Notices
View Poll Results: Do only alcoholics experience CRAVINGS to drink?
yes
24.79%
no
51.24%
yes/no/maybe/i don't know--OTHER.
23.97%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Do Only Alcoholics Have *Cravings* to Drink?

Old 05-18-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Anyone else care to participate?

Thanks for the discussion.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think that you can crave it like you would crave a food you enjoy sometimes, just without the compulsive need to drink more and more. It wouldn't be the strong craving someone addicted experiences though.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
I don't know.. I crave a lot of things I'm not addicted to. Being an alcoholic, I don't know what it feels like for a non-alcoholic. I hear all the time "I need a drink!" and the person really does only have ONE drink. Sometimes I crave a food, or a book, or activity, but I don't know if it's 'craving' or just a want. I'm getting too hung up on the word I think LOL
A craving is something you can't really describe but you know it when you have one. I believe only alcoholics crave alcohol.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It depends - you hear the phrase "I need a DRINK" all the time. The key word in that phrase is "need". Normies often experience a craving for a drink, sure. But, if there's nothing in the wine cabinet, it's not the end of the world. An alcoholic in that situation would seek out alcohol at any cost, leave the house to find some, take drastic measures to obtain that drink.

Everyone has "cravings", but alcoholics experience these feelings on a higher level, with a much greater sense of urgency and intensity. I when I was in the throws of addiction, I needed alcohol like a dying man needs water. Constantly.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Grateful

From what I'm getting here the non-alcoholic may get a craving for drink. They have a drink and the craving goes away.

The alcoholic gets a craving for a drink. They have a drink and the cravings get worse so they keep drinking more drinks.

That's kind of the way I see it.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I had strong cravings when actively drinking and still experience them from time to time but have developed mechanisms for ignoring them. When I've said the word 'cravings' to some regular drinkers I know, they don't understand what I mean.
I think the fear of cravings is one of the main things that keeps me from drinking again on special occasions.
My sister, who keeps a very strong check on her drinking, also experiences cravings, and she is not an alcoholic. We both think she has the potential to be one though, given the right circumstances. The fact that she's aware of this is what keeps her drinking at very moderate levels, but she has to apply strong discipline, as opposed to a person who is just indifferent.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
From what I'm getting here the non-alcoholic may get a craving for drink. They have a drink and the craving goes away.

The alcoholic gets a craving for a drink. They have a drink and the cravings get worse so they keep drinking more drinks.

That's kind of the way I see it.
That is the way I see it too. Well more than I see it. That is the way it was for me.

The first was a craving for the drink then the continued craving for the drunk. If that makes any sense.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
zjw

I think anyone can crave it. But an alcoholic lacks the self control. But then again I know some that have binged and put it down like its nothing never having an issue. I know some who went years of drinking and put it down like it was no big deal. Are they alcoholics? I dunno. I guess not because in those cases it never ruled them. The ones I know like this had fun with it partied hard etc.. and moved on with there lives.

Then there are ones like me who didnt put it down but let it put me down each time i drank.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yea, I was told by someone in AA that the phenomenon of craving doesn't kick in until after the first drink (says in the BB). I don't agree with that. I had a strong desire to drink BEFORE I started drinking, so if that's not a craving, what is it?

I agree with above, once I drank the cravings continued. With a non-alcoholic, they are satisfied.

All people crave things
Old 05-19-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

A pre-occupations with getting the stuff, taking it getting stoned for a wile, and not getting noticed/hassled by the cops or by family, by friends. co workers. Getting more before the detox starts. Addiction is a lie.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Addiction is a lie
It's interpretation is "grey" these days.

Addiction is to be dependent.
Obsession is to become preoccupied.

To illustrate,
I was not dependent on alcohol, but preoccupied with thoughts, "I'll drink just enough this time".
Old 05-21-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yups ... Lots of yups.

I had a craving at 8pm tonight actually, but 3 months of no alcohol reminded me that a clear sober mind is better. Plus I like waking up now ... being able to remember what happened last night ... and no hangover. Pretty good reward ...
Old 05-22-2013, 11:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Well this is where I get confused. So much so that I decided I'm not going to write about it any more, but: yes I know people who say "I really need a glass of wine now!" and every time they go out they get pissed, not outrageously pissed, but still drunk all the same. Are they alcoholic? What about peeps that have to have a drink at the end of the working day, are they alcoholic? What about my friends who imbibe a glass or two every night, are they alcoholic? Perhaps the bar to alcoholism has risen, because in my upbringing people never, ever drank like people do today. In my house grown ups only ever drank at Christmas and parties. All this one must have wine with dinner b.......s never existed. Wine never really appeared in my life until I was well into my late teens. As for the public displays of drunkenness that my husband witnesses every Friday night in his job as London taxi driver, it is akin to Armageddon. We see wine everywhere, in the isles of supermarkets, just getting some chicken for dinner, ping! There's a Hugh pillar of wine in your face!!!!! Sorry to go on but you get what I mean x
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
I'll have to google some Silkworth and Jung (etc.). Thank you offering some support for your assertion.

Just one thing--the poll didn't actually ask if people crave to "drink alcohol until they dropped." My cravings, in fact, aren't to drink until I "drop"--they are to drink until I reach a nice level of ummm...saturation?...a level of drunkeness that does not include passing/blacking out (i have no cravings for those!). Although that did happen, it wasn't/isn't part of the craving. The craving was for the HIGH/the RELEASE--the temporary state of non-feeling.

I am curious if folks think non-problem drinkers experience the urges and cravings that we on SR experience. I just am not convinced that every person who CRAVES some drinks is an alcoholic. Shrugs. Makes for a good discussion maybe.
Ok, I understand now. Yes, I believe that non-alcoholics do crave/desire a drink. But, THEY CAN STOP. I CAN'T. That's the fundamental difference. I will drink to oblivion. In between I can & do things I would NEVER do sober. 99.9per cent of the time end up with disastrous results & regrets, remorse, guilt the following day. I think that's the difference you mean??????
Old 05-23-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillyknitting View Post
Well this is where I get confused. So much so that I decided I'm not going to write about it any more, but: yes I know people who say "I really need a glass of wine now!" and every time they go out they get pissed, not outrageously pissed, but still drunk all the same. Are they alcoholic? What about peeps that have to have a drink at the end of the working day, are they alcoholic? What about my friends who imbibe a glass or two every night, are they alcoholic? Perhaps the bar to alcoholism has risen, because in my upbringing people never, ever drank like people do today. In my house grown ups only ever drank at Christmas and parties. All this one must have wine with dinner b.......s never existed. Wine never really appeared in my life until I was well into my late teens. As for the public displays of drunkenness that my husband witnesses every Friday night in his job as London taxi driver, it is akin to Armageddon. We see wine everywhere, in the isles of supermarkets, just getting some chicken for dinner, ping! There's a Hugh pillar of wine in your face!!!!! Sorry to go on but you get what I mean x
I do not believe in the alcoholic phrase , I believe they are all just addicted but at different stages, some more addicted than others but all brainwashed and conditioned to think this drug enhances ones life.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I opted for yes, with the proviso that the urge may come months,even years, past sobriety and that can be a really big trap for the so called moderates.

Big Crash 14-1-13
Old 05-27-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm not an alcoholic. I'm on this site because my son is a recovering alcoholic and I follow the family forum . I also like to read what those who are alcoholics are posting because I it helps me to better understand my son't alcohol addiction better. I rarely drink, maybe a drink once every 4 months or one at the Christmas holidays. I'll occasionally have a beer if we are out having Mexican food. We don't even keep alcohol in the house because no one drinks it. But I can honestly say that there have been a few times when I literally craved a drink. Once after my daughter had gone through a very serious surgery I had my husband take me to a nearby bar because I had to have a drink. I don't know if it was the mind numbing effect i wanted or what, but I do know that I craved that beer. And I had several large ones. Not being an alcoholic, I don't know if my cravings were the same type , but I used to smoke and I know what nicotine cravings feel like. I felt the same way before those drinks. Interesting, because I'd never thought about it before. ...
Old 05-28-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Do I still think a drink would be nice now and then? Yes.
Is that a craving .... I don't know, may be.
The thought generally lasts for about 2 seconds.
Call it what you will.
Someone else said it, I think it depends on what definition of "craving" you're using.

I craved feeling good ..... or feeling nothing.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Craving, slip,indiscretion, thirst, sociability....................for me it turns into DIS EASE in the long run and thats what I'm trying to avoid.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I think all people sometimes crave what advertiser promise us. Whether its glam drinking a glass of wine or being fun at a party. Maybe they crave the taste too but its more the having fun and relaxing promise of alcohol for me. Which I finally understand is neither fun or relaxing!