Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Having a few cocktails right now sounds like heaven

Notices

Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have just made some more money recently and it has become a trigger for me to think about drinking. I am constantly fantasizing about about getting mellow with some nice bourbon or beer. I feel so healthy now as I've been sober for 3 and half months. To get some cocktails in me now would probably feel amazing. I'm getting bored with sobriety. My love for the drink is very strong right now. I can't stop the daydreams of sipping booze.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

That siren's song has lead many a recovering alcoholic to hell. Don't go there.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a sneaky thing the alcoholic voice, ignore it, and do other things if feeling bored. I'm at 13 months and sometimes I forget what it was like when drinking.

As every now and then, I think the same as you. As my mental health is better, I earn a third more than what I did before... there is no more chaos.

Then I remind myself I got the above by not drinking.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Go to a meeting, run, workout, race a speed boat. Getting "bored" with sobriety happened to me last time I was dry for about a year, Heaven quickly turned into Hell. I know what your sayin'. Keep it in Dream Land.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nothing wrong with being bored. everyone gets bored drinking or not drinking, just a mind game. alcohell is boring, always gives the same results , well for me anyway.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Get your mind out of the gutter Buddy
Old 05-07-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I once got super pissed off in a meeting after somebody commented that alcoholics are mostly in love with their hangovers. I think the point of the comment is that feeling all "Woe is me! I'm a helpless drunk, whatever shall I do?!" can be a hell of a lot more entertaining than getting up, paying the bills, getting the kids to school, etc.

I'm sure it wouldn't have pissed me off it it weren't true on some level.

Anyhow, good luck with the day dreams. I've been struggling with them myself lately, but not enough to make me want to put a bottle to my lips.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hear ya friend. Once this warm weather hit here it has been twice as hard not to give in to the deceptive fantasy of alcohol. Last year at this time, I am certain I would be rocking a full buzz right now, sitting in the sun. Lovely, sure, but then, I would continue after the sun went down. Stagger to the store for cheap wine, black out, wake up the next day still slightly drunk. Well, why not keep the party going? Drink what was left of the wine, pass out midday, maybe head to the bar or liquor store, pass out again. Wake up again still sort of drunk. Repeat, repeat, till I am on a full bender that I am too afraid to stop cuz I am so scared of the withdrawals, the shakes, the crushing anxiety.

I have much less sober time than you, but I know what you mean about feeling so much healthier. It is such an amazing feeling. I don't want to lose it and I know you don't either.
We can do this!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe you need to go back and read your old posts Cabo - or go over to Newcomers and read someone elses?

there's nothing heavenly about drinking CB - nothing.

D
Old 05-07-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cocktails? I remember those. Technicolor vomit and the worst hangover of my life. Run in with the Law and near death experience in New Orleans (Mardi Gras 1990). Had more fun with Sumbuca, Stroh Rum and Tequila head bangers.
Yep, warm and fuzzy feeling all over.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

DO NOT BELIEVE THE LIE.

The lie that you tell yourself that you can have a few cocktails. Because it won't be a few. And you will regret it.

Don't do it!!!!!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful

I'm sorry to say but at 3.5 months sober if you picked up a drink right now the sobriety you have amassed would ruin any enjoyment you might think a few cocktails might give you. It's not even worth the hassle of going through the bad feelings you would have the next day. Unfortunately I am speaking from experience.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Think about the cocktails and then think about what happens after the cocktails. If you're like me, you would have too many and end up doing something or saying something stupid. Then wake up with a killer hangover and the return of the self loathing.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Im approaching 3 months my friend and I can tell u, no amount of money in the world would be enough to make me wanna drink!..just remember theres a really good chance u may never sober up again and that this disease will kill you. Im sorry to be so blunt.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Think it all the way through, will it really stop at one? probably not.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
...getting mellow with some nice bourbon or beer.... the daydreams of sipping booze.
I could be wrong, but I highly doubt that "getting mellow" and "sipping" are a) what you really want or b) where you will end up stopping.

You need to dispense with these happy little "daydreams" (as you yourself call them) and confront the reality of what you are talking about.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

caboblanco ...let's be honest my man ...we all love being drunk/buzzed it's awesome ! ....It's the side effects that suck ...You need to focus on why you stopped to begin with and not how awesome it would be to be buzzed because it is awesome ...but 5-6 hours of good feeling is crap compared to a all the pain for yourself and others ( hangovers , loss of motivation , health issues ). That and everytime you fall off the wagon you take a major risk for health issues when you get back on ...just think about it ..it's not worth it especially since you made it past the dt danger zone !
Old 05-07-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

we all love being drunk/buzzed it's awesome !
you're not speaking for me.
I used to love it...I couldn't think of anything worse now.

Change does occur

D
Old 05-07-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry dee I was not trying to speak for anyone but I mean I believe their is a reason we all had an alcohol addiction and it's not because the buzz sucked ...but sorry to imply :-(
Old 05-07-2013, 11:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
alcohell
What more needs to be said? Awesome DarkDays, and true.
It was a nightmare Cabo, do you want it back?

If you are bored, I can think of so many things you can get involved in...
bet you could too!!

Love V xx