Notices

Bored in sobriety

Old 05-23-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bored in sobriety

I felt like when I was drinking I had a passion for life, friends and everything else.. Until my last days drinking. But even sober going to meetings and doing the steps, I still have no passion for life anymore. Does this ever go away?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Depends on how long you've been sober dgajdusek - and, IMO, on what else you've been doing with your life besides just not drinking.

I think if your life's not what you want it to be, the only person who can change that is you.

I have more of a passion for life now that I had for 10 years - but I had to work for that passion.

The problems with folks like us looking fondly back on 'when I was drinking' is obvious.

I spent a lot of time being sober but still living in a life that had an alcohol shaped hole in it - it was all pretty uninspiring - you gotta fill that hole, dgajdusek.

D
Old 05-23-2013, 02:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How long have you been sober? Are you branching out into other things other then meetings? Any hobbies?

Because I drank at home and alone I find that getting out helps. It made me realize how much time I spent drinking and how I felt any time spent not drinking was a waste.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm only sober 5 months now I just wish I could be sociable again. I feel like I've become shy
Old 05-23-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my nickname is highschool was shyboy. found out i wasnt shy, it was fear.
have ya talked to your sponsor about this?
Old 05-23-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also consider talking to a counsellor or psychologist about this. I only found out after I went through the same thing that I had depression. Working the steps and doing mindfulness meditation has helped but also has speaking to a therapist.
Alcohol certainly is not the answer. I still believe my worst days sober and better than by best days drunk.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pick yourself up and brush yourself off, dusek! You sound like a 13 year-old kid stuck sitting in the middle seat on the family trip to the lake. "Maaawmm, this new smartphone app is booorrring, gawwwd."

Boredom is quickly fixed by going out and doing something. You got 12 hours until the sun rises - what are you going to do tomorrow morning? Make a plan and do it.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Also consider talking to a counsellor or psychologist about this. I only found out after I went through the same thing that I had depression. Working the steps and doing mindfulness meditation has helped but also has speaking to a therapist.
Alcohol certainly is not the answer. I still believe my worst days sober are better than my best days drunk. Best, John
Old 05-23-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow. I have only been sober for 14 days and I have gotten more done than I did in the last 3 months of drinking put together. I am so busy I don't know how I managed to do all that drinking and get anything done.

You know what was boring? Being too drunk to leave the house cause I was too drunk to drive all the time. It was like being in prison!

Being sober gives you back your life, not the opposite.

But, like the old saying goes...................Life is what you make it!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

I had unstable emotions including periods of depressed mood in the first few months. I think it took 6 months for my emotional life to become mine again. I think it was part of a complex withdrawal/healing from toxin situation.

Hang in there. Sobriety is worth it.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
now's the time

I've been feeling this way too, on and off... I find I have to kind of force myself to get up and out and into something fun.

Which I guess is my question for you... do you find that you enjoy things once you're doing them? Or are you unhappy even when you are active?