Notices

When does dreaming come back?

Old 05-24-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When does dreaming come back?

I've been sober 17 days now.

In 2012 I had 3 months sober, and I remember I dreamt a lot.

This time, I havent dreamt a single night until now. When drinking I also almost never dreamt.

Does it normally take some time, before the dreaming comes back? Or maybe I just killed too many brain cells since last time...

I'm thinking it might be related to the recovery of the brain, but I'm just guessing.

Anybody have input?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In early sobriety, my dreams were so frightening that I was GLAD if I didn't dream. Nightmares up the wazzoo. I think you are right - the brain recovers in different ways. I'd give it some time. You are probably dreaming, you just aren't remembering them - that's okay too!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Sombrero, yes I can see they are not always wanted, that sounds terrible.

I'm sleeping much better, waking up is like waking from a coma. Feels like I have been 5 levels below the normal level when drinking.

I'm just curious why I'm not dreaming, but maybe you're right I just dont remember. Hope I wont regret wishing for them if and when they come back
Old 05-24-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had the same issue but I am starting to dream again or I am remembering them now.

Nothing scary. Last night I have a dream I did not have enough sleep. Weird. Dreaming about not having enough sleep while I am sleeping
Old 05-24-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm at 18 months, I definitely dream.

Sometimes they are still scary. I had a recent one where I was snorted coke out of the carpet because we dropped it.

I never did that in real life, when I woke up it was like uggggggh.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dotboston View Post
I'm at 18 months, I definitely dream.

Sometimes they are still scary. I had a recent one where I was snorted coke out of the carpet because we dropped it.

I never did that in real life, when I woke up it was like uggggggh.
Ha, yeah totally - those "realistic" using nightmares happened to me quite often in the early goings. Scared the living crap out of me, sometimes they were so powerful and scary that I wrote them down on paper when I got up. I once dreamed I was covered in blood, surrounded by broken beer bottles and empty pizza boxes; I also dreamed that I had accidentally drank alcohol from a friends glass and I was running down the street screaming "AAAAAHHHHH!!!" - then I woke up....thank god, lol.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

just because you don't remember your dreams doesn't mean you're not dreaming. I assure you you are dreaming if you are sleeping and you will return to remembering them
Old 05-24-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As it goes, I was wondering this earlier... apart from my crazy withdrawal dreams, I haven't dreamt once.... 2 1/2 weeks sober.

Maybe it just the brain doing super sleep trying to catch up on years of rubbish booze sleep or something?
Old 05-25-2013, 01:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Torso would you update this thread when they come back/you can remember them, I'm interested? I like the idea that they indicate a more normal functioning of the brain, but it may just be wishful thinking. I'll do the same, seems we are somewhat in sync
Old 05-25-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Will do.... as for last night... no dreams!
Old 05-25-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great! Me neither. Good luck
Old 05-25-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lol, I also had the horrid (and some just plain WEIRD) withdrawal nightmares. I dreamt a lot when I was drinking and sober as well, I'm sure you'll start remembering your dreams soon. I actually liked having drinking dreams as I always awoke from them happy it wasn't real & it gave me a taste of how upset I would feel if I went back out.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Almost 4 weeks sober I dreamt for the first time last night. I somehow tipped a huge ship over, it felt surprisingly great Plan on going back and clean the mess up a bit.

Never had those nightmares or lucid dreams, nothing at all in the first 4 weeks. That I could remember anyway.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I read somewhere that alcohol interrupts deep sleep...where dreams occur. Withdrawal from alcohol for someone that has been abusing it for quite some time has the same effect. Your body should adjust in time. It took mine about a month.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For the first month I was also extremely tired which is another indication that my body was not getting proper rest. Apparently dreaming is a sign your body is entering that deep sleep mode which indicates a good nights rest.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
OX

My first week sober I had too many dreams and wasnt entering the later deep sleep. Nightmares too. 15 days in and still tired but dreams are becoming more regular.