Notices

Finally free of Alcoholism!!!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally free of Alcoholism!!!!!

Well well well, it has been a long time since I have posted here; a little over a year ago to be exact! For those of you who don't know or remember me, I used to post some really deep threads about my daily struggle, and I must admit those who replied were very kind and helpful! I don't really know what to say, but I think I would like to start off by saying thanks. I've visited many forums in my life and none of them have made me feel welcome and good like this one has. Thank you all for your time and understanding! =)

So what have I done since I stopped posting? Well around February of 2012, I gave into my other addiction, the addiction I've had even longer than my love of alcohol: FITNESS. I got back in the gym, and just like it did when I was in my teens, it became my anti-drug. I would still drink on weekends, however within a few months I was able to curb my drinking to only once a week. Working out has kept me focused, and given me purpose.

Nowadays, in May of 2013, I only drink once every few weeks. I feel I can control it now, however I do not go out to bars and clubs like I used to. I will admit, when confronted with alcohol and when I do actually drink (which, as stated, is relatively rare), I am not totally sure I can control it. Fortunately, I am not ever tempted to drink anymore, and I never drink alone as I used to do.

So I just wanted to check in with you all and say thanks. Maybe some of you will remember me - but for those who don't - it's nice to meet you.

Cheers.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Good to hear you are doing well man!

Stu.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found a solution that is working for you.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

BACK!!! Keep up what is working for you!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OMG! What a superb idea that can give us alcoholics, control because it "works" for someone. Many times when some of us first came to AA we figured ways to control the outcome of our drinking, but the results were just a repeat of the past and worse. Good on ya, I just won't try it as it's insanity for me. BE WELL
Old 05-03-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by visch1 View Post
OMG! What a superb idea that can give us alcoholics, control because it "works" for someone. Many times when some of us first came to AA we figured ways to control the outcome of our drinking, but the results were just a repeat of the past and worse. Good on ya, I just won't try it as it's insanity for me. BE WELL
Agreed.

I'm happy that tyler found something that's working, but for 99.9% of people that I've known who drank alcoholically (I'd say 100% if not for this post), drinking from time to time always inevitably landed them in trouble again. Abstinence is the only way to remain alcohol free.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I could do this too...but I don't think for long...best just to workout and not drink..(for me)
Old 05-03-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am not here to pronounce anyone alcoholic or not, but as far as I know, Science has yet to discover a way to turn an alcoholic into a normal drinker.

I am happy for anyone whose life and health has improved, but IMO this thread might encourage an alcoholic to continue to try to control their drinking rather than quit all together. Again, just my opinion.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Glad you're doing well! I've always loved your "name"
Old 05-03-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

It's always refreshing to hear these kind of testimonials. Congratulations on losing the addiction to alcohol. I've started a morning exercise that I hope to keep up with. It boosts energy right away! That combined with juicing is really helping me to get my energy back!

Blessings,

Abby
Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

Tyler. I remember, glad to hear you are doing well.

I am in my 50's. Looking back i can see the evolution what in the end nearly ruined me. It was always there growing, condolidating- despite which in many pther respects life was going well. Often times i had a passion that took precedence and kept things at bay.

Be careful, if it had you once it acn have you again.

For me, i am glad to be free of it and not have it as part of my life.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Wow, that is awesome to here. Maybe I could hit the gym 5X a week and drink once every six weeks? Of course, I would drink 36+ beers that day.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by visch1 View Post

You sound bitter and helpless. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post

I did not much care for the tone in the response you got either. But, you must understand, that the vast, vast majority of us here are alcoholics who CAN NEVER drink again. Many are going to be skeptical that you will be able to keep this up forever, especially when so many of us thought we could, did for a while, only to end up back in a dark, horrible place.
Honestly, if this works for you, that is great. I am still in mourning for alcohol so I envy anyone that can do what you are doing. Just, be careful is all.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think it's just concern for others who might read this. Drinking from time to time is not generally considered being cured from alcoholism.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

In my opinion you never "lose" an addiction anymore than you lose having brown eyes.

If you're able to drink in moderation than you were never an addict in the first place.

Maybe just lacking in self discipline.

If you're truly an addict, and you're trying moderation, you'll be back when the addiction kicks in again.

Till then
Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tyler

I remember you and your story well.
I'm glad you're doing better.

I hope you don't mind if I put on record I don't recommend this for others though - I am glad it's working for you so far - it worked for me too...for a while.

I hope you have better results than I did.

Keep us updated. I'd genuinely like to hear if this programme has 'legs' for you.

D
Old 05-03-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sounds like it is a lot of effort to try to make sure you don't get out of control. Avoiding go out to places to drink , avoiding drinking alone, working out addictively. All that for a drink or two. Hardly seems worth it, why not just quit altogether.

I am glad I got off the mousewheel all together. Still sounds like a mental merry go round to me. Should I? , can I?, Am I safe here drinking? ,Will I be outta a control?...............
Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats Tyler;

Focus on other things that make you happy, then you don' have to drink! Today I ended up getting out of the hospital for the 6th time for atrial fibrillation.I have decided this is the last time. Years of exercise brought me much more pleasure than any alcohol!
Phil
Old 05-03-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you ......