Notices

Not sure if this is the right place for this..

Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure if this is the right place for this..

But I figured I'd go ahead and make a post here.

Every since I was about 17 (I'm 23 now), I've been drinking. It wasn't very heavy at first, maybe just once or twice a month. But starting about two years ago, I started drinking maybe 2 nights out of every week.

Starting around this time last year (because of the anxiety from a break up), I started drinking much more. It was usually about 4 or 5 nights a week, and has continued until recently. In the past two weeks, I've made two attempts to stop, but I never got past the 48 hour mark. A few hours ago was my 48 hour mark, but after reading about the potential danger with alcohol withdrawal, I drank one 10 oz beer and don't know what to do next.

So far all I've really experienced are slighting shaking in my hands, but not all day. A headache that comes and goes, nausea that comes and goes, pretty bad anxiety (actually feel like I'm on the verge of a panic attack right now, but I've had those while not trying to detox from alcohol), and heart palpitations. I'm wondering if I should try to taper off or if I should see a doctor about it.. again, I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this in, but I really need to get it out there.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always recommend seeing a Dr - I had a very bad last 'home alone' detox Diego...I don't wish that on anyone.

Go see someone - it's best to be safe

welcome to SR

D
Old 05-09-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

If you feel you need to go into rehab - a clinic - do so now. Call a cab or have a family member take you. Otherwise, you are going to have to tuff it out for a while. Tomorrow, seek out an AA meeting. GO TO IT!! Try to go to one everyday for as often as you can. Without meetings it's near impossible to get sober. But the bottom line is this....you're just going to have to SAY NO to your addiction! Even if you go to rehab - which I think you should - you will still need to go to meetings, work the steps and say NO to your addiction everyday for a while. Drop your drinking buddies...that's right, drop your old friends and stay away from the places you used to drink at.

Bottom line...how bad do you want it? Sobriety does not come easy! How bad do you want it and how tuff you going to get with your addiction?

Good luck to you.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. I can't help but think something bad is going to happen right now. I just had a very light mixed drink, less than a shot in it, and I don't want to drink anymore, but I can't get that feeling out of my head. I know it's just bad anxiety, but it's still worrying. I almost feel like going to the ER for it, but I know that it's not that serious at the moment.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Honestly Dave, I really want to stop. But the worrying and anxiety is getting the better of me right now.

And thank you.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DiegoWaffle View Post
I know it's just bad anxiety, but it's still worrying. I almost feel like going to the ER for it, but I know that it's not that serious at the moment.
I would listen to your instinct on this one. If you don't think you can get a handle on this by yourself maybe you should go get immediate help. If nothing else see a regular Dr. as soon as you can. My thoughts are with you as you figure this out. You have the strength to get through this!
Old 05-10-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome to SR. Hope you keep posting.

Seeing a doctor might relieve a lot of your anxiety. I don't know what the withdrawal would be like after drinking 4 or 5 days a week. But everyone has different withdrawal symptoms, so talk to a doctor (especially since anxiety regarding withdrawal is getting in the way of stopping).

And congrats on realizing it is a problem and starting to stop early.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Hey, how are you doing?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks to the advice of these posts, I went to the doctor Monday. She prescribed me Valium to help me get past the anxiety and the withdrawal. I haven't had any alcohol since last Saturday.

Again, thank you for the support and advice, and I'll most likely continue posting here often.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that you went to the doctor and are doing well. Going to the doctor is an admission that you have a problem, which is half the battle IMO. Keep posting us on your progress.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, I haven't had any alcohol in over a week. Some of my Valium were stolen, but I made them last long enough that I'm pretty sure I'm over any sort of withdrawal.

That lasts 5-7 days, right?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you should be doing ok now, yeah
congrats

D