Notices

What have I gotten myself into /:

Old 05-16-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((citers dad)))))

When I found recovery my heart stopped 11 times, and on the 11th resuscitation the ER DR after 28 minutes called it and was writing the T.O.D. on my medical chart when my heart started on its own. I woke up/came to late that evening in a hospital bed in what I was to find out later was the ICU, with 4 IV's in me each on a different limb, lol The next day I was moved to a regular bed on the medical floor. I went into the ER early on a Monday Morning and was released on Friday around noon. I hope that it is the same for your son.

I then went into a recovery home for alcoholic women for 90 days. Your son might consider trying the Salvation Army as they have a really great 'rehab' program and it is FREE.

That was almost 32 years ago now. I was given a 2nd chance and it sounds like your son has also been given a 2nd chance.

He has our support here, and many of us are sending prayers and/or good healing thoughts for his recovery.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-16-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
(((((citers dad)))))

When I found recovery my heart stopped 11 times, and on the 11th resuscitation the ER DR after 28 minutes called it and was writing the T.O.D. on my medical chart when my heart started on its own. I woke up/came to late that evening in a hospital bed in what I was to find out later was the ICU, with 4 IV's in me each on a different limb, lol The next day I was moved to a regular bed on the medical floor. I went into the ER early on a Monday Morning and was released on Friday around noon. I hope that it is the same for your son.

I then went into a recovery home for alcoholic women for 90 days. Your son might consider trying the Salvation Army as they have a really great 'rehab' program and it is FREE.

That was almost 32 years ago now. I was given a 2nd chance and it sounds like your son has also been given a 2nd chance.

He has our support here, and many of us are sending prayers and/or good healing thoughts for his recovery.

Love and hugs,
Wow, what a story.

The courts sentenced me to 4 months behind bars recently but the public defender asked for a 6 month program (Salvation Army)...so for the last 3 weeks I have been trying to get in. Unfortunately I have not passed the urine test...which kept baffling me because I was testing positive for benzodiazepam...which I don't usually take. But then I remembered about 4 weeks ago I found about 25 of them and plowed them down in 2 days. What I didn't know was that they can stay in your urine for 6 WEEKS!! I have 1 more chance this Monday...if I don't pass I will be homeless and asking the courts to send me to jail. If I get in I will be so grateful, I have heard good about the program.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Guys he's setting history. The doctor said he's never seen anyone come out from that far and improving. That's my little man!! He's stabilized and pulling back through guys he has got this now.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear that Citers Sr.

D
Old 05-17-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

He's doing great! That's my little man! Ill let him reply as soon as he's fully awake. I knew he would keep his promise of kicking this no matter what. And my name is lance his dad and his name is Nathan. You deserve to know.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

We look forward to hearing from him. So happy for you both. Thank you for keeping us informed. We will be here for him through the ups and downs of getting sober.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

He's still getting better thank you all for the prayers
Old 05-17-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Only about until midnight until he's conscious again so the next message will be from him. That's my boy!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Pretty powerful story Nathan!

Hooya! Get it done and looking forward to hearing from ya when over the worst.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

He's still getting better.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Still getting better. God he's daddies little man I can believe he was ever living in my nut sack. I can't believe he's nothing like me I wish I could be more of a man like him but good god I don't have a chance.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by citers0506 View Post
Still getting better. God he's daddies little man I can believe he was ever living in my nut sack. I can't believe he's nothing like me I wish I could be more of a man like him but good god I don't have a chance.
Oh yes you do! Look at the example that he is setting for you now. What a blessing! And think of how much he loves you and needs you right now. Man up!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hes still doing better everysecond. i couldnet Good god It takes me at least ten minutes to sign in. I don't know how you Kidd do this touch screen **** but I can't get it down
Old 05-18-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by citers0506 View Post
Hes still doing better everysecond. i couldnet Good god It takes me at least ten minutes to sign in. I don't know how you Kidd do this touch screen **** but I can't get it down
Like I said I can't seem to get this down but he's getting better every minute. Wait for it as soon as he's up hell be the one talking. By the way thank god this iPhone or whatever can spell for you
Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Lance, thanks for keeping us informed.

TjHook, why not just take the 4 months in jail? You may even get out early for "good credit" or different types of programs inside. The Salvation Army program is filled with the same types of men you would meet in jail. I say this having been both in the Salvation Army program and Cook County Jail.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Glad your son is pulling through, Lance. He is lucky to have such a supportive father.

I actually went through a similar situation myself. I was drinking a fifth of vodka every night after work for around 3 years. It was the withdrawals that got me. I had the DTs; I was hallucinating and throwing up dried blood. My family came to my apartment to find me on the floor because I couldn't even stand up. I ended up in the ICU, on a ventilator and in a coma. I had 6 blood transfusions, and 7 IV's, including a main line to my jugular for benzodiazapines to try to stabilize me. My family was told that I had basically a 0% chance of me pulling through, that I wouldn't make it past the fourth day, and to start planning my funeral.

But I woke up.

I ended up with alcoholic hepatitis (temporary) and aspiration pneumonia from all the vomiting and having a breathing tube down my throat for 4 days. When I was admitted, my liver panels were off the chart. I had to re-learn how to walk and talk again. But when I was discharged just a week later, my labs were almost back to normal and they are fine now. The doctors said they had never seen such a quick recovery and I am now a case study for liver function regeneration.

My experience has been a huge motivator to stay sober. I am so grateful to have a second chance at life. It sucks that my bottom had to be literally as low as a person can go, but I cannot change what happened and can only use it as a learning experience moving forward. I know in my heart that if I pick up again, I will die. Alcoholism is truly a life and death situation.

I would highly recommend suggesting to your son that he should go to inpatient rehab. He will need time to detox, both from the alcohol and the drugs he got in the hospital to keep him alive. You cannot force him to go, but hopefully he will understand how serious his situation is. I pray that this will be the wake-up call he needs to get help. It definitely was for me.

Rehab and AA saved my life. I go to meetings every day, have a sponsor and am active in my home group. I also go to outpatient treatment four times a week. I only have 52 days sober, but my life is the best it has been since I can remember. People like Nathan and me cannot do this alone. We need all the help we can. Luckily, help is out there if he's willing to accept it.

Sorry my first post is so serious, but this disease is not a game. I never thought that my drinking would lead me where it did. I thought I had everything under control. I had a great job that I managed to excel at, I had a lovely girlfriend and I never had any consequences from my drinking before my near-death experience. But obviously I didn't have it under control. Jails, institutions and death can happen to any of us at the drop of a hat if we keep using. Not everyone alcoholic gets a second chance at life. I never want to waste mine.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Two amazing stories on one thread. Glad to hear both of you are pulling through.

Welcome to SR, digdug! You might want to consider reposting this comment to its own thread so you can get some focused feedback. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-18-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hey guys itf Nathan I apologize for the spelling this phine is spelling for me lol they havr mr on like 3 IVs son I'm ******** as hell but I tols y'all il do it
Old 05-18-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back Nathan - it's ok to rest tho man, we and the rest of the internet are not going anywhere

D
Old 05-18-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Wow. What a miraculous story. Good to see you getting through this awful detox.