Notices

How to curb that desire??

Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question How to curb that desire??

On day 10. Been strong and still devoted in my change but DAMN I got the worst desire to have drinks.
I've kept very busy and still very busy getting things done at home but UGHHH, I just keep thinking about a cocktail.

What do you do to curb that desired feeling until it passes? Open to ideas.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I think of alcohol as a poison, and I cannot poison myself anymore.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I cannot for the life of me remember which poster it was that said this, but I remember quite a while ago someone on here said something that sometimes, tho not always, helped make a drink sound less appealing.
He or she said (and it is kind of gross but that is kind of the point) that when they were in a social situation where lots of people were drinking, they imagined the drinks in the glasses to be warm urine.
Like I said, kinda gross, but makes the idea a bit less desirable,lol.
If anyone would like to take credit for this little gem, feel free.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I faced my desires for drinking for what they were: a way to escape from myself and my responsibilities of living without alcohol. As I came to a better understanding of my sober self, I feared my desires less and less, which is different then simply being braver and braver.

My totally not wanting once again to be lost in my alcoholic drinking really helped me orientate myself and allow me time to accept my addiction ambivalence as a required hardship. Looking back, I can clearly see how compromised my ability to think clearly while still drinking had left me undone when I finally quit.

The ambivalence didn't last forever though, and I progressed through my early trials and struggles without drinking again. Eventually, not drinking became my "new normal" and brought to an end my earlier addiction challenges and desires.

You can manage any addiction desire. You can successfully not ever drink again. You can live without alcohol.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Try a hypoglycemic diet. Eat 4 or 5 meals a day of whole grain carbs, lean protein and fresh fruits and veggies. It seemed to help me last time. Also, you also go for a quick endorphin fix.... Something like a quick jog or doing some pushups or jumping rope. Our bodies get out of whack and some of that craving is from our body's chemistry re adjusting. I've heard meditation can also help... Hope this helps
Old 04-27-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Recoil away from the drink as if it's a hot flame.

Another example, I went through with a friend, had to go to a b/day party and there was a "fear" of going there due to booze being available.
We done some soul search and looked up some AA literature on "fear"
Then we found a suggestion, went something like,
"not to fear going to a place where there is alcohol, but fear taking the alcohol"

The moral is, it's all about learning to live sober and going to places we sometimes cannot avoid, such as family, work related etc etc.

Thing is, we cannot expect the rest of the world to put away the alcohol just because ex problem drinkers arrived.

It takes time to "get" this.

last week I went to a Sunday dinner roast. There was beer and whatever else others were drinking. It never occurred to me to drink, I stuck to the nice lamb roast, vegies, light conversation and left.

I could see the effects alcohol was starting to have on others, I make no "noise" about it. Then it was time to leave.
Thanked everyone for the invite, and gee I felt great I left sober and felt just don't have to deal with anymore.

Same principle, I had no fear going to dinner, but silently I feared drinking.
Not easy, but it can happen.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Just as I posted on another person's page saying the same thing...you haven't done step 1 & raised the white flag...as soon as you surrender, the thot goes away gradually.
Go to as many mtgs as you can in a day, work the steps & get a good sponsor & network around you
Best wishes
Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If i use against my will, than my will has failed and i now need gods will.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

I am fortunate to be among the ones who have had this awesome transformation in my life. When I entered the doors of A.A., alone and desperate, I had been beaten into willingness to believe anything I heard. One of the things I heard was, "This could be your last hangover, or you can keep going round and round." The man who said this obviously was a whole lot better off than I. I liked the idea of admitting defeat and I have been free ever since! My heart heard what my mind never could: "Being powerless over alcohol is no big deal." I'm free and I'm grateful!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have completed step one. But just because of that it doesn't end the triggers of wanting. I was asking what people do to get past the temptation/desire when on edge. I'm not going to drink but as an alcoholic the urge hits.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Work step.2, came to believe that a part greater than your self can restore you to sanity. Believr that god can remove the obssesion to use, pray and meditate every morning and night. Have faith that the steps are going to work.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
now's the time

Not all urges are alike. Learning to dig down into the feeling and figure out where it's coming from can help.

Sometimes I want a drink because I'm feeling something that I don't like and I want it to go away. After a couple months I can get through that easily because a) I've learned that it really doesn't take that long to pass, and b) I feel like I understand time better now and I can fully wrap my head around the idea that in a few hours, it's all going to be back, but with some extra shame on top. So I just put my head down and get through it. It's always easier sober.

Sometimes I'm just wound up and want a drink to relax. That's also getting easy. I've found that doing yoga calms me down far more effectively than a drink. Or a bike ride, if it's nice out.

Sometimes I'm just sick of being in my head so I watch a movie or read a book.

Sometimes I'm bored so I force myself to go out and walk around even if I don't feel like it.

And sometimes I don't know what the **** it's about so I just get on SR and read and post until it passes.

It gets easier, then harder again, then easier, but I feel like I'm learning more about my need to drink and I'm sure you will too with each urge you get through. Chin up, you're doing great!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me running, swimming, walking, reading, cleaning or ringing a friend or family member for a chat helps or having a nap. Also going for a long drive in the car(not on a route via a shop though). They all help because they distract my thoughts, work out the nervous energy and calm me down-also camomile tea :-). I`m all for practicality!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Grind it out . You are gaining something great and losing absolutely nothing. May not feel this way because the poisoned addicted mind is screaming for its drugs . You gotta push through the early days/ weeks , good things await.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's such a pain in the ass in the beginning. I remember so well. I never drank more Gatorade, ate more candy, and chewed more gum ever in my life, lol. It was awful. I would have "hangovers" from it all. I don't ever want to go through the initial weeks ever again. But I can tell you for sure that you will eventually feel a new type of high that is much more persistent and will curb your desire to drink. This high I am describing is the result of me getting plugged into the program of Alcoholics Anonymous and working its 12 steps every day.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
instant

Embrace sobriety and hang on for dear life. The physical urges go away in time.

I read the big book it helped. I read about "urge surfing" it helped. I read about AVRT it helped. I listened to the old timers on SR., and focused on what was working not what wasn,t.

Freedom is possible if you hang on.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I think that fear is our biggest motivating drive. Early in sobriety, the fear of drinking and the fear of the urges and craving are inevitably tied together until we add some new sober experiences, like Pete55 said. After a few of those under our belts, the fear of drinking gets a little less acute, but dreading those urges is still a real feeling.

It helped me to understand that this comes with the territory, there is no way around it, and it is the most positive proof that I am doing the right thing for a change. An unmet urge to drink is, after all, what must happen when this addiction to alcohol is being broken.

It also helped me to learn that this thought to go and get drunk again is nothing more than that. It is a thought. It has no power to make me do anything. Once I decided to never drink again, I stopped being afraid of this powerless thought. I have the power to decide to drink or not, and I have decided. I am just not drinking again. Ever. That question has been asked and answered. I am done.

Thoughts? Phhhhhhhhhhht. They come and go, but I remain here. I remain sober and full of confidence in my ability to stay that way, and enjoying the measure of peace, beauty and joy that is my due.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jean77 View Post
I have completed step one. But just because of that it doesn't end the triggers of wanting. I was asking what people do to get past the temptation/desire when on edge. I'm not going to drink but as an alcoholic the urge hits.
Attending meetings regularly and helping others get me through those times. Praying and reading AA literature works well too. Action related to recovery

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-28-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you doing now Jean?

D
Old 04-28-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Doing fabulous. Beat the urge got up early and got so much done today. Feel great, thanks for asking.