Notices

Not a great thread...

Old 05-13-2013, 01:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not a great thread...

Damn man. I know I'm better than this. That I can overcome it. But I always find myself at the bottom of the bottle. I don't like the 12 step thing because of the religion thing. But there's no secular recovery anywhere near me. So I just don't know man. It's killing me though. I just can't keep doing it. I'm only 22, about to be 23, and I feel tired of life. And I know it's the boozing. Anyhow, sorry for such a bummer story. Just venting I guess. I have to help myself man.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I entered AA as an agnostic but was leaning toward atheism. I was grateful to find out that I was not required to believe anything. If you can be tolerant of other peoples beliefs, when they differ from your own, you can get a great deal of help in AA.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's not easy but I'm sure you can do it.
Besides you are here with people who are in the same boat and jut reading their posts will inspire you to stay on the right path.
Good luck
Old 05-13-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober starting May 19, 2013

This reminds me...I used to justify drinking by stating that Jesus Himself turned water into wine! Can't believe my own arrogance.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are trying to rationalize and justify your drinking. The common denominator in quitting is not what recovery or rehab you are in, the common denominator is YOU and whether you are ready to quit.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Take a look at your track record, compare it to those who have recovered through the 12 steps. Maybe its worth a shot.

Check out the secular 12 step section here on SR. I know for a fact there is some recovered folks there.

Don't let old ideas get in the way of recovering. You can do it!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

tprice, I was around your age when the realization of problem drinking had started to hit me. Unfortunately, I didn't do anything about it right away. I was in a pretty bad way at the time and it took me awhile to realize that I was actually physically and emotionally addicted to a substance.

Some things I remember fearing. The fear of being young, and quitting. It is sort of unconventional in our society for us to look at adults in their early twenties as alcoholics. In some ways, excess is the norm and even supported by the mainstream media.

There is a lot of truth in that it is necessary to make abstaining from alcohol your #1 priority, and in turn for me I found that getting bored was what led to my cravings. Stay active, and get involved. Don't be afraid to ask for help, and realize that there are also other options than AA such as personal and even group counseling. When you abstain for awhile you will feel feelings that you have been masking with alcohol and those are the most detrimental to get sorted out. By all means don't prolong fixing the problem when you know something is wrong.

It can be hard to get through, but they say that anything worth achieving in life is difficult.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Secular and Sober: Beating Alcoholism Without AA - YouTube
Old 05-13-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tprice View Post
Damn man. I know I'm better than this. That I can overcome it. But I always find myself at the bottom of the bottle. I don't like the 12 step thing because of the religion thing. But there's no secular recovery anywhere near me. So I just don't know man. It's killing me though. I just can't keep doing it. I'm only 22, about to be 23, and I feel tired of life. And I know it's the boozing. Anyhow, sorry for such a bummer story. Just venting I guess. I have to help myself man.
I am not one to preach AA believe me (today will only be my 9th meeting) but I thought the same way. Its not about religion its about something greater than you. Dont we all wanna beleive there is something greater than US? Right now mu "higher power" as they call it are my kids. It could be a tree to you it could be anything.. Dont view it that way or at least try not to. The first meeting I went to I was not feeling it at all but I promised me I would give it more than one. I have about 90 people in every one of my meetings so I though man if they can do it maybe I ought to open my heart and ears and just TRY it. My way has definatley not been working....
Angie
PS I was about 17 when I started drinking I am now 39...its goes fast dont waste the best years of your life ... find your way whatever that may be
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
oak

Sobriety is worth whatever it takes. I got sober at 23 years old. Although I did briefly drink recently, I am so glad that I have been sober most of my adult life. So glad that I did not waste years of my life drinking.

Keep posting here if it helps. Find a counselor if needed. Look for online meetings. I have never tried online SMART meetings but here is the URL.
SMART RecoveryŽ - OnLine Meetings Schedule

Good luck on finding whatever helps you get and stay sober. It is worth it.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also entered AA an atheist and also left an atheist. I'm not a regular, but I needed the basics and AA got me off to a good start. You need to get humbled, I would also suggest trying NA if you dare for something more "no nonsense". Peer support is available in many forms, and you made a good start by coming here. True, the road to sobriety is bumpy and not always fun and games -- but it's much brighter than the dark road you are going on by drinking.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

tprice, you picked the title "Not a good thread..." but I think this is a great thread. You are taking a positive step by stating the problem and you've gotten a lot of support and great advice.

What would make it an even better thread is if you act on some of the links above and post an update saying how long you've been sober! You can do it!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

People get and stay happily sober for good without 12 steps all the time. I did, and our numbers are legion. Most, about 75%, based on a 43,000 subject long term study, quit drinking without any program at all. They are no longer 'in recovery', they have just stopped with the alcohol and got busy living lives.

Look into SMART, AVRT and Rational Recovery, SoS, LifeRing, the Secular Connections forum, there are lots of folks who will support you, just like SR's other forums. These sources are 100% 12-Step and Higher Power free.

You can be free, too, TPrice. Believe in yourself and your ability, you can do this thing. Keep posting, and best to you.