Notices

1 months - now doing other drugs

Old 05-08-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Buddhist

1 months - now doing other drugs

Stopped drinking for over a month now... but now with such boredom I've been doing blow every day. You won't find me doing it for days, I always get to sleep by 1AM no problem I just tend to do tiny lines throughout the day.

I do gym 3-4 times a week a long with yoga to keep me occupied.

Anyone else quit drinking and start using something else?

Now I have another problem to deal with
Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Did you have help when you stopped drinking? I ask because I couldn't do it on my own.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Perhaps the substance itself is not the problem? The problem seems to be your need to not be sober. HAve you looked at the reasons why sobriety is so boring for you?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your problem is that you need a substance to get away from yourself. Coke might not be your doc, but don't let it become it. I've never met an addict who didn't start out recreationally at first. In a month you might be doing a lot more than a few lines.. Sounds like its time to invest in a program of recovery.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us have stopped something and found ourselves starting up somethign else.

That's why I eventually realised that none of the drugs or the drinking I did was the problem. I was the problem.

I was trying to fill an unfillable void in me.

Things got a lot better when I stopped trying to fill it and started working on healing that void instead

D
Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh yes, definitely. I just posted something on another thread about this. It's like putting your finger in the dyke to plug the hole...only to see cracks and leaks appear elsewhere. I am struggling with this as well and have similar feelings about this subject.

The good thing is that you've become conscious of this issue. Addictive behavior. Fixing this seems to be the real trick - it's not booze, pills, coke, and weed that are the bad guys - the bad guy is US, or at least inside us somewhere. Whether it's skipping school, blowing off a meeting, drinking too much, criminal thinking - I've always had an active addictive brain that leads the way. Even when I'm not acting on it, there's a "restlessness" there that is always barking, and those days can be just as bad or worse than engaging in the behavior itself. Figuring out how to stop that rascal from being active is a challenge. Especially when you never know where it will show up next...I am sorry to hear you're doing coke but the fact that you are seeking peer support is a positive sign. You know quitting is the only answer, yet something inside you will not allow it....wish I knew a quick fix. I do sympathize for sure.

Thanks for the post and allowing me to share these thoughts.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Before I admitted my alcoholism and stopped drinking I avoided anything "habit forming" like gambling, video games and recreational drugs. I failed to see that my drinking was an addiction and my self defeating behaviors had become habits themselves. It was a surprise to realize while I was using one logic on a number of things I was clearly demonstrating all the hallmarks of addiction toward another that I felt was not a problem. People had a problem, not me. The hierarchy of controls in safety states that the most effective form of controlling a hazard is through elimination not substitution. Abstinence from all potentially dependance forming substances is the way to go. Good Luck.