Notices

Losing my Mind

Old 04-26-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Losing my Mind

I just wanted to introduce myself here and let you guys know my story and hopefully someone can ease some of this anxiety that I have been feeling.

My name is Caleb, and I'm a Firefighter. I used to be in the USAF and while I was in, I drank every other day, around the equivalent or 10 or so beers when I did. When I got out 2 years ago, I cut back A lot, only to drink with friends, but from time to time i would start picking it up again.

I am terrified, mostly because I have a medical background. About 6 months ago i realized my ear started ringing and it hasn't stopped. Currently I drink about once a week and I try my best to keep the amount down. Other things that I notice once I stop is that im abnormally sweaty. My anxiety is terrible, and it has led to a pretty significant case of hypochondria, where I have convinced myself that I have caused irreversible liver damage. I'm 28, and I really hope that isn't the case.

A few more things that I noticed is that I have little floaters when i look at a solid color, tons of them. My legs have been aching for awhile, which my brain likes to relate to pedal edema. I like to comfort myself with the fact that I haven't seen any signs of Jaundice or rashes/ spider lines.

Once the fear set in, it was very easy to quit, i haven't had a drink in over a week and I don't need one. I just hope its not too late.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. It's never too late and at 28 you're getting a huge jump on the sobriety run here. I'm 10 years older than you and just got on the train last summer. The progress has been amazing.

I also had terrible anxiety - so bad I had to quit my job of 10 years. I also had terrible night sweats, shakes, internal problems, skin issues, everything. I felt like I had the body of a 50-year old. I can tell you that in my experience, my health issues gradually went away. My skin cleared up, my bowel function returned to normal, my joints and vision felt better, I'm not anxious or nervous anymore and I lost almost 30lbs - everything is looking up.

You're not losing your mind. You're probably going through a bit of PAWS, and have natural nervousness just going through the whole thing. Do you have anyone in your life who is giving you personal support? Do your friends/family know about your quest for a healthy life? Props to you for reaching out and introducing yourself. I think you are off to a great start and doing all the right things.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CalebHolliday View Post
I just wanted to introduce myself here and let you guys know my story and hopefully someone can ease some of this anxiety that I have been feeling.

My name is Caleb, and I'm a Firefighter. I used to be in the USAF and while I was in, I drank every other day, around the equivalent or 10 or so beers when I did. When I got out 2 years ago, I cut back A lot, only to drink with friends, but from time to time i would start picking it up again.

I am terrified, mostly because I have a medical background. About 6 months ago i realized my ear started ringing and it hasn't stopped. Currently I drink about once a week and I try my best to keep the amount down. Other things that I notice once I stop is that im abnormally sweaty. My anxiety is terrible, and it has led to a pretty significant case of hypochondria, where I have convinced myself that I have caused irreversible liver damage. I'm 28, and I really hope that isn't the case.

A few more things that I noticed is that I have little floaters when i look at a solid color, tons of them. My legs have been aching for awhile, which my brain likes to relate to pedal edema. I like to comfort myself with the fact that I haven't seen any signs of Jaundice or rashes/ spider lines.

Once the fear set in, it was very easy to quit, i haven't had a drink in over a week and I don't need one. I just hope its not too late.
Suggest you see your doctor or, if not happy, an alternate one.
Some tests would re assure you re liver disease.
Your symptoms might relate to something quite simple.
Good luck and keep your chin up!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick response there, It helped me a little with the anxiety. I also get plenty of exercise every day which cut down on the feelings a lot. I have some lorazepam if I get too panicky.

It just seems odd to me that 6 years of drinking so much didnt kill me. Hope this clears up.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
now's the time

I have a touch of hypochondria too... go to your doctor, really. I'd convinced myself I had some kind of liver damage. Turned out it was a stomach irritation. I'm glad I went!
Old 04-27-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. There was a saying in AA that if you thought there is a problem there probably is one. For you what is the worst problem that can happen if you just don't drink anymore? A suggestion is to look at all the suffering on these pages with people trying to quit. A large % just don't make it. BE WELL