Notices

Am I an Alcoholic?

Old 05-02-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
You blackout from 2 glasses of wine? I never heard of such a thing. Are you being honest about the exact amount you're drinking?
I have, yes. Yes, I'm being honest and understand that a glass of wine is a 6oz pour.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SalsaLover View Post
I have, yes. Yes, I'm being honest and understand that a glass of wine is a 6oz pour.
What did your doctor say about drinking and your liver condition? He must of mentioned something
Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
What did your doctor say about drinking and your liver condition? He must of mentioned something
When I went to the ER in 2009, I don't really remember much of what they said. My doctor and I haven't really discussed it outside of certain medications to avoid that contain Tylenol.
I'm headed out in a few minutes to go to my appointment and I'll be able to get all my questions answered then!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

DISCLAIMER : I'm not a doctor, so there is a huge "as far as I know" here.

I think your liver problems could be causing your abnormal reaction to alcohol.

Two glasses of wine contain 30-40ml of alcohol. Your body contains 5-6L of blood. If all that alcohol was absorbed into the bloodstream, it would cause a BAC of ~.5%, well into blackout territory...

However, most of the alcohol you ingest is broken down by the liver and doesn't affect you. However, if your liver isn't processing it properly, you would get much drunker than most people would because you would get more alcohol than most people would.

So... talk to your doctor.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My doctor doesn't think I'm an alcoholic.
Instead he said I may be hypoglycemic and my liver is definitely not detoxifying chemicals that enter my body properly.
I've heard of people with liver disease or diabetes having these issues, but I have neither. Although hypogylcemia is a precursor to diabetes..

Thank you to all who replied, this thread helped me raise many more questions for my doctor!
For now, I'm going to take the medicine and vitamins given to me and avoid alcohol like I have been lately. I'll be sure to post more information as soon as I go in for a follow up visit in a few weeks.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If I took ambien one time, and woke up not knowing what had happened to me, lost a few hours of time, I'd never take it again.

Lots of people live without any alcohol in their lives. It's not unheard of, and it sounds like what your liver is asking you to do. If you have problems processing toxins, including alcohol, through your liver, don't drink. If you like getting altered & feel you have no addiction problems, there are other ways to get high. Running and weed come to mind...
Old 05-02-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Like others have said, only you can really decide if you are an alcoholic. Having said that, you definitely don't sound like one to me. I think the issue with your liver could very possibly be contributing to your weird reactions to alcohol. Sounds like it does not agree with your system at all.
But, only a doctor can say for sure.