Notices

The Easyway - Update on my progess with the book

Old 06-22-2004, 05:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

You get what you pay for. If it costs nothing then it is worth nothing. Shortcuts provide the user exactly what the name suggests. "Short" success.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A new dawn, a new day...

I think Fuster's comments were aimed at me.
I stand by my comments on the book, and am happy that it has help Middlekey get stop drinking, but I do not think that it offers a viable long term strategy.
As I said, this is only my opinion.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

Nope

Not aimed AT you, but in agreement with you.

Wanting an easy way out is a hallmark characteristic of every addict. It maintains their own control over what is going on, and control is exactly what one has to relenquish in order to find their way in sobriety. Once that is accomplished it is amazing just how much you really get accomplished in your own recovery. Sounds circular but is not.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fuster
.... control is exactly what one has to relenquish in order to find their way in sobriety.
snip
If one happens to subscribe to the AA philosophy.
AA costs nothing. SMART Recovery costs nothing. RR costs...well, you have to buy the tapes, I guess.

Evidently this book wasn't worth seven quid to one person (how much is that in US $, anyway? If it stopped you from drinking one bottle of good wine, did it pay for itself?). Apparently it's worth much more than seven quid to another person.

Bearing in mind that you and I, fuster, haven't read this book and are nevertheless making judgments about it....it sounds like a behavioral approach based on strong aversion techniques. Probably very useful for achieving abstinence, at least in the short run.

As to whether it works for long-term sobriety, it probably has about as high a success rate as any other program. No book is going to provide the motivation or the followup support. But getting sober is the first step to staying sober, and that sounds like seven quid well spent to me.

Rotten's reply doesn't bother me that much, because it didn't work for him. What baffles me is your knee-jerk reaction to it. First you said 'You are living the miracle of AA, Halleluja!'; then when you learned that it wasn't AA you were quite derogatory. What's up with that?

Don S
Old 06-22-2004, 08:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Dan

:spectacle
Yep, I was wondering that too Don.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Dee, I glad to hear about your success. I think if your finding a way to stay sober, and your happy with yourself, your winning!
Old 06-22-2004, 08:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Stay on topic please. Dee is sharing her experience and not asking for an opinion on why you don't like the way she is doing it or why you don't like the book.

Start another thread to continue your discussion.

Thank you

Old 06-22-2004, 10:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

My bad. Sorry. :sad6:
Old 06-22-2004, 11:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!
Sorry. Discussion of the various self-help recovery books would be an interesting thread.
Dee (if you're still with us), I'd love to hear more about this book!
Don S
Old 06-23-2004, 02:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A new dawn, a new day...

'Spose I am guilty too. Just trying to give an outline of the book, but got a bit opinionated...
Old 07-08-2004, 09:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Just to add my Two penneth worth (or dime if you prefer)

I read the version of this for smoking nearly two years ago and hav'nt picked up a ciggy since.

I also started the control alcohol version, but did'nt finish the book. However being nearly six months sober, which was done for health reasons I do find myself thinking about what was written in the smoking book from time to time.

My comments would be if it floats your boat go for it. I too think that AA would not be my thing, but good luck if it is and stick with it.

Well done for what you have achieved middle and keep it up.

Pablo