Notices

messed up

Old 04-28-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

messed up

was on the start of day 4 and messed up and drank.... Failure, I guess... Is there any hope to beat this demon?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You need a new plan. Yours is not working. Maybe go back and look at the suggestions you got in your previous posts and try the one's you didn't like or didn't think applied to you.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In the words of the great Nancy Reagan "Just Say No"

Of course way easier said then done and I couldn't figure these three words out for forever and a day either. True though that once I made a firm decision to simply say no to myself and others it got easier. After a few weeks, the impulses started to lessen and now I almost don't get any impulses.

You just have to gut out those first few weeks and it will start to get easier.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You need a new plan. Yours is not working. Maybe go back and look at the suggestions you got in your previous posts and try the one's you didn't like or didn't think applied to you.
Yup. What made you take that drink today?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I will say that I was no better than you. I'm sure I half-heartedly "tried" to cut down or stop for a few days, but I gave into the cravings almost immediately. I didn't even quit after my first seizure, which I had in front of my family on xmas. Or the 2nd, when I almost bit my tongue out. Or the third, when I had a seizure in a hotel on a small island and almost died in front of strangers, alone in a hotel lobby. Nope, it took me 4 seizures and a near death experience, losing all my worldly possessions, my job, my girlfriend, and my sanity before I locked myself in detox and treatment.

So if you want to follow my regimen, good luck! After all, it worked for me! I wish you all the luck in the world with that, as long as you survive all the seizures and don't kill yourself beforehand.

Otherwise maybe try a new approach. Your call.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missinglife View Post
was on the start of day 4 and messed up and drank.... Failure, I guess... Is there any hope to beat this demon?
The only thing I've found that got me sober and keeps me sober is AA. I had to commit to it and it's worked for over 23 yrs.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-28-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

It took me having had enough failed attempts to quit drinking before I finally was desperate enough to go to any lengths to stop drinking which wound up being working the program of AA. Before then I tried many other ways to stop or regulate my drinking with varied success of time sober but each time the result was always the same, I would eventually give in and pick up that first drink which would set me back on the same course of out of control drinking that I was on before I had stopped. It has been 12 years since I walked in the doors of AA and I have not had the obsession to drink return.

Maybe if you have not tried a formal program of recovery it might be time to give one a go. There are many out there. A good list is at the top of this forum in the stickies http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html I would suggest picking one and giving it a try. If you find it is not one that works for you after giving it an honest try then try another one until you find one that works for you.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all...

bigsombrero, I have been beating myself trying to figure out why? Best I can come up with is self pity... I know there should be no excuses to drink, but like usual I thought I could have a few to dull the pain... But of course that didnt work and I ended up walking to the gas station and buying more....
Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

don't give up, drinking put me in the hospital 4 times!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It was ridiculous how long I put off accepting I was an alcoholic (even though I knew I was drinking too much), how long I struggled to control my drinking. When I did accept I couldn't drink normally, I took drinking off the table. After that, any excuse to drink was just that, an excuse. An excuse my addiction was trying to use to get me to drink.

But with alcohol removed as an option, I was able to stand firm. It was hard, but I knew the decision I made to quit was the sane one...any decision to drink was insanity.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living one day at a time

running a program helps....when I wake in the morning I do the first 3 steps...I can't , he can, so let him...after I do this I pray meditate and always stay in the moment...I dont believe relapse happens at the moment it starts way before you pick up that drink...pick yourself up read the big book and call your sponser then go to a meeting!!

Good luck