Notices

Am I Insane Or Just A Alcoholic???

Old 05-05-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Some crazy great advice in this thread.

You can make your bottom whatever you want.

But for me, it all comes back to step zero:

If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it, then you are ready to take certain steps.

Until you WANT sobriety and are willing to make it your number 1 priority there's not much any one can do. Try putting your head on a pillow tonight and ask for willingness to be willing.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Yes, I want help but I always seem to get hit over the head with it. I get a lot of "tough talk" that really doesn't help. In fact, I'm already getting prepared to be homeless. Family members have issued a order & my next drunk I'm out the door. I've done it before & I figure that at least its Spring time. I stay completed intoxicated 24/7 when I'm homeless.

ya say ya want to ger sober and wiling to do whatever it takes,right? i am willing to bet the babying ya method didnt work for crap, but the "tough talk" has stuck in yer head, so yer gonna have to grow up and take it. its gettin through to ya.
yer gonna have to stop screwin around and get into action.
i drank just about everyone out of my life and i dont blame them one bit for walkin away from me. the ones that didnt completely throw me out of their lives didnt trust me for a very long time. i dont blame them one bit. but i still think they were nuts for stickin around. why would anyone want to be around the drama, chaos, gloom, dispair, and misery?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Yes, I want help but I always seem to get hit over the head with it. I get a lot of "tough talk" that really doesn't help. In fact, I'm already getting prepared to be homeless. Family members have issued a order & my next drunk I'm out the door. I've done it before & I figure that at least its Spring time. I stay completed intoxicated 24/7 when I'm homeless.
How do you get money when you're homeless? Also spring time brings rain. Be prepared.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Not really !
Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
How do you get money when you're homeless? Also spring time brings rain. Be prepared.
I panhandle & am pretty good at it. We have 2 airports, bus/train routes, a huge downtown, beach, ect...I always say that if you can't figure out a way to get money for booze than alcoholism is not for you. It is not a good way to live. However, I feel that since I relapsed a week ago I let the monster out of it's cage.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

You know what Just? You've been given plenty of good advice, you know the deal and you've basically crapped on everyone who's gone out of their way to help. Bottom line is this: You want to drink? Drink. You know the consequences. but please, don't come here to just jerk peoples chains.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I think you might be afraid of succeeding at being sober and having a career.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by john44 View Post
You know what Just? You've been given plenty of good advice, you know the deal and you've basically crapped on everyone who's gone out of their way to help. Bottom line is this: You want to drink? Drink. You know the consequences. but please, don't come here to just jerk peoples chains.
Truth. There are plenty of people here who want and need support. Stop the run around.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JSDPhilly View Post
Truth. There are plenty of people here who want and need support. Stop the run around.
Born and bred Philly boy here too. We call 'em like we see 'em
Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
I think you might be afraid of succeeding at being sober and having a career.
That is probably correct. I suppose I am complaining too much but I have stayed sober all week since my slip.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Just...to panhandle well you must be resourceful and tenacious. You are both...so good news is you can also use both of those qualities to quit drinking for good.

If you really want to, that is.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I'm beginning to think I am mentally incapable of being sober. I've been sober a few days again but believe I'm too insane to grasp long term sobriety. While under the influence, I am a common criminal. I really believe that treatment for me should focus on mental health now. Does anyone understand what I'm saying? I believe picking up a drink saved me from committing suicide on one occassion many years ago. I'm unemployable sober or drunk and a burden on people so why not be a "professional drunk"? I can successfully beg for enough change per day to drink. Why bother looking for a job? It isn't worth it. I'm comfortable being labeled a drunk & accept it.
Justfor1, Why are you here? You don't want help, you don't want to take suggestions .These are your last 4 threads, You sound like someone who may be lonely and I understand that believe me I do alcoholism is a lonely illness. But Justfor1, there are Newcomers here that really are looking for help, this is a recovery forum. If you truly don't want help then like others have said you are really just wasting their time when they could be encouraging someone who really wants help. I know of a lot of forums if you are looking for company but for me personally I can't co-sign this behavior. Either you want help or you don't. I personally think this should be a forum of hope not how I can plan my next relapse. How is that helpful to anyone. Praying for you and hope you decide you really want help . And if y'all don't agree, fine by me.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...alcoholic.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ife-booze.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...11-months.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...head-time.html
Old 05-06-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Be very glad I got to SR in 2007 and not 2002.
Each of us has our journey, some are longer than others.

There's actually another side to the coin here, which I think a lot of us have been forgetting lately.

There's a personal responsibility each of us has.
To share our experience.

if you're getting wound up you might be trying to do more than that.

If you think a post breaks the rules - report it.

otherwise?

If you don't like the poster - use the ignore function.
If you don't like the thread - don't read it.

D
Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thanx Dee. I think it's interesting that I was almost 1 year sober. So I was staying sober & working very hard at it. Probably harder than most recovering alcoholics. I was even running an AA meeting. Dealing with a real mental illness makes sobriety harder.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Keep on keeping on JF1. The fact that you come here and post regularly says something in itself. keep at it, we are listening
Old 05-06-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Dealing with a real mental illness makes sobriety harder.
I would agree with this, but it's not impossible. You have done it before and you can do it again.

Do not give up.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I am willing to do whatever it takes. But I will only go to certain rehabs.

When I read that, to me it is a complete contradiction. You're willing, BUT. Is that how you are going to get better? Not to mention certain rehabs are very expensive. To me, that is putting up a huge wall and I ask myself how are things going to work if you put these huge obstacles and restrictions on your recovery?

Been reading your post for a long time now. You've come so far...don't let everything you've fought to put back together fall apart.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I would agree with this, but it's not impossible. You have done it before and you can do it again.

Do not give up.
nope. not imposssible. im another with mental illnessthat has recovered from the hopeless state of mind that made me drink. theres many more. all we had to do is follow in the footsteps of the ones that went before us who have what we want.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanx Dee. I think it's interesting that I was almost 1 year sober. So I was staying sober & working very hard at it. Probably harder than most recovering alcoholics. I was even running an AA meeting. Dealing with a real mental illness makes sobriety harder.
I think you need to do two things Just...one is deal with your mental stuff as well - I know that will take a while because of things that have happened in the past, but keep pushing for appointments. And maybe just have a little faith in your Drs, too

the second is to focus on you. You spend a great amount of energy on what that guy's doing or what they did there, or what she said....

The important person in recovery is you.
Focus on you.

My earlier remarks nonwithstanding, there's been some good advice here in this thread - I want to try and keep the thread open not only for you, but for others who may read too.

I really hope you read back and take it in, Just

D
Old 05-06-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Many alcoholics deal with mental health issues. Alcoholics have many obstacles to deal with. Most of us drink to escape. I have horrendous stories to tell and my life was difficult, but I can't blame that as an excuse to drink. I am responsible for my own happiness and sobriety. It takes a lot of hard work to stay sober. I can't say I worked harder than any other alcoholic, but I do know it was one of the hardest things I've ever worked at. Most things came easy to me, quitting didn't. But I've succeeded in staying sober for years. I make no excuses and I don't claim that I can't stay sober because my situation is different and harder than others. In a sense, not very cool. Those who are sober and stayed sober worked hard. Again, I feel a certain accountability needs to be recognized. I think this would be extremely helpful in helping you find firmer ground in sobriety.