Notices

Hopeful

Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hopeful

I'm wondering how to help a loved one quit drinking. Over the past three years I've watched someone who is young,intelligent, attractive, and educated who spent most of their life in the corporate world become unemployed, stop grooming, and start drinking hard alcohol as soon as they wake up. The person that I fell in love with is still there within this overly critical, dramatic, unmotivated body. I don't know what to do. This person has not gone a day without drinking since I met them, and has a history of alcoholism in the immediate family.

This person has flat out told me that if I think about staging an intervention that they will run away and take to the streets.

This person not only has a great business mind but also great writing talent that they have not pursued however the pieces written I have read could probably be published in Harpers or the New Yorker they are that well written.

My father was an alcoholic when I was very little. After many incidents that happened when I was in preschool he quit drinking, therefore I have hope as this person and my father share being not just an alcoholic but stubborn.

My father is no longer here. He passed away of a heart attack years ago before his passing he helped others to quit drinking. I would like to follow his lead. Any advance would be appreciated as I do not believe in giving up on people.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Have you tried the rooms of AA? Ask him to read the big bk(Ch 2&3) & suggest he doesn't have to commit to anything but only to keep an open mind
Old 04-22-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a good suggestion, he was almost convinced to go to AA last summer, then the following day backed out after a long conversation with his mother who told him that his Alcoholism was genetic. I pressed him to go anyway and he drank before and after the meeting and said he related to some things brought up however as we live in a small town I think he felt embarrassed by seeing people he recognized at the meeting, and I offered to drive him to meetings in a neighboring town. Perhaps I should try again, can I purchase big book through al-non or online?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

You can also find the book online here Big Book On Line

Just because his alcoholism may have a genetic componet does not mean AA cannot help him. You should also consult a doctor about detoxing.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
now's the time

An addiction counselor might be a good option for a stubborn person, if he doesn't want to go to meetings. One-on-one therapy provides a lot of chances for debate and disagreement, so if he isn't yet sure about quitting an environment like that might be helpful for him.

Good luck, it's wonderful of you to be there for your friend.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hi DuplicateKeys
Yes he can read it online if he wants to. I'm more of a hands on person coz a bk is right there next to me & I can open it quick(online u gotta wait for internet to pop up etc) & if away from home, I've got an app w/ it in phone...encourage him somehow that going is not embarrassing coz everyone there has been where he's @ now. If nothing changes then nothing changes