Notices

Day 2 and my first attempt!

Old 04-23-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 and my first attempt!

So I have realized that I really need to stop drinking. I'm 47 years old and been drinking pretty steady for about 20 years. In Nov I had a weight loss surgery and lost 40 lbs so far. I promised myself I would stop drinking if I got the surgery but it didn't take long to pick up a drink afterwards. I'm drinking daily and to the point that I pass out. I have a 12 year old that really needs me. I don't want her to grow up pissed at me for being drunk all the time. I work a full time job but as soon as I'm out of work I am planning where I'm going to spend happy hour with friends. Happy hour has turned into happy HOURS daily and Saturday at noon, sometimes Sunday. If I don't go out for a drink I stay home and get way too drunk since I know I don't have to drive. I'm hungover most of the time and then I feel guilty as heck after a long drunk weekend. I want to stop feeling the guilt and do the right thing. I've begun to lie about my drinking to my dear sisters and I have 4 of them and this scares the heck out of me. So here goes...on Day 2 and I hope I can do it. Too many people depending on me.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Reescup - great to have you here with us.

I was older, too, when it really caught up with me. Daily drinking & even 24/7 drinking at times. It became tiresome trying to hide it and clean up my messes. It wasn't fun or relaxing anymore - just dangerous. I kicked it to the curb, and you will too. Glad you found us and are ready for a new start.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Brought up some bad memories and sad regrets about my son when he was 12. My relationship with my 22 year old will never be the same, he has seen me at my worst, walked over my passed out body many times. I realized that at the height of my drug use and drinking that I stopped taking pictures of him. So I have all these pictures of him up till the age of 8 and nothing between 8 and 16. He asks me Mom How come I have no pictures from then.

It breaks my heart. My son doesn't even ask me what he was like as a kid, you know why? He knows I have no idea. He has mostly bad memories of his childhood and it makes me tear up every time I think of it.

Get help now, Maybe you can salvage that relationship. My boy did nothing to deserve that. All he wanted was to spend time with his Mom and I was at the bars. Now he is an adult and all I want to do is spend time with him and he has a life now which barely includes me.

I had my chance and I blew it. Try not to blow yours. Glad u r here!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Go It Meeting! I tried and tried, but could never quit. I finally broke down and started attending meetings. I go to 3 a week right now. I am 163 days today. I feel great.

Meetings work. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
Meetings work. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for that little testimony, I wish Everyone would at least give AA a try for 90 days. They would be pretty pleased with the results. But I mean a college try.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reescup01 View Post

on Day 2 and I hope I can do it.
you can do it
sounds corny at first
but
One Day At A Time -- just seems to keep working for many

onehigherpower
Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Weight loss surgery and alcohol have there own problems, you will not be able to keep the weight off if your drinking. I never drank until after my surgery I lost 110lb gain back 70 just from drinking. I was warned that ppl become alcholics after surgery I thought that cant happen to me I never drank, well I was wrong. Im 4mo sober and down 20lb. Good luck you can do this.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your wise and kind words. I have looked up the AA meetings available in my town. Will definitely give it a try hopefully sooner than later. Day 3 and I feel pretty good. Went to a boot camp class this morning came out feeling pretty awesome. Workout class is much better when you don't have a slight hangover. Day 3 I know I can do it....I know I can get through this day without a bump in the road that will throw me off the wagon. One day at a time as Onehigherpower says!! and no it's not corny. I repeat One pound at a time to myself for this weight loss journey I am also on.