Notices

How to curb that desire??

Old 04-29-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
greenturtle

Jean - Thanks for bringing this issue up. I just got 6 weeks under my belt and although I've been fine with not drinking for most of it this weekend was absolutely horrendus. It started out with me going to a work happy hour and just being pissed and miserable afterwards. Like all the horrible crap I've done in the past was completely forgotten and all I wanted to do was wallow in self-pity that poor me couldn't drink again. I actually went and rented that movie Flight because I heard it was about addicition and I thought it might make me remember why I don't want to drink and it did work. I also think I need to start attending meetings...I feel sobriety slipping if I don't draw on my reinforcements.

This may sound weird, but I go to sleep when the urge hits. I know that if I sleep then the urge will go away and I'll wake up the next day happy that I have a clear head.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Jean I would just go eat something. We all know eating and drinking dont go together. Just eat. Ur body will thank you and ur brain will be satisfied. For me at least that helped early on.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

One of my favorite passages in the BB is on page 84, at Step 10.

Step 3 says, "restore to sanity".

At first I thought this will happen just by reading the steps!
But what I found after being taken through the steps, my sanity was actually restored by the time I reached Step 10!
I went through some dummy spits during that process, but would not pick up a drink, I couldn't because I had come this far and to pick up I will be back where I started, and probably not here to write about this experience.

The reason is ( the dummy spits) because between steps 4-9 is about cleaning house and getting right with the world, etc etc.
I really did feel contentment and understood more of what Step 3 really means.
The bit I like to remind myself constantly and the part where I watch a sponsee's reaction for a "wow" thing is here;

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned.
( 1st edition )
It is a amazing revelation
Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober starting May 19, 2013

I've been forcing myself to exercise when the urge hits. It's worked--so far. But the weekend is coming up quickly. Yikes!

I find that I can do unpleasant chores around the house much easier if I'm lit up. My wife never suspects I'm bagged because I can feign sobriety so well (decades of practice ). We have a whole mess of things to do this weekend and I know the urge is going to be STRONG. Not looking forward to it at all.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=
I find that I can do unpleasant chores around the house much easier if I'm lit up. My wife never suspects I'm bagged because I can feign sobriety so well (decades of practice ). We have a whole mess of things to do this weekend and I know the urge is going to be STRONG. Not looking forward to it at all.[/QUOTE]

Sounds just me. I was always getting lit (well practiced too) during the weekends while getting chores done. Got to the point where I was doing it during the weekdays too (work from home). I'm on week 2 and feel amazing. Last weekend was tough for sure but fought thru the urge and the feeling of accomplishment after getting things done was such a reward. I might of been alittle pissy but I wasn't drunk.

When you have that urge fight, fight, fight - you can do it!! Don't let your racing thoughts confuse you into thinking you have to drink. You might get edgy and pissy but it will be better than being a drunk which brings on the depression, embarrassment, etc, etc. I could go on forever but we all know them. Stay stong and make good choices even when it sucks.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober starting May 19, 2013

Thanks Jean!

I already received my marching orders for this weekend...a lot of sorting through old crap. That's the most evil chore for me, so the test will be especially difficult.