Notices

Do we ever heal?

Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do we ever heal?

Hi my name is Ray. I drank every chance I could from the age 11 to 30 and only quit eight months ago. The improvement in my life is amazing I do still have some cognitive issues but after drinking for so long I'm not shocked at all by that. I'm just wondering if these issues will get better with time, like the mind will heal from the damage done or should I go to a shrink because any repair would've taken place already. Really the real question is will we ever fully recover?
Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it depends on the person and on the type of damage Ray

I think I've healed - for me that was a mixture of hard work, time, patience and a little therapy

If you think you need professional medical assistance I say go for it - there's no shame in it.

D
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DAB

The 12 steps are the best way I know to heal the mind and spirit.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Radray...how old were u when you got sober? Dee....how oldwere you?

Ray....what cognitive issues do u have?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was 30 when I quit. The cognitive issues I have are simple, trouble completing projects, times of depression and anxiety. I should've ask my question like this; If we damage our bodies and minds drink how long does it take to recover? If you look up time line for quitting smoking I'm looking for a time line for quitting drinking.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was 40. My cognitive recovery was complicated by the fact I suffered some mini strokes in my last detox.

For a year or two I thought I'd never get back to what I was...but considering the damage I did I'm happy with where I am now - I'll never be the same, but who is the same as they where 6 years ago?

I'm back to as good as ever, more or less.

D
Old 05-10-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So you're saying six years. That isn't bad when you think about how long and how much I drank. I know my time may vary as everyone is different but to be honest I'm a little excited getting better feels goog. Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm saying five, six years for me Ray...you or anyone else? who knows?

D
Old 05-10-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I suppose it depends on a lot of factors, but the human brain is infinitely adaptable and if some pathways have closed off it can open others. Use it or lose it is definitely the rule, so take up something that challenges you to use it to the max.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Anything is possible with God, so believe for a miracle. Faith will bring one on. I know I am one.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
now's the time

A number that I come across in most of the literature is 1 year... as a minimum, not as a maximum. So don't worry yet! But also don't wait to see a shrink... if you can, why not? It can only help.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RadRay View Post
I was 30 when I quit. The cognitive issues I have are simple, trouble completing projects, times of depression and anxiety. I should've ask my question like this; If we damage our bodies and minds drink how long does it take to recover? If you look up time line for quitting smoking I'm looking for a time line for quitting drinking.
Really that sounds like a normal person to me. I catch hell completing projects and nobody feels good all the time.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi. Sometimes I get caught up with questions like yours and need to remember that much of my concerns are MY ism, which may not be others concerns, and fortunately they dissipate within hours or the next day. Many years in AA have given me tools for different situations that work. Today one might be "let it go" tomorrow it might be "easy does it" etc. It's often said that there is a tool for every nut, but we have to use it or accept the results. BE WELL