Notices

Day 4 and the sun is bright

Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 and the sun is bright

I live in the mountains. We always have a period of time where I have a choice - all within 5 mins of my office or home - hop on the road bike, climb up then ski down the ski hill, run on the paved trail or drive 15 minutes out of town and mountainbike on snow free trails......

At night I struggle. Finding ways to cope - meetings with AA or one of the many organizations/events locally - and last night I didn't go to a meeting as my son wanted to go to a local music event. I took him realizing that the distraction and being with him was a pretty good replacement for a meeting (I consciously thought "do I feel in danger of drinking tonight or will being busy be enough?"). Enjoying an evening sober and full of laughs easily helped me realize that choice over drinking was definitely enough to get me through that night.

I just woke up free of guilt (still have a strange foggy feeling in the morning - not pleasant but not nearly as bad as a guilt filled haze that carries through the day and eases only with the next drink). The sun is up. Forecast is gorgeous.

Today I'm rewording my choice -

I'm asking myself if I want to drink or do I want to zip down the trail on my bike feeling strong and alive....do I want to drink or do I want to take my dogs and my son and hit a ridge trail on our mountainbikes...and remember it....

so many options on a beautiful day.
I'm going outside and welcoming Day 4.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you!!! Your post is very encouraging! I'm proud you made a good choice and the way you made it too! It's sounds like you have a very good perspective. Keep up the good work. Fogginesw is normal. I used to wake up with a hangover even tho I had t had a drink in weeks
Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks sunshine! I have been missing out on so much with my main hobby being drinking for quite some time. Everything else was on the sidelines or a half-hearted attempt to go through the motions of doing things I truly love. I'm optimistic.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good story, Trail.
I think that it's not a situation of: your having to go to an AA meeting or attending a musical performance with family.

You have to do both. That is living life on life's terms.