Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Doing much better, but still cant get over the hump

Notices

Old 05-22-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I posted a couple weeks ago about needing to quit and having an issue with my job being in the alcohol industry. Since then, I have joined therapy and worked diligently to create new non-drinking behaviors. I have drank twice in three weeks, both on a Tuesday night. I have done really well as far as work. I have been to a convention lasting two days, and a tasting and did not drink at either. The trigger for me is a bad back. I have a degenerative disk in my back. It is a chronic issue and will not ever get better. I've done steroidal treatments, but those don't last. My question is, how can I quit drinking, manage my back pain and handle my job all at the same time? I am very close, but can't seem to get past the back pain hurdle. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

MBSR helps loads of people, also people with chronic pain - in fact i think that was the original purpose, then later on it showed all kinds of other positive effects. Maybe give it a try?

Btw very well done in the last weeks :-)
Old 05-22-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think if drinking was effective treatment for back pain, doctors would prescribe it. They don't.

So why don't you see a doctor about the treatments they do prescribe?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have seen a doctor. That's how I know it's a degenerative disk. Had an MRI done. I had a treatment of steroids, but they didn't last. They want to do an epidural, but I've been advised by several people that doing that can make the issue worse in the long run. The pain comes from nerves and sciatica, which is extremely painful and uncomfortable. Now my back is starting to freeze up at times. I don't want to take narcotics, for obvious reasons, and I've managed to not take them up to this point. I realize drinking only helps for the few hours I'm drunk, but I'm at a loss as to what to do beyond the occasional reprieve.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I sympathize with you. Chronic pain is terrible to live with and many in the medical community don't understand pain management or have skewed views of it.

Keeping trying. Be your own best advocate when it comes to your health care.