Notices

8am and drinking!

Old 04-28-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8am and drinking!

trying to quit!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What sort of things are you doing to try and quit?

Drinking in the morning is a real slippery slope. I started drinking vodka in the morning every day, and it quickly spiraled out of control and I had some really terrible health problems. For me those were my darkest days. The main problem with early drinking is that you basically aren't allowing yourself ANY 'moments of clarity' because you're bombed right off the bat. I hope you can start making progress!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

NEVER quit trying. It didn't work today. Try tomorrow. What are you drinking? Beer or harder stuff?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Whiskey!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How about you stop, go back to bed, sober up and give yourself a second chance on this Sunday morning? Speaking from experience this kind of habit will not end well.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by casavpa View Post
trying to quit!
hmm...trying would be the operative word here.

Make a plan after you sober up, presumably tomorrow and then stick with it. No sense in worrying about it when you are half in the hole.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The idea is a negative one to some but AA got me and millions others sober IF we really want to for the long haul. Fortunately we have choices and some just won't stop until looking up at the grass roots. My first requirement was to get honest with myself and then remember the pain. BE WELL
Old 04-28-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds familiar, The weekends were especially easy to let myself start drinking early in the day, it just felt ok. Then, by early evening I was an idiot and not very fun to be around. It always ended in a blackout and a regretfull next day. I believed that my "auto pilot" wouldn't let me down...it always did and I did stupid stuff. My relationships were starined or severed with alot of people, that woke me up, now I don't trust my auto pilot cuz it never allows me to fly straight. When I'm not in control of my actions due to alcohol, bad things occur.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As bigsombrero said, Back to bed!

How long have you been drinking in the morning? It really is the fast lane to some humiliating and/or dangerous ****.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been drinking in the morning sine my Mom died.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I just relapsed. The first day I opened up the bar at 7AM. I loved starting to drink in the morning because then I knew I had all day long to guzzle booze. The problem is I get out of control & by 6pm I'm usually causing problems.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry for the typo. Have no friends. struggling with depression!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
All is Change

walk barefoot in the grass in the morning
Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi casavpa, I've been down the same road. Depressed and drinking first thing in the morning. I made a decision to stop no matter what it took. I can tell you life is so much better without alcohol.

I'm glad to see you're reaching out for help. Maybe put the alcohol down and get some rest as the others have suggested. You know what this day will turn into if you continue.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
oak

I used to drink first thing in the morning (just to make sure I got alcohol that day, not to get rid of a hangover or withdrawal). And I often drank to try to suppress emotions- even though drinking actually made me feel terrible emotionally.

I am sorry your mom died. I was so sad when my dad passed. Support groups and therapy have been very useful to me.

You can stop drinking. You just need the right motivation. It was helpful for me to think about why I wanted sobriety- what was I missing, how was alcohol helping to isolate me and keep me from doing things that I wanted to do.

Self-help groups might help. I found this page very helpful and tried every group that I could find. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I hope you find what works for you.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

8am and drinking!

Originally Posted by casavpa View Post
trying to quit!
At 8:00 am this morning I was having a coffee with my wife and getting ready to go to the Sunday morning AA meeting. I've done that every morning for almost 24 yrs..... I think it's working.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-28-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have been drinking in the morning sine my Mom died.

i'm very sorry for your loss, but how is drinking helping at all? consider for a moment how disrespectful it is to your mother's memory for you to use her passing as an excuse to drink. cuz that's all it is, an excuse.

get some help with your grief and get some help with your drinking.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
High on Life

When I started drinking in the morning, it was all down hill from there.

I ran 15 miles at 8 am this morning. There really are better ways to cope with depression. Exercise can be one of the best ways!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're struggling, losing a parent is tough. How long has it been? If you're drinking in the morning, passing out and then drinking thru the day and night you are headed for trouble. The good news is that you can stop now. If you're drinking all day you should have a medical detox, it is a lot easier that way too. If you're not ready to commit for a lifetime right now, how about 30 days?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

I didn't start drinking that early but do smthg different. Take a walk, read bk, go to as many aa meetings as you can in a day. Whatever it takes to distract you, do it