Notices

I want to cut back

Old 05-19-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Seemedrink; no-one here can give you any guarantees. If you can't cut down, then you're going to have to live as an alcoholic, or abstain completely.
I don't want to seem harsh, but if you won't see a doctor who can supervise and advise on cold turkey, what do you want from SR? Because all you will get from us is our own stories, and everyone and every circumstance is different.
Would you rather turn up at emergency after you've damaged yourself, or deal with the medical profession to stop it happening at all.
How much do you want this? Enough to overcome your dislike/fear of doctors? If not then medically you're on your own.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Out of all the thousands of posts I've read on forums and things I've heard people say, I have NEVER heard someone say they drank alcoholically and then went back to "normal" drinking. The very fact that you're agonizing so much over the question probably shows that you're in a bad marriage with alcohol and need a divorce. It's possible to have fun without it. There are large swaths of society that don't drink at all.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just gonna share my experience. I was drinking a bottle of wine a night for about 3 months. The day I didn't want to drink I had pretty bad withdrawals. It started probably 3 hours after my last drink. They only lasted 2 days and I stayed sober for 2 months. Thinking like you, I decided why cant I just drink on weekends. I bought a bottle of wine and figured just a glass at night. Needless to say I finished the bottle that night. Went back for a month and stopped. While I havent had severe withdrawals again, after testing myself I realize its never going to be one glass when I am at home. If I go out w my friends can I have 2 drinks and stop, absolutely. At home I can not control it so I have made the decision to stay away. And one of the times I had withdrawals, working out, lots of fluid and vitamins helped. I also bought 2 bottles of beer for when the shakes were real bad. Hope this helps a little, but seeing a doctor is always the best advice.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

No one here can accurately predict whether or not you will have uncomfortable or life threatening withdrawals or whether or not you would have fair warning to get help if they occur.

If you don't want the label alcoholic for the rest of your life, you could just be a nondrinker.

Life without drinking does not mean life without fun.

Pretty much all of us have tried to go from alcoholic boozing to social drinking and it didn't work, so we came here, stopped drinking and things are better.

I think most of us can predict with greater accuracy that by quitting all drinking now you explosively increase your chances for along, happy, fulfilling and FUN life.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It is very possible to cut back.. Just takes willpower and determination -Two things a lot of people lack in this world.

I can relate when it comes to not wanting to be labeled an alcoholic with regards to medical records. Especially with "ObamaCare" and electronic medical records becoming the norm. I'd hate to be treated as a second class citizen by doctors for the rest of my life. That's one big reason I didn't head to the ER when I quit for a couple of months here recently. HOWEVER, heed these people's advice! Some of them are very experienced with this unfortunate addiction and they know their stuff. But when it comes down to it you may experience some withdrawal symptoms (some life threatening) or you may not. Seems that there's many factors that play in to this - but if you feel the need to cut back, do it!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notsosober View Post
It is very possible to cut back.. Just takes willpower and determination -Two things a lot of people lack in this world.

I can relate when it comes to not wanting to be labeled an alcoholic with regards to medical records. Especially with "ObamaCare" and electronic medical records becoming the norm. I'd hate to be treated as a second class citizen by doctors for the rest of my life. That's one big reason I didn't head to the ER when I quit for a couple of months here recently. HOWEVER, heed these people's advice! Some of them are very experienced with this unfortunate addiction and they know their stuff. But when it comes down to it you may experience some withdrawal symptoms (some life threatening) or you may not. Seems that there's many factors that play in to this - but if you feel the need to cut back, do it!
You really hit the nail on the head with why I do not want to see a doctor about this. It would result in being treated like a second class citizen by doctors for the rest of my life... and with the way insurance works now, what with employers having to cover more people, it might even effect future employment. There are really good reasons why going to a doctor with this is not a good idea.

I stopped at 12 last night. 14 the night before. Maybe I can taper down, 2 per night, to a safer level (4-6 maybe) and then just stop. But again, I've tried that before and once you're at 6 or 8 the intoxicated mind tries to make up excuses to keep going. Tapering has to be the most difficult way to do this.

I do eat well. I keep myself hydrated and take daily vitamins. I'm at a very healthy weight so it's not like I'm rotting away here or anything as I know some alcoholics have issues with.

I thank everyone for taking the time to respond
Old 05-19-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seemedrink View Post
You really hit the nail on the head with why I do not want to see a doctor about this. It would result in being treated like a second class citizen by doctors for the rest of my life... and with the way insurance works now, what with employers having to cover more people, it might even effect future employment. There are really good reasons why going to a doctor with this is not a good idea.

I stopped at 12 last night. 14 the night before. Maybe I can taper down, 2 per night, to a safer level (4-6 maybe) and then just stop. But again, I've tried that before and once you're at 6 or 8 the intoxicated mind tries to make up excuses to keep going. Tapering has to be the most difficult way to do this.

I do eat well. I keep myself hydrated and take daily vitamins. I'm at a very healthy weight so it's not like I'm rotting away here or anything as I know some alcoholics have issues with.

I thank everyone for taking the time to respond
You're in about the same boat I was. I did the 12 to 16 thing for years without any problems, ate healthy and kept a good weight. Worked without it affecting my performance. Then out of no where I started getting brain fog in the morning and the first drink would make me get very lightheaded and fuzzy.

I decided to quit and I did taper down to about 6 per day before I pulled the plug for good. I know this much, I was never able to moderate. Once I have one it starts the whole thing going again. Sure maybe for a few days I can keep it to just two or three but before you know it I am drinking past 6 again.

It's not worth it for me to even try to moderate anymore, I have accepted the fact that I can't. I need to be completely abstinent or forget it.

Are you like me or can you just cut back? Only you can decide...
Old 05-19-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I went 2-3 days without drinking
seems that you should not have a major problem
why
because DT's usually start in well before the 3 day mark

What is delirium tremens?

Delirium tremens (the DTs) is a severe reaction to withdrawal from alcohol. Delirium tremens can be deadly.

The DTs usually start 24 to 72 hours after a chronic alcoholic either stops or limits drinking.

How is it treated?

Do not try to withdraw from heavy, prolonged use of alcohol without help. If you have symptoms of the DTs, someone should take you to the emergency room at a hospital.
In the hospital, you will be closely watched and sedated if necessary to prevent injury to yourself and others.

Your blood pressure, pulse, and breathing will be checked often. You will be given a special diet and intravenous (IV) fluid supplements. The doctor may prescribe medicines to keep you calm and prevent seizures. You may receive vitamin supplements as well.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I quit cold turkey, and I for sure could and have drank as much as you. My side effects were nausea, headache, blurred vision, and nightmares, foggy mind. I am 8 days sober and everything is gone except the foggy mind and nightmares. BUT everyone is different. I would cut back if I were you. See how you feel. If you can't deal, then I'm sorry, but a Doc would be needed, because you would be sick maybe even deathly. A Doc can not tell anyone your biz. Usually you have to sign a form stating who if anyone can know your medical biz. See if you can get it under control. I tried it many times until I realized I was an alcoholic and 1 drink will always lead to 20 for me. Best wishes to you.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I tried cutting down for years, with no luck, and I drank a lot less than you and a lot less often. I never had physical symptoms of withdrawal either. It isn't so much how often you drink or how much as it is WHY you drink and if you are able to NOT drink. For me, I drank to relax. Take away drinking and I was too anxious to unwind. Drinking allowed me to loosen up and enjoy my free time, or so I thought.

At first, I could control it and I only drank weekends in the evenings. Then it progressed to weekends and whenever I felt stressed. Then, I was drinking around lunch time, taking a nap, and then studying, etc. I did cut down for a long time, but it never stuck. I could moderate for a few months and then I was right back at it.

Like you, I struggled with being labeled an alcoholic. I didn't really want to quit. In fact, I still have problems with this sometimes. It just doesn't seem fair! But you know what, it doesn't matter. The fact that it is not fair is meaningless. I have a problem and only I can fix it. I can accept that and be well or fight it and eventually drink myself to death. I chose to accept it.

Your choice is yours alone - we can't tell you what to do or what is right for you. But I think you know the answer already.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Grateful

I just don't want to drink just because I feel the need to because I don't want to go through withdrawl. I am an alocholic, I admit that. I like being drunk. But I don't think abstinence is the solution. I'm still young and I still want to have fun, I just don't want to be home drinking by myself every night. I've seen what is does to people... it destroys you, you lose friends because of it. I don't want that... I just want to be normal.

I'm at 12 right now and could probably take it to over 20 if I wanted to until I puke. I know that's not normal. I put on weight, I alienate myserlf, and I hate it. I just want to stop but I don't want to kill myself in the process.
I want to be normal too seemedrink, unfortunately I'm not normal and there is nothing I can do to change that. And that doesn't just include drinking. I was born with a heart defect and have had 2 open heart surgeries in the last 9 years, one to replace my aortic valve and one to replace my ascending aorta because of an aneurysm. I wish I was born with a normal heart but I wasn't.

My suggestion to you is to try to cut down...do some controlled drinking. If you can't do that then you will probably have to choose between drinking the way you are now or stopping all together. And if stopping all together requires going to the doctor to help ease your withdrawal symptoms you may have to do that as well. I don't know how bad my withdrawal symptoms would have been because I went to a doctor as a precaution. He gave me a couple of different medications to take for a shot period of time to help with withdrawals and I only had some minor discomfort.

I think most of us wouldn't be here if we could cut down or just drink when we wanted to...in other words drink like a normal person. Either you can drink like a normal person or you can't, and it's been my experience that I didn't have a choice in the matter. I've tried to and I've found that I'm an all or nothing guy when it comes to drinking, I can't stop once I get started.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Severe withdrawal symptoms will normally occur in the first couple of days. I would suggest quitting now before they become an issue. I drank for 30 years and could go a week sometimes without alcohol but the last time I stopped I got a pretty good ass kicking!
You are not going to ever be a social drinker...it ain't gonna happen! I would suggest quitting young before it really ***** up your life. As for the partying there is nothing you can tell me about that I've been there and done that. Looking back at it well trust me it ain't all that.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

if you can cut back, you will.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

You are going through a phase most of us have experienced; I wish you well on your journey. Ultimately you will need to admit you are powerless and your life has become unmanageable, that's the self-diagnosis we are stuck with as alcoholics. We have the only disease that must be self-diagnosed, then we seek treatment in fellowship. THe percentage who can successfully self treat is extremely small.

Good Luck and Take Care; THis site is an excellent place for all of us.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

This is not true.

Because of HIPAA laws no medical information can be released to anyone but you.

I work in the healthcare field. I know this for a fact. The only way they can be released is if you allow it, which in most cases requires you to sign a written release of medical information.

Your employer does not have access to your medical information nor any future employer unless you release it to them.

Your current insurance does have this access because for obvious reasons they are paying for your coverage. But if you should switch jobs and get a new insurance then the old insurance does not transfer that information.

Same with a doctor. If you go to doctor A and then to doctor B those doctor A records do not get sent to the new doctor unless you request the information to be transferred. If you do then again a medical record release needs to be completed.

Now in the case of a hospital or a treatment center where you may see several doctors then all the doctors caring for you can see all the information but again that information cannot be released to anyone but you.

This includes parents, spouses, brothers, sisters etc. Only you and your doctor/insurance has access to this information.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Well I tapered down to 6 and then I blew it today. Last count was 12 and still going.

Lost count by the way.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi seemedrink

Sounds like you should just go ahead and trying cutting back if that's what you want. A healthy maximum level is usually considered 21-28 units per week (a unit being a small glass of wine, a single shot, half a pint of moderate strength beer). From what you've written above you sound like many of us here - you have difficulty moderating. But it's worth a try if that's what you want. I would just say also be prepared to admit to yourself if you're not like people who can drink moderately (lots of us can't).

Personally I could never keep it at a moderate level for very long. Abstinence was the only solution for me.

Good luck, and God bless +

P.S. Just seen your last post. Life gets easier once you face up to the fact that you are not one of those boring people who can maintain safe moderate drinking. But I would stop now.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Well I tapered down to 6 and then I blew it today. Last count was 12 and still going.

Lost count by the way.
So much for the drinking socially experiment, huh? Ready to admit that this problem is maybe more advanced than you were thinking when you first got here?

If we were right about the difficulty in moderating your drinking, perhaps we were right about some other things. I hope you will open your mind and entertain some of the suggestions you will receive if use SR as one of your support tools.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
So much for the drinking socially experiment, huh? Ready to admit that this problem is maybe more advanced than you were thinking when you first got here?

If we were right about the difficulty in moderating your drinking, perhaps we were right about some other things. I hope you will open your mind and entertain some of the suggestions you will receive if use SR as one of your support tools.

Good luck.
Honestly? No. Tapering has to be the most difficult way to do this. It's like quitting smoking. I screwed up. Tomorrow I'll start over and do it again until I get it right.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

seemedrink,
Not sure if you ever read any of pauladmits posts. You could do a search and read through his experiences, as he has similar goals as you.

I tried to moderate in the summer of 2011 and quit in June 2012. For me, I found quitting easier. Best of luck to you