Notices

Binge Drinking - Nightmares?

Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Happiness & Gratefullness NOW

Binge Drinking - Nightmares?

Ok. This never happened to me. I'm a binge drinker, so I went through 48 cans of beer in four days. Finished Friday where I basically weened. I didn't do it not to get withdrawal symptoms, but the binge was over and I had about six beers I finished that day. I finished Friday around five. Now been having difficulty sleeping. This morning, I nodded off and dreamed that I was tired laying in bed sleeping when I heard this chopping noise. I looked up and something was in the wall moving in circles like a robotic animal or bug. I was so sleepy, I couldn't get out bed and kept falling asleep, suddenly it started to break through the wall and was going to fall on me. I screamed, waking up my daughter. Are there nightmares after binging or withdrawing? i am not shaking. No other symptoms, but sweating, but it was also very hot. It scares me that I may get withdrawal symptoms, but I know the way I drink its a matter of time. I had a good day today. No urges though the kids (5 year olds) were a bit hard to deal with. Trust me, I'm going to read the Big Book which Deeker sent to me and looking at urge surfing. Not only that, but I tossed my bottle of Percocet. No more refills. That just fuels me. I feel I want sobriety now. I know now this will kill me. I also have to give the thanks to Jesus. I know this is not all me.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hallucinations don't really go well with looking after kids. Have you considered seeing a Dr?

D
Old 05-12-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck with keeping sober! Have you quit drinking before? Do you have any other peer support or tools besides your big book link? There are a lot of pitfalls out there, so it's good to be aware of them, often times people find face-to-face meetings or counceling to be helpful- this place is also good for support!

As for the nightmares, that's the least of your problems...but yep, nightmares (very vivid) used to shake me to the core. They are far less frequent now but I still wake up screaming and have nightmares, and I'm over 10 months sober. That all varies and it's quite manageable and common.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea I have to say; that would so freak me out .. I get "audible" Hallucinations; but is cause of an old injury. 32 hours in myself and am just hoping I can sleep tonight ..
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was also a binge drinker and would get horrible nightmares for a few days following particularly bad binges. I'd wake up all throughout the night never really getting any quality sleep. That would usually last for 2-3 nights after my last drinking day, then I'd be back to relatively normal sleeping patterns.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know if this was hallucinations or if this was an altered state while sleeping. If you mix percs with a ton of booze having these night terrors doesn't surprise me at all. There is a sleepwalking state. sleep paralysis, and other states depending on your brainwaves. You may think your awake, but you really are not.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I sometimes get weird dreams when I stop drinking
Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Master of Me

In my experience nightmares are common when binge drinking. Also the reason why you find it hard to sleep is because your body has gotten used to having so much alcohol and whatever else in it to get to the sleeping stage and now its all of a sudden gone.

I would say after a few days of being off everything your body should go back to normal and you should be able to sleep just fine.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wasn't mixing Percs with alcohol. I tossed an empty bottle that I could have gotten refilled. Also, it was definitely a dream. It began with other things, dreamed I was at work at a courthouse then dreamed a dog was barking at me. As to quitting of course I've quit beforehand but always go back to it. Because I don't mix my prescription drugs with alcohol, I go days without alcohol. Lately, its two binges a month. (Sometimes less.). I used to be a daily drinker, but stopped when I had narcotics, kratom or kava. I actually prefer kava to alcohol, but its so yucky.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhyIsThisMyLife View Post
I . I actually prefer kava to alcohol, but its so yucky.
what is kava?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cabot, kava kava is an herb that is very renounned for helping anxiety. A lot of people use it as an alcohol substitute. If you take enough you will feel somewhat intoxicated. It also may be hard on the liver and can depress your breathing, so taking a lot is not recommended. It's also nasty as can be.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The nightmare you describe is not real. Phew...

But is binge drinking itself a nightmare to you?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Declard on deed it is. I just realize I have plenty Antabuse. Just wondering if I should start it.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WhyIsThisMyLife View Post
I wasn't mixing Percs with alcohol. I tossed an empty bottle that I could have gotten refilled. Also, it was definitely a dream. It began with other things, dreamed I was at work at a courthouse then dreamed a dog was barking at me. As to quitting of course I've quit beforehand but always go back to it. Because I don't mix my prescription drugs with alcohol, I go days without alcohol. Lately, its two binges a month. (Sometimes less.). I used to be a daily drinker, but stopped when I had narcotics, kratom or kava. I actually prefer kava to alcohol, but its so yucky.
I am the SAME exact way When I have my pain meds and all; and I can control the pain I don't drink at all .. But It is almost ALWAYS the last week - 10days between doctors visits that I have to just Hope I can get through ..
Old 01-02-2017, 05:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ok here's what just happened to me after about 6 days binge drinking. The first day hangover was so brutalnincoild barely move my muscles . Then that night I had the most messed up vivid nightmares and I knew I was sleeping but I couldn't wake. Then the. Nightmares turned into rewlllllly vivid weird dreams like the people in them we are very strange it's now night two and thank God the dreams are. Slowly getting less intense. Very scary what alcohol does to the brain so i said alcohol no more . It's just not worth it for me !
Old 01-02-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would have vivid nightmares after bingeing. my nightmares were scarier than any horror movie. just awful...
Old 01-02-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Read the doctors opinion in the big book when you can!

Take the big book to a meeting and start 2017 off on a new clean slate and keep on going back to meetings, find a sponsor and work the steps! Wishing you the best!
Old 01-02-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR pnutbutta

D