 pack. Oh, geez!

Doesn't matter. I keep May 16, 2011 as my sobriety date.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
oak

I don't know either. I wondered how common that was. Much more common than I expected. I like not knowing an exact date.