Notices

Am I Insane Or Just A Alcoholic???

Old 05-06-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
That is probably correct. I suppose I am complaining too much but I have stayed sober all week since my slip.
Good. I'm really happy to see you post that. I know how hard it is to just stop. Short of going to the hospital and getting Ativan for a few days. Complain all you want. Just don't drink.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:38 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

That's how I was too and I'm still struggling but no your normal. I mean who is perfect enough to say standard for NORMAL? People don't always admit the things they've done but I used to be the exact same way. Your a decent person don't forget it, if not you wouldn't have even posted that; it just shows you WANT to change and that was my biggest step. I wish you the best
Old 05-07-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I too have mental health issues, combined with a large alcohol issue....I drink to hide from what I have to do, to "not do" what I think is right, and because of fear of the future I will eventually have to deal with...It's a non ending, "no outlet" kind of sign on the road, kind of existence of an extremely poor esteem situation because of not being able to overcome my biggest obstacle, Bipolar disease. It has impeded my growth as a human being for 30 years, so has drinking. And, basically, I am a "GOOD" person, willing to help anyone who is struggling with any issues, with alot of creativity, and a lot of love...

As of late, it feels that my positive, giving qualities have been taken advantage of...perhaps I am of an "old shool" that I was raised with values that are not valued anymore !

Any ideas or reactions ?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by raku View Post
I too have mental health issues, combined with a large alcohol issue....I drink to hide from what I have to do, to "not do" what I think is right, and because of fear of the future I will eventually have to deal with...It's a non ending, "no outlet" kind of sign on the road, kind of existence of an extremely poor esteem situation because of not being able to overcome my biggest obstacle, Bipolar disease. It has impeded my growth as a human being for 30 years, so has drinking. And, basically, I am a "GOOD" person, willing to help anyone who is struggling with any issues, with alot of creativity, and a lot of love...

As of late, it feels that my positive, giving qualities have been taken advantage of...perhaps I am of an "old shool" that I was raised with values that are not valued anymore !

Any ideas or reactions ?

i hd absolutley no self esteem when i got into recovery. thats when i had to start lokin in my mirror and tellin myself," tom, yer not a bad man, yer just sick. the good news is there is a solution and yer gonna put in the footwork to get weller."

helping others is a good thing. yes, those values are still valued. not by everyone. only the ones that truly want help.its nothng new. been happening forever. it could be yer just beginning to be aware of it.
one of the hardest words for me to learn to say is,"NO." theres aline where helping and enablign meet. i can still cross the line into enabling. i gotta check my motives. am i wanting to help someone so they can think better of me to help me feel better about myself? if so, that aint good.
helping people that want help is good. helping people that wont do anything for themselves doesnt help them or me. thats when "NO" comes into effect.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I think it's interesting that I was almost 1 year sober. So I was staying sober & working very hard at it. Probably harder than most recovering alcoholics. I was even running an AA meeting. Dealing with a real mental illness makes sobriety harder.
Why did you quit working your AA program ?

I had decades of psyche wards, group therapies, prescription drugs and uncontrollable drunkenness .. I committed to AA in 1989 and am alcohol/drug free since then.

It wasn't easy but it works, just like the oldtimers said it would.

I am going to my morning AA meeting shortly where I sit with many oldtimers who have been sober for 20-30-40 yrs and their stories are very similar to mine.

That's my story. You will have to discover for yourself what I found.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I'm beginning to think I am mentally incapable of being sober.
And yet you're mentally capable of coming up with these things.

I've been sober a few days again but believe I'm too insane to grasp long term sobriety.
Insanity is a legal term applied to a defendant unable to distinguish right from wrong when committing a crime. You obviously know right from wrong.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I have bi polar, I ened up in a psych ward for 32 days 1 yr 4 months ago. I was delusional, cutting, thought my son was the messiah, ran the halls naked, talked to TV's that were not there, thought the FBI was after me, was barking like a dog, thought the psych ward was a cruise ship and there were circus animals on every floor. Elephants on 8th floor by the way. lol

I can laugh about it now. After the psych ward I ended up in a nursing home paralyzed from deep depression. I slept 22 hours a day, I lost 80 lbs.was in a diaper and on a feeding tube. I was catatonic. Everyone thought I would be permanently institutionalized. I have had a full recovery. I am clean and sober and reasonably happy. Thank you Lord!

My point? There is hope, you can get clean and sober. If you have to get into a detox, Do it! Get the alcohol/drugs out of your system and give your meds a chance to work.

P.S. Sorry if I was harsh with you earlier. Whenever I see or read something close to home I get a little emotional cuz it's like looking at me and basically I wish someone would have shaken me and said Do anything besides what you are doing IT IS NOT WORKING!

God Bless Just1
Old 05-07-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
I have bi polar, I ened up in a psych ward for 32 days 1 yr 4 months ago.
oops closer to 1 yr 8 mo ago. Time flys when you are having good clean fun.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I have little sympathy for other people. I simply do not care about others pain.
When this changes, so will your life.

Take what little sympathy you have and build on it.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Yes, I want help but I always seem to get hit over the head with it. I get a lot of "tough talk" that really doesn't help. In fact, I'm already getting prepared to be homeless. Family members have issued a order & my next drunk I'm out the door. I've done it before & I figure that at least its Spring time. I stay completed intoxicated 24/7 when I'm homeless.
IMO that 'tough talk' is called honesty.
What exactly are you looking for here?
Sympathy never got anyone sober as far as I know. I think you are hearing from people who care enough about you to give you that tough talk.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I don't think I have ever helped someone for ulterior motives...I just helped because I had something to give...an extra thing I had at the time...be it financial, or an emotionally supportive thing to say, or (at a risk) of intelligently talking to another person, or walking away from someone who had nothing to offer back.

I think 'tough love" is not a valid way of living a life full of gratitude, or a way of changing your husband, your wife, or the people you love...Gratitude comes from within...no one can "tell" you to be grateful that you had a mother and a father who gave you life..it lies within.

Cindy
Old 05-14-2013, 02:49 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I'm beginning to think I am mentally incapable of being sober. I've been sober a few days again but believe I'm too insane to grasp long term sobriety. While under the influence, I am a common criminal. I really believe that treatment for me should focus on mental health now. Does anyone understand what I'm saying? I believe picking up a drink saved me from committing suicide on one occassion many years ago. I'm unemployable sober or drunk and a burden on people so why not be a "professional drunk"? I can successfully beg for enough change per day to drink. Why bother looking for a job? It isn't worth it. I'm comfortable being labeled a drunk & accept it.
NO SIR! Your just normal as anyone. It's the alcohol clouding your brain! I'm about to be admitted into the hospital TOMORROW and they are planning on putting me I'm a medical coma for at five days. Don't you EVER give up there's more help out there than you can realize for this. You stay strong and fight! You CAN AND WILL pull through this. I can't wait too see that you beat this!(you WILL AND CAN) beat this and I know you will