Notices

Day 3 first test

Old 04-24-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 first test

I kind of figured it was coming. I had a friend of mine coming into help me work on some equipment at the golf course. We've been buddies/drinking buddies for some time now. Well we were at it and had to replace a bunch of bearings on a piece of equipment. He says well this looks like a beer or two job to me. Goes and grabs one for him and (naturally one for me). Hands it to me and i set it on work bench and keep working. He goes out and grabs anothe one and says "you ready? as he looks at my unopened beer. He had a perplexed look on his face and said ummm you gonna drink that thing today or what? Nah I'm going to pass trying to hold off unitll 5 ocklock at least. He shook his head and went to get himself another. I knew this was coming when I asked him to give me a hand today. We usually do stuff together which leads to drinking together while we do it. It was kind of a weird moment.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

...but you didn't cave, muskrats. That's something to be proud of. Those early days are so tough - all sorts of hurdles to get over! You're growing stronger every day, though.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by muskrats21 View Post
I kind of figured it was coming. I had a friend of mine coming into help me work on some equipment at the golf course. We've been buddies/drinking buddies for some time now. Well we were at it and had to replace a bunch of bearings on a piece of equipment. He says well this looks like a beer or two job to me. Goes and grabs one for him and (naturally one for me). Hands it to me and i set it on work bench and keep working. He goes out and grabs anothe one and says "you ready? as he looks at my unopened beer. He had a perplexed look on his face and said ummm you gonna drink that thing today or what? Nah I'm going to pass trying to hold off unitll 5 ocklock at least. He shook his head and went to get himself another. I knew this was coming when I asked him to give me a hand today. We usually do stuff together which leads to drinking together while we do it. It was kind of a weird moment.
Why did you say this? Why not just say you're not drinking.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think it really matters why he used that specific excuse. The point is that you did not pick up. Good job.

I've used several different excuses in order to not drink. I think in the early days of sobriety, it is necessary to tell yourself that you wont drink just for today or even just for this hour. At three days, the urge to use/drink can be very strong. Also, in my experience, I've told friends random excuses as to why I wasn't drinking because I didn't want them knowing my situation.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job Musk!!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Musk!!! Man, that took courage and strength!! So proud of you! It gets easier every time we choose to do the next right thing, and stay sober.