Notices

Didn't See This Coming

Old 05-05-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Didn't See This Coming

Hello Everyone,

During college, I drank a lot, because let's face it, everyone did. All my friends drank heavily 3-4 times a week and of course I joined in with them.

I didn't think anything of it at the time because everyone drank so heavily. I figured this is normal for a college kid.

So for roughly 5 years of my life I would drink 3-4 times a week (6-10 drinks per night).

Now I've graduated college and as it turns out, I still drink quite a bit, the only difference is that I don't have people drinking with me. I find that I need alcohol to "be myself" and "be comfortable" in social situations.

When I know I am going to be home all by-myself I can go a night or two without drinking but if I am going to be hanging out with friends or my girlfriend I need at least 4 in me to have a good time.

I know this is a problem, I just need advice on how to get started. I'm not sure about AA, I was hoping more for ways to get over this on my own.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

YesItWillGetWorse.

Read these forums , plenty of advice .

good luck.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

There's also seeing your Dr and/or a counsellor, inpatient or outpatient rehab and of course places like SR

I also recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

The main thing tho - whatever you decide to do - is do something.
The problem with being your own recovery boss is often keeping the momentum going.

Welcome

D
Old 05-05-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First off, try quitting totally. For, let's say, a month. If that doesn't work, try controlled drinking...don't have more that 2-3 drinks when you do drink. If you can't do either, you may have a problem. If you don't do anything about it, like me, you may find yourself with unbelievable consequences due to drinking. You may find yourself drinking first thing in the morning to quiet the shakes. I won't burden you with the hospital trips to detox from alcohol. They weren't too fun.

But why go it alone? Give AA a shot...I've met some wonderful folks in the rooms.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dee is right. No matter what approach you take, take it seriously and act on it. Wishing to be sober would work, only action towards being sober will work.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You could always give AA a try. I have gone to a few young people's AA meetings and they have really opened my eyes. You do not have to talk at them if you do not want to. You can just listen to what others have to say. Going to AA meetings has helped me, for the first time in my life I met others that could relate and I did not feel alone. I have tried quitting one too many times by myself and always wound up back in the same place, drinking to feel comfortable in social situations or numb my negative thoughts. Today I am 28 days sober and taking one day at a time. You never know unless you try. There are also AA meetings online, you can try StepChat.com. Best of luck to you and keep coming back!
Old 05-05-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the advice, you guys are right I definetly have to take action or things won't get better. Talking to my doctor was a good idea maybe there are things you can take to help with alcohol withdrawal. I'm going to read this form and schedule and appointment with him.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Will, I strongly recommend that whatever else you do, keep coming back and reading posts in the forum. When I was exploring quitting, I spent a lot of time going through current and previous SR threads. It helped me understand what I was up against and how to begin... There is a lot of incredible information and insight from the great people who post here.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I know I am going to be home all by-myself I can go a night or two without drinking but if I am going to be hanging out with friends or my girlfriend I need at least 4 in me to have a good time.
Wow, this is so similar to my story in the beginning of my descent to hell with alcohol. At the beginning, I was a lot like you are describing right now. I could go a few nights of the week without binging myself to oblivion. Well guess what happened? I eventually (slowly over time) did this every single night and it was more than I ever did before. So my advice to you is to get yourself into an AA meeting and spare yourself the pain. AA is what works for me. I am now nearly 9 months sober and clean. It could work for you as well.