Notices

Question about Anabuse

Old 05-25-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about Anabuse

I've been trying (without a lot of success) to stay sober for about 9 years. AA has been a pretty big part of my life, but I've never been able to stay sober for more than about 6 months, and I definitely "go out" for months at a time too.

I think part of my problem is that I never created any really dire consequences as a result of my drinking - they have more indirect consequences. And I have a short memory.

So I'm thinking about asking my doctor to prescribe Anabuse. I really think this could make a big difference and prevent those phantom left turns into the liquor store.

My question is whether having Anabuse in my health records is going to mess up anything for me down the road. As of now, there is nothing in my health records to clue insurance companies into the fact that I'm an alcoholic.

Anyone have any idea? I'd also be curious about your experience with Anabuse.

Many thanks.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Thunderwink,

living in Europe I know nothing about the records in the states.

But I'm 19 days sober, and have used antabus on/off so far. For me, it has been beneficial in the beginning. It gives piece of mind to know that you can't drink, you dont have to go through the big discussion with yourself.

Last weekend I had'nt taken antabus for a week, I felt strong and determined. In the evening a friend writes me if we should go to a cafe. And it was like hell going there, I was so close to drinking, arguing back and forth. Even though I felt very strong before. Surely antabus would have helped in that situation, and I took one immideatly after I came home again. I was really surprised it came so close.

That said, I dont think antabus can stand alone, one has to work the habits, thoughts, aa etc on the side.

But - I can recommend it in the beginning.

Edit: I didnt see you're sober for long periods. I dont think its the solution in the long run, I've heard too many stories of failure. But still, maybe worth giving it a try in difficult periods where you feel you're on the edge.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thunderwink - antabuse is not suitable for everyone. Your Dr will tell you if he.she thinks it's suitable for you and your situation.

You could ask them about health records too - I'm not American either.

D