Notices

Hobbies?

Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
Container gardening requires very little knowledge or skill and a lot less time and effort than "regular" gardening -- and you don't have to own property! Pretty inexpensive, too. Take 30 minutes or so to plant a single pot with a combination of two or three (or, if you have a big pot and some ambition, four or five) different plants/flowers.

When you're done you have this beautiful thing to admire and to watch grow every day that requires little maintenance.

You should be able to find an inexpensive container gardening book or magazine at a bookstore or home improvement center. That wlll give you some instruction and ideas for combinations -- just deciding what flowers/plants to use is at least half the fun! All you really need is an inexpensive pot, some potting mix, and your plants.

I imagine that someone at a nursery or gardening center in a home improvement store can help you pick plants that have similar water/sun/shade needs.
Hey good idea im gonna try that
Old 05-09-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post

I am finding myself restless. Any ideas?
I like bicycle riding
trips to the desert (God's country)
radio controlled cars
gym
Old 05-09-2013, 01:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
Container gardening requires very little knowledge or skill and a lot less time and effort than "regular" gardening -- and you don't have to own property! Pretty inexpensive, too. Take 30 minutes or so to plant a single pot with a combination of two or three (or, if you have a big pot and some ambition, four or five) different plants/flowers.

When you're done you have this beautiful thing to admire and to watch grow every day that requires little maintenance.

You should be able to find an inexpensive container gardening book or magazine at a bookstore or home improvement center. That wlll give you some instruction and ideas for combinations -- just deciding what flowers/plants to use is at least half the fun! All you really need is an inexpensive pot, some potting mix, and your plants.

I imagine that someone at a nursery or gardening center in a home improvement store can help you pick plants that have similar water/sun/shade needs.
There is a lot of information on container gardening online. I am doing that this year. I already have tomatoes and peppers planted. I love my plants
Old 05-09-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Guys

I havent been on here for yonks but because I am restless, wanting a hobby (distraction)...here I am and reading this great post!

Originally Posted by Che View Post
Maybe you consider it for children, but video games are a pretty good way of occupying yourself. It's better than just watching a movie or listening to music, because it involves you actively, and depending on the game, even challenges you mentally (without being too stressful).
Can you or anyone recommend any good games online I could try, more brain or social games than shooting/guns and such. Are there any good ones I can download for free on my ipod. I read alot on my ipod, but games would be good too, maybe memory or word games?

I am trying to exercise but you can only do that for so long.

I also have bad issues with food, so baking is out the window for me. I'd prob eat the cake mix even before it reached the oven, lol.

I loved reading about 'Nevertheless's' - "Mine is radio control airplanes.", great hobby which sounds fully absorbing, that's what I'd love to get into a real hobby.

I am happy to trade all my neg addictions for healthy ones...Perfect! I have just gota find my nisch.

I have started taking 'Bridge' lessons and do play online but it hasnt grabbed me like I hoped it would. I am keeping it up though, so thats good.

Anyway, great to be back on this site, hope all you guys are doing well.

HUGS

J x
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaveAnomie View Post
A good role playing game does the trick for me. Immerse myself in a fantasy world for a few hours and problems seem to slip away. At least for a bit
This kinda thing above, I wouldnt know where to start looking as there are so many, soooooooooooooo which are the ones worth looking at as a starter??

Thanks in advance x
Old 05-09-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sealpoint View Post
This kinda thing above, I wouldnt know where to start looking as there are so many, soooooooooooooo which are the ones worth looking at as a starter??

Thanks in advance x
Skyrim, uncharted , little big planet, metal gear solid , maddens if u like sports to name a few. :-) pm me and I can tell ya a bit more !
Old 05-09-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I do tons of stuff now. Some of these things I did for years (my whole life ) and others I took up just more or less recently. Just some off the tops of my head are-

Fly Fishing, fly rod building, fly tying, Gardening & flowers, Growing & maintaining Bonsai trees, Video games, remodeling the house, Aquariums & fish keeping, Reading, working out/walking/jogging (lost 150lbs in the past year ) working on muscle cars/restoration, movies/TV, music.

I think the better way to put it is what Don't I do now that I am sober. It's hard for anyone to suggest what hobby you should get into because only you will know what you get true enjoyment out of. So just start trying some things that you think you may enjoy and see where they lead you is my .02 cents on what to do. You'll end up finding something you really enjoy.

Steve
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've taken up gardening, joined a kickball league, and attend lots of minor league hockey and now baseball games. I've also been on a rant...cleaning out of closets, drawers, and cabinets. Purging my home of uneccessary junk and clutter, it's cathartic, kinda parallel to what I'm doing in m mind!!

Explore the interests you had in your youth, and see if you still enjoy those things.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober starting May 19, 2013

I'm gonna try to get back to writing. It's kind of an agonizing thing for me, but the final product is generally pretty good (or at least not bad). I'm hoping some of my concentration returns, though I still have ADD. Had it bad when I was a kid, but that was way before they had an official diagnosis for it.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Tea, and I'm not talking about supermarket tea bags, I'm talking about high quality, loose leaf teas from good vendors. Tea is a really good thing to get into because it's a drink that can rival alcohol in terms of the complexity and ceremony.

Tea is healthy, has moderate to low caffeine, making it a suitable alternative to coffee. It's also relatively cheap compared to alcohol and if you start collecting cups and teaware it gets addicting. I know when I smoked pot that was one of the things I enjoyed; the glass pipes, going to the smoke shops, collecting pieces, tea can rival this easily.

If you're interested here is a video of a typical gong fu session. These guys do a really good job of explaining what's going on.

Tieguanyin Oolong, Anxi County [TeaDB Episode 1] - YouTube

This is a really enjoyable and relaxing hobby, I do recommend it.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober starting May 19, 2013

Yeah, thanks to my daughter, I "discovered" tea (the real thing) fairly recently. It's a lot of fun! My wife collects teapots, too.