Notices

Am I Insane Or Just A Alcoholic???

Old 05-04-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
You aren't insane .. or a drunk. You are an alcoholic just like me. And you need to commit to AA just like me.

All the best.

Bob R
There might be untreated mental health issues. Or mental illness. Committing to AA may not resolve that piece of it.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
There might be untreated mental health issues. Or mental illness. Committing to AA may not resolve that piece of it.
Sadly, I agree. I have little sympathy for other people. I simply do not care about others pain. I feel as if everyone blames me for being a alcoholic. Maybe I'm just a horrible human being & deserve this life?
Old 05-04-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I'm beginning to think I am mentally incapable of being sober. I've been sober a few days again but believe I'm too insane to grasp long term sobriety. While under the influence, I am a common criminal. I really believe that treatment for me should focus on mental health now. Does anyone understand what I'm saying? I believe picking up a drink saved me from committing suicide on one occassion many years ago. I'm unemployable sober or drunk and a burden on people so why not be a "professional drunk"? I can successfully beg for enough change per day to drink. Why bother looking for a job? It isn't worth it. I'm comfortable being labeled a drunk & accept it.

I was told by my psychiatrist that I could not be properly diagnosed of any mental health issue until I was off alcohol and drugs altogether for at least 6 months. When you gonna throw in the white towel? Meetings? You sound desperate but don't want to take suggestions. How bad do you want it? Do you want it? We can't do it for you. We can want it for you but we can't do it for you.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

deeker, I am willing to do whatever it takes. But I will only go to certain rehabs. No more "Salvation Army" for this alcoholic. I was sober nearly 1 year & still felt just as bad as ever. At least I could escape with booze.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

"Maybe I'm just a horrible human being & deserve this life? "
NO!!!! you dont deserve it! yer just a sick humn being.

how did the phone calls to betty ford, hazeldon,etc work out? if ya havent made em, time to stop screwin around. you say yer willing to go to any lengths, so getyer but in gear and make the calls.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just, what do you think these expensive rehabs are going to tell you that you don't already know?

If AA is your path then do it exactly as it is outlined in the first 164 pages of the Big Book. Give it time and if you can honestly say that you have given in your all and you can't stay sober then try a different method. But if you have mental health issues I'm afraid nothing is going to work until you get those addressed.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
how did the phone calls to betty ford, hazeldon,etc work out? if ya havent made em, time to stop screwin around. you say yer willing to go to any lengths, so getyer but in gear and make the calls.
But I do not have the funds. Maybe they will offer me a "charity case" deal? The funny part is that if I would of attended those places I may be sober today. I only drank "a few" days last week & it has taken a horrible toll.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

But I do not have the funds. Maybe they will offer me a "charity case" deal? The funny part is that if I would of attended those places I may be sober today. I only drank "a few" days last week & it has taken a horrible toll.
Doubtful. My son attended "one of those places". He relapsed less than a month home. Every single person in his family group relapsed, too.

Expensive rehabs aren't the answer. He didn't learn anything there, that he hasn't gotten in the meetings rooms of AA. In fact, he's had his best success ever connecting with and working with his sponsor. The single best thing according to him- the big book.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

AA meetings , put the plug in the jug, and get unstuck and go to a meeting. Time is a ticking.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

From what I have read you are just an alcoholic.

Full of selfishness,self centeredness, fear, anxiety, and self pity.

Constantly blaming everything and everyone for choices YOU make.

It is your fault you got those dui's. Not anyone else.

It is your fault you cannot stay sober. Not the low cost treatment center, or the bar, or your sponsors fault. Yours.

Maybe you have medical conditions. How can a doctor help if you can't stay sober?

The problem is you. Plain and simple.

All the solutions in the world cannot help until you accept that simple truth.

Good luck
Old 05-04-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
From what I have read you are just an alcoholic.

Full of selfishness,self centeredness, fear, anxiety, and self pity.

Constantly blaming everything and everyone for choices YOU make.

It is your fault you got those dui's. Not anyone else.

It is your fault you cannot stay sober. Not the low cost treatment center, or the bar, or your sponsors fault. Yours.

Maybe you have medical conditions. How can a doctor help if you can't stay sober?

The problem is you. Plain and simple.

All the solutions in the world cannot help until you accept that simple truth.

Good luck
Wow. That's pretty cold and harsh. Yet I agree. 100%.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
High on Life

I'm unemployable sober or drunk and a burden on people so why not be a "professional drunk"? I can successfully beg for enough change per day to drink. Why bother looking for a job? It isn't worth it. I'm comfortable being labeled a drunk & accept it.
This is where the problem lies. You truly believe these things, so therefore you believe sobriety is not possible. Believing is half the battle, I don't care what approach you choose. If you don't believe, it's not going to work. The problem is, you fail to see that success you had and continue to replay the same cycle over and over again. You need to stop analyzing this so much and just not drink no matter what. Stop drinking and then you won't get drunk.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=TheEnd;3951049]This is where the problem lies. You truly believe these things, so therefore you believe sobriety is not possible. Believing is half the battle, I don't care what approach you choose.

That is true. I struggle with the believe that I can stay sober. I think I enjoy the "alcoholic" label. I enjoy blaming others for my problems as well. I woke up today sober feeling a little better.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

That is true. I struggle with the believe that I can stay sober. I think I enjoy the "alcoholic" label. I enjoy blaming others for my problems as well. I woke up today sober feeling a little better.

One thing I can't fault you for is dishonesty, But do u want help. Cuz this is really a forum for recovery. People who want help? Do you want help? Are you willing to take suggestions? Is that why you are here?
Old 05-05-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Dude, when you find you are in a hole stop digging. I've said in other posts and I'll say again, you need to stop breeding negative energy. Many here successfully follow some form of religion which helps them to have strength.

What you are continually doing is Bad Karma. You need to concentrate on making an effort to improve and have an awareness to see things for what they are with clear consciousness.

Think positive and good energy hopefully will start to surround you. Don't carry such a black cloud in your Aura it is unhealthy beyond the drinking.

Turn it around JF1, don't travel that path.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Socially, alcoholism really messes with our heads - sobriety and the life that comes with it are often so overwhelming it leads to depression. I don't know about Karma, but I do know that action begets action and things will turn positive if you begin to reach out. Not just here, but to new faces. Smile at a stranger in the street. Before you started drinking, think back to that person. Who was that? Maybe try to get in touch with that side, it's been lost and buried for a long time but worth revisiting in order to re-examine who you are.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
One thing I can't fault you for is dishonesty, But do u want help. Cuz this is really a forum for recovery. People who want help? Do you want help? Are you willing to take suggestions? Is that why you are here?
Yes, I want help but I always seem to get hit over the head with it. I get a lot of "tough talk" that really doesn't help. In fact, I'm already getting prepared to be homeless. Family members have issued a order & my next drunk I'm out the door. I've done it before & I figure that at least its Spring time. I stay completed intoxicated 24/7 when I'm homeless.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

One thing I can't fault you for, is your honesty....I think that is a very good start....where you are, and how you feel about that, is honesty. I am pretty sure you do not want to be with-out a home....so why not work on that issue ? And how to get "not there ?" You have my support in your honesty and earnestness .

Cindy
Old 05-05-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hhhmmmmm.....I've heard it said that doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is one form of insanity.
I also believe that fear, self-pity and lying to oneself are all forms of mental problems. I am guilty of them all...and sometimes in Sobriety too. I've only been able to tackle my problems with Spiritual solutions....that's been my experience. Being a part of a Fellowship and trying to help another Drunk really eases my pain.
Hang in there!...don't quit before the miracle happens.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Yes, I want help but I always seem to get hit over the head with it. I get a lot of "tough talk" that really doesn't help. In fact, I'm already getting prepared to be homeless. Family members have issued a order & my next drunk I'm out the door. I've done it before & I figure that at least its Spring time. I stay completed intoxicated 24/7 when I'm homeless.
Like others said, at least you're honest about how you feel. It sounds like you still haven't hit bottom yet. For each person, the bottom is different. When you get there, you'll be ready for all of this.